Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
In a nutshell.

So. You spend months stating those who don't live in the UK shouldn't have any comment. And now you are siding with May to protect our rights. Are you willfully hypocritical, forgetful? Or just a stupid waste of space with **** all to say for themself?

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
Good for you. If you want to do some willy-waving over who's the more loyal fan I'm game :wink:

I couldn't care a jot about who is the more loyal fan, that is not the point.

If you want to wave the German flag about how great life is in Germany, like you did and always do, that's absolutely fine by me, live and let live.

However there will be undoubted downsides to where you chosen to live, one of which is clearly your proximity to BHA games.

You are welcome to your luxurious top floor blue sky Teutonic lifestyle, for many of us in rainy Blighty we equally love our lives in the UK with its dreary weather because, for example, we have easy access to BHA games, pre game full English breakfasts, pre/post game pints with our mates and all the fun of the football day experience.

Whats more, we are just 2 weeks away from the Cheltenham festival, a week long drinking and punting extravaganza that you can only experience in this country. I for one wouldn't give up that kind of cultural experience up for any number of pork knuckles and sausages.

That's the essential difference you see.........I love this country.
Like I say......enjoy Germany.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
You don't know the answer any more than I do. In fact, I just said IF whereas you seem to be certain. The only thing we know at this precise moment is that the terms of Brexit are completely up for proposition, change and negotiation. Let's do this pissing contest when we know the agreement eh?

So, absolutely stupid to state now what concessions we will make, regardless of what will be offered in return. Thankfully, we're not as stupid as a small minority of remainers who think we should do just that.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Right. It's lunch time.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
Word to the wise: If you are going to go up against anybody in a "better fan" contest, HT probably isn't the best choice for you.

Aww bless, so just between you and me, I really couldn't give a flying fvck how big HT's bobble hat is, believe you me.

HT lives in Germany, getting to BHA games will be more arduous for him than me..........there may well be many "advantages" of living in Germany compared to the UK, getting to BHA games week in week out is not one of them is it?

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I couldn't care a jot about who is the more loyal fan, that is not the point.

If you want to wave the German flag about how great life is in Germany, like you did and always do, that's absolutely fine by me, live and let live.

However there will be undoubted downsides to where you chosen to live, one of which is clearly your proximity to BHA games.

You are welcome to your luxurious top floor blue sky Teutonic lifestyle, for many of us in rainy Blighty we equally love our lives in the UK with its dreary weather because, for example, we have easy access to BHA games, pre game full English breakfasts, pre/post game pints with our mates and all the fun of the football day experience.

Whats more, we are just 2 weeks away from the Cheltenham festival, a week long drinking and punting extravaganza that you can only experience in this country. I for one wouldn't give up that kind of cultural experience up for any number of pork knuckles and sausages.

That's the essential difference you see.........I love this country.
Like I say......enjoy Germany.

It really is a shame Germany is so culturally barren with so few traditions based around sport, food, and drink.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Sensible and spot on. Those on here living in the EU would go nuts if we made a deal here and the EU got vindictive on them living abroad.

Yes, but I'm sure he would consider it 'disgusting' {quote]

The EU using UK families, and citizens, as hostages and bargaining chips, grubby, and desperate. Haven't they got anything else they can offer than human lives.....yeh, that would be disgusting.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Aww bless, so just between you and me, I really couldn't give a flying fvck how big HT's bobble hat is, believe you me.

HT lives in Germany, getting to BHA games will be more arduous for him than me..........there may well be many "advantages" of living in Germany compared to the UK, getting to BHA games week in week out is not one of them is it?

We have a saying here in England. See if you can complete it:

When you are in a hole, stop....?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I'd say disgusting. Using EU families, and citizens, as hostages and bargaining chips is abhorrent, and grubby, and desperate.

this emotive hyperbole and overlooks that the EU themselves have prohibited any "pre-negotiations" before exit talks begin.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Sensible and spot on. Those on here living in the EU would go nuts if we made a deal here and the EU got vindictive on them living abroad.

You need to withdraw this comment as you have previously stated you don't comment or have views on things that have yet to occur, therefore as we have not made any deal and the EU have made no decision you have, given your previous comments, excluded yourself from commenting.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I'm not a big horse racing fan, but isn't Cheltenham more of an Irish invasion than an English cultural event?

Yep, travellers invasion basically. Most Meets are like that all over the country now. I used to frequent Tattenhem Corner regularly and on race days most of the shops shut due to travellers steaming in.

Not a great example of English tradition to give really. Race days are now a mess of flashy betting companies and the travelling community.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Sure, things are not perfect here but as Len McClusky correctly (and finally) identified when we get back control of our labour market we will be able to manage the interests of the workers more effectively.

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...kers-do-best-when-labour-supply-is-controlled

I know it will be a bitter pill for you rabid pro EU free market Tories to swallow, but finally UK Govts' will be able to manage labour supply and demand. This should be great news for the interests of British low and unskilled workers in particular, so long held in contempt by the very politicians that should represent them.

As for the moribund economies of Southern Europe, it's a shame your insight was not shared by the EU technocrats when they were creating the euro and disregarding all the advice they were given about the consequences of tying such varied economies in to a shared currency without the infrastructure to deal with the very crisis that has now occurred.

There is no good news on this now, just the never ending cycles of bail outs, QE, and disintegrating living standards in those countries most affected which will leave them permanently damaged.

I don't need to educate myself about the unprecedented migration of nearly 500,000 of its well educated citizens hollowing out the country..........

http://www.dw.com/en/greece-central...0-young-educated-greeks-since-2008/a-19373527

I think you have the opposite vision of where post EU Britain is headed. It amazes me that someone who thinks th EU cannot be changed, seems confident of switching the UK away from free market capitalism once we have left the EU.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
In that instance she's correct. Good on her for sticking to her guns. Braver than most of the Brexit politicians who dumped us in it and scarpered.

she is not brave by any measurement

next thing is you will be saying that woman on question time last night was brave as well when she voiced her concern about that most important of issues at the top of everyone list......
who would serve her her coffee in pret

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

I live a 90 minute plane ride from Gatwick. I don't live on ****ing Mars. I was at the last two games and even managed to zip home inbetween. I'll be at Derby as well. Traveling by British train from Bristol I imagine is a strain, jumping on a plane for me isn't.

Maybe some plane travel might broaden your narrow mind? Give it a go? I might even treat you out of my air miles.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
she is not brave by any measurement

next thing is you will be saying that woman on question time last night was brave as well when she voiced her concern about that most important of issues at the top of everyone list......
who would serve her her coffee in pret

Don't act stupid. Two completely different women on two different subjects.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It really is a shame Germany is so culturally barren with so few traditions based around sport, food, and drink.

Quite. And it's such a shame that Cheltenham is totally and absolutely inaccessible from Germany and only surmountable by locals.....who all seem to be Irish.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I'd say disgusting. Using EU families, and citizens, as hostages and bargaining chips is abhorrent, and grubby, and desperate. Hasn't May got anything else she can offer than human lives? Can't she trade with the Italians using Prosecco? I'm sure I have heard this. Or maybe use good old fashioned diplomacy?

If you live in Europe it must be pretty tough right now, the behaviour of this government is bringing shame on our nation. Hopefully we'll still have a nation at the end of all this, May's tone north of the border will just boost the SNP

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
I'm not a big horse racing fan, but isn't Cheltenham more of an Irish invasion than an English cultural event?

Not at all, Cheltenham is the home of National Hunt racing, the Irish who travel across are essentially pilgrims making their way to hallowed ground.

I have been going for nearly 30 years and have been a Cheltenham,
member for 15years and in my experience the Irish " invasion" ebbs and flows, there is always a presence but I don't think it's been like it was since 2008.......go figure.

In any event, the attendance of the Irish does not distract from the fact that it is a quintessentially British event, and it is not like they behave cultrally different to the British. The horses are the heroes whether Irish or British, and punters will cheer theirs own regardless of who they are and where the horse is from.

As it should be.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here