Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Haven't posted on this thread for a month or so, but thought I might try to bring things back to the practical issues (might be more relevant than discussions about grammar, etc).

Anyway, one interesting aspect of Brexit is the potential for UK airlines to no longer be able to fly to destinations in the EU. Given Mrs May's desire for a hard Brexit (and the fact that the ECJ is a red line for her), it is entirely possible that - once we are out of the EU - air services between the UK and the EU have to cease. It seems a remote possibility, but once out of the EU, and in the absence of a replacement agreement, we will need to fall back on historic Air Services Agreements with individual EU nations. If EU countries want to play hard-ball they can simply cancel those agreements (with one year's notice). And in the case of Spain, our ASA with them was cancelled some time ago. So, if you are hoping to go on holiday to Spain in 2019, you might have to drive. Logically the Spanish (in particular) will want to welcome UK holiday-makers. But (once Article 50 is triggered) they have a huge bargaining chip. Plus - they can throw Gibraltar into the mix, to make it really interesting.

I'm sure there are thousands (probably hundreds of thousands) of issues like this across all sorts of industries. They aren't really surfacing yet, but the more likely it is we end up with a hard-Brexit, the more the cold practicalities of life outside the EU will begin to emerge.

D

Deleted member 22389

Haven't posted on this thread for a month or so, but thought I might try to bring things back to the practical issues (might be more relevant than discussions about grammar, etc).

Anyway, one interesting aspect of Brexit is the potential for UK airlines to no longer be able to fly to destinations in the EU. Given Mrs May's desire for a hard Brexit (and the fact that the ECJ is a red line for her), it is entirely possible that - once we are out of the EU - air services between the UK and the EU have to cease. It seems a remote possibility, but once out of the EU, and in the absence of a replacement agreement, we will need to fall back on historic Air Services Agreements with individual EU nations. If EU countries want to play hard-ball they can simply cancel those agreements (with one year's notice). And in the case of Spain, our ASA with them was cancelled some time ago. So, if you are hoping to go on holiday to Spain in 2019, you might have to drive. Logically the Spanish (in particular) will want to welcome UK holiday-makers. But (once Article 50 is triggered) they have a huge bargaining chip. Plus - they can throw Gibraltar into the mix, to make it really interesting.

I'm sure there are thousands (probably hundreds of thousands) of issues like this across all sorts of industries. They aren't really surfacing yet, but the more likely it is we end up with a hard-Brexit, the more the cold practicalities of life outside the EU will begin to emerge.

Can't really see the Spanish authorities turning away our tourists can you?. Their economy loses money, it simply will not happen. Thought France was sending over all the migrants,that didn't happen either. These scenarios are always over the top.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

What amazes me is the publics apathy. Just accept it they say, you re-moaner, move on, we're leaving.

We're heading for a giant mess..

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

Anyway, one interesting aspect of Brexit is the potential for UK airlines to no longer be able to fly to destinations in the EU.

yes, just like Emirates, Singapore, Quantas, American... etc all have trouble flying into the EU. i dont know why the Remainers keep wanting to play hypothetical "if the EU want to be nasty and force a hard Brexit" scenarios.

neither do i understand or why there is a myth that May, Davis, et al are targeting a hard Brexit. they haven't been so specific, they are saying that if the EU don't want to play nice, dont want to accept any compromises, we'll be prepared for that scenario. its up to the EU how far they are willing to go to be seen to punish our withdrawal.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
On a more realistic practical level, what is going to happen to trucks at Dover. As a country we are not set up to have full customs checks etc. Do people think that an agreement on all these sorts of things will be in place immediately? The channel tunnel was not created with all of these things in place. There are literally thousands of things like this that need to be sorted and they will start emerging over the next few months and people will realise what a complete mess this is going to be. Make Britain great again.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
That is all you do when you debate and do not get the opinion you want, questions, questions, often with no answer as not psychic.
Debating is opinions mainly not answering countless often pointless questions from one side.

This just illustrates my point in that you don't answer questions, but live in some fantasy world where your opinion on something unrelated to the question is seen by you as an answer, and when challenged you just say I have answered, you don't like my opinion. Perhaps you can provide examples were a question posed is not possible to answer even with a view that may or may happen.

No question is pointless, it is just you either lack the intelligence to answer or you get some satisfaction from not answering.

To illustrate my point, the following question is just one of many examples that could have been listed where you do not answer the actual question posed.

Just out of interest, why to you hope the EU falls apart?

This is a straight forward question. Now that the UK is leaving the EU, why do you want the EU to fall apart and the remaining 27 members to be left in isolation.

Part 2 of the question

Mainland Europe has always been, and surely always will be, one of our closest trading partners.

And Part 3

Wouldn't a colossal upheaval of the kind you wish for have terrible implications for our economy?

Your answer

So what is stopping us still trading with Europe, we used to trade pre the EU. We can trade without set tariffs, without giving millions a day, without dipping into the pot to bail out other economies, and we can NOW make our own laws and decisions.
I hope my answer, (although you may not agree, and ignoring the chap HT who does not live here) is sufficient for you.....but then you know my stance anyway.

How does this answer the first part about the EU falling
How does it answer part 3 about upheaael and implications

Perhaps you would like to answer them now, so everyone can benefit from your insight

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Some figures were released by The BMA yesterday in regards to their members following The Brexit vote:

55% of EU doctors don't feel the UK Government does enough for international doctors.
42% say they're considering leaving the UK
10,000 NHS doctors qualified in the EEA - that's 6.6% of the UK medical workforce.

https://www.bma.org.uk/news/2017/february/an-exit-from-brexit

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Unlike you who does not seem to care much for this country.

That was a bit unnecessary given (a) I wasn't criticising you and (b) I ignored an absurd spelling mistake in the middle of your post about the English language.

I suspect though that the trope that "We're the only true patriots" is among the favourite comfort blankets of Brexiters, closely followed by "Remainers must hate England". The referendum was not a vote on patriotism at all. I have always been grateful to have been born an Englishman, have always taken great pride in many of our nation's achievements - particularly those of 75 years ago - and like most supporters of a traditionally lower league football team have a strong sense of 'place'. Patriotism takes many forms but I don't mind admitting that my eyes prickle at the sound of a Lancaster bomber, and other things besides.

So this is me, the person you casually dismiss as not caring much for his country. An easy, self-satisfied insult to throw. You'll doubtless be writing off millions of other Remain voters in the same way, bathing in the warmth of superior self-righteousness as you do so.

You are blisteringly wrong and reveal more about yourself than anyone else. My concerns about what I see as the rancid, divisive populism of the right and my wish to see Britain at the centre of an evolving European community are driven by a patriot belief in this country.

I think you are very wrong about Brexit but I don't doubt your patriotism. Do not doubt mine, or that of others.

Last edited:

D

Deleted member 22389

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
This just illustrates my point in that you don't answer questions, but live in some fantasy world where your opinion on something unrelated to the question is seen by you as an answer, and when challenged you just say I have answered, you don't like my opinion. Perhaps you can provide examples were a question posed is not possible to answer even with a view that may or may happen.

No question is pointless, it is just you either lack the intelligence to answer or you get some satisfaction from not answering.

To illustrate my point, the following question is just one of many examples that could have been listed where you do not answer the actual question posed.

Just out of interest, why to you hope the EU falls apart?

This is a straight forward question. Now that the UK is leaving the EU, why do you want the EU to fall apart and the remaining 27 members to be left in isolation.

Part 2 of the question

Mainland Europe has always been, and surely always will be, one of our closest trading partners.

And Part 3

Wouldn't a colossal upheaval of the kind you wish for have terrible implications for our economy?

Your answer

So what is stopping us still trading with Europe, we used to trade pre the EU. We can trade without set tariffs, without giving millions a day, without dipping into the pot to bail out other economies, and we can NOW make our own laws and decisions.
I hope my answer, (although you may not agree, and ignoring the chap HT who does not live here) is sufficient for you.....but then you know my stance anyway.

How does this answer the first part about the EU falling
How does it answer part 3 about upheaael and implications

Perhaps you would like to answer them now, so everyone can benefit from your insight

Ok, here we go again, and i hope i won't get detention if the answers do not meet what you want to hear.

1) Question: "Just out of interest, why to you hope the EU falls apart?"
Answer: Firstly i have stated many times that i think the EU WILL fall apart, my opinion based on what I THINK, the mood of other nations in the EU, the countries that are struggling, the way the EU is riding roughshod over some countries.
I hope the EU falls apart because of the reasons set out above.......but then i am sure you know my reasons because i have posted them many times on this forum over the years, but obviously do not answer the same question over and over again.

Part 2 of your question: "Mainland Europe has always been, and surely always will be, one of our closest trading partners."
Answer : They can still be ONE of our closest trading partners, as we theirs, except we can trade under our tariffs without being in the money pit EU...again this is my opinion, which i have stated (ANSWERED) many times pre/post Brexit.

Part 3 (and the school bell is just about to ring)
"Wouldn't a colossal upheaval of the kind you wish for have terrible implications for our economy?

How would i or YOU know, i happen to think it will not in the LONG run, i feel the implications will be good for our economy in the end.
We were told there would be " terrible implications for our economy" from day one, we were doomed, Nearly 9 months on and the "experts" have changed their forecasts.

I hope i have answered the (same) questions AGAIN, and i hope MY opinion is acceptable to you this time Sir.
Dismiss.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
That was a bit unnecessary given (a) I wasn't criticising you and (b) I ignored an absurd spelling mistake in the middle of your post about the English language.

Hmm, perhaps, or were you just being clever.

This was the text you used when replying to my post : " don't think you have to be well-educated to write acceptable English, you just have to care about your country's language"
Naturally, in light of your stance and some previous posts, i thought the reply to MY post was aimed at me.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum

All this was raised by that other bore from Burgess Hill who plays with toy planes.If it comes to it,we'll fly on Ryanair,as usual!All these silly little things are what the 2 leaving years are all about,negotiations.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Meanwhile Remainers secret weapon.........huh.

4hk0k.jpg

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
All this was raised by that other bore from Burgess Hill who plays with toy planes.If it comes to it,we'll fly on Ryanair,as usual!All these silly little things are what the 2 leaving years are all about,negotiations.

Sorry if I bore you! At least I haven't posted on here for some time, so I won't have bored you for at least a month or so.

By the way - if there's no Air Services Agreement in place it doesn't matter which airline it is (Ryanair can't rally to the rescue). And, given that we're an island, being able to fly is pretty important. Logically it SHOULD get sorted out, but lots of people are getting pretty nervous. Theresa May thinks that, if we don't get the deal we want, then "No deal is better than a bad deal". The problem is, No Deal means no rights to fly to/from the EU (or several other countries, who we access currently through EU deals). At some point the full horror of a "No Deal" scenario will become clear. Even the Daily Mail might then start to think "Sh1t....all this crap just to get rid of those nasty Polish builders and Spanish nurses taking all "our" jobs..."

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Amazing how money changes people's opinions.

More amazing that after voting for him the first time (he was convincing, convinced me) that plums voted for him again, and again.
Then those people come on here and try to convince us that Labour would walk the last election :lolol: and that Corbyn (gone very quiet on that front) was the new Messaih, the Chosen One, Simply The Best.....etc etc.
Questions, questions, maybe a bit of listening might help.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here