Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
You want to pay £8.40 a month to have access to fewer places to live, work and travel freely? To have access to fewer job opportunities?
Weird.

I said I would willingly pay two quid a week if that was what it cost to leave the EU. That was very clear in my post. Not very quick on the uptake, are you? Now be quiet - there's a football match to concentrate on.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
John Mann says it as it is about Diane Abbott...

Diane Abbott "bottled it" says Labour MP - she must "resign" over her Article 50 "sick note"

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
From paragraph 2.1 of the white paper

"whilst parliament has remained sovereign throughout our membership of the EU, it hasn't always felt like that."

Judging by the likes I got on this one I think the irony of this statement has gone right over some people's heads. Put it this way, I don't remember Farage or The Daily Express saying this during the campaign.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Lib Dems take Rotherham from labour even though 67% voted leave. What the hell is going on there?

shows there's more to politics, especially local council, than Brexit :shrug: (or perhaps this should have been in the Corbyn victory thread :p )

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Weird. It is like paying more a month for fewer TV channels.
No, it's your inability to understand that the referendum vote wasn't all about the economy that is weird. Cameron thought it was all about the economic argument too - and lost.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
I said I would willingly pay two quid a week if that was what it cost to leave the EU. That was very clear in my post. Not very quick on the uptake, are you? Now be quiet - there's a football match to concentrate on.

I don't want to be picky but surely your interlocutor was simply equating 'getting out and staying out of the EU' with having 'fewer places to live, work and travel freely'. No one is arguing that that is not a fair equation. I appreciate that Leavers don't feel that the freedom to live, work and travel is worth the price the nation pays for EU membership in other ways but I can't see why you claim Plooks is slow on the uptake. You're both talking about the same thing.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I don't want to be picky but surely your interlocutor was simply equating 'getting out and staying out of the EU' with having 'fewer places to live, work and travel freely'. No one is arguing that that is not a fair equation. I appreciate that Leavers don't feel that the freedom to live, work and travel is worth the price the nation pays for EU membership in other ways but I can't see why you claim Plooks is slow on the uptake. You're both talking about the same thing.
So do you remainers all know exactly where we won't be able to live, work or travel? Do you even have the slightest idea if that will change at all? Or is that the same kind of knowing that there would be a huge financial meltdown? We worked and travelled freely before 1973, you know.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
No, it's your inability to understand that the referendum vote wasn't all about the economy that is weird. Cameron thought it was all about the economic argument too - and lost.

It's certainly part of the argument, even though it isn't all about it.

I have to have a specific gel for my eyes. It is made in Germany, and in September it cost £2.92. As it cost so little, I haven't got it on my two page list of prescriptions, which as a pensioner, I get free of charge. Every little helps.
In October the price had nearly doubled to £5.95.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
It's certainly part of the argument, even though it isn't all about it.

I have to have a specific gel for my eyes. It is made in Germany, and in September it cost £2.92. As it cost so little, I haven't got it on my two page list of prescriptions, which as a pensioner, I get free of charge. Every little helps.
In October the price had nearly doubled to £5.95.
The pound has dropped in value, but not that much. Nothing else has changed - no customs duties or new taxation etc, etc.The manufacturer, or the retailer, has obviously decided they want to hike up their profits. They might even be trying to claim it's because of Brexit, but it clearly isn't; if that's what they're claiming it's just an excuse. There's some other factor that's driving this price hike - might be something interesting for you to find out?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The pound has dropped in value, but not that much. Nothing else has changed - no customs duties or new taxation etc, etc.The manufacturer, or the retailer, has obviously decided they want to hike up their profits. They might even be trying to claim it's because of Brexit, but it clearly isn't; if that's what they're claiming it's just an excuse. There's some other factor that's driving this price hike - might be something interesting for you to find out?

The retailer is Boots chemist and my local chemist, so, as you say, it could be the manufacturer.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The retailer is Boots chemist and my local chemist, so, as you say, it could be the manufacturer.
Fair play to you for paying for a low cost medication yourself rather than putting it on your prescription - I do the same myself. Maybe it's time now for you to get it added to your prescription - certainly wouldn't blame you!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here