Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
"Excluding Germany, Britain’s contribution to the EU budget is more than the total net contribution of the 26 other EU states combined."

https://order-order.com/2017/01/12/eu-faces-funding-cliff-edge/

That sounds like a quite a good, possibly even existential, reason for them to come up with a reasonable settlement?

Us leaving could indeed put a massive hole in their budgets, could be a reason to create a situation where a lot of our Financial sector has a benefit in moving into the EU, or we have to pay a large fee for access.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
The experts are still sure, it is going to hurt. What they did get wrong was that they expected Britain to start bringing it's knees together in anticipation of the kick in the balls they are likely to get, they had not factored in that those daft enough to vote leave, were also daft enough to stand there with their legs wide open, and believe that because the harder they kick our balls, the more their foot will ache, they won't kick us very hard at all.

See self-fulfilling prophecy. It's almost like some have a vested interest in seeing Brexit fail.

At least those 'daft enough to vote leave' can offer an available target. :p

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
See self-fulfilling prophecy. It's almost like some have a vested interest in seeing Brexit fail.

YAWN . Same old same old, Boring

Nothing more to add other than these unrelated leave posts seem to go together like salt and pepper, Fish and chips....

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

I have a vested interest in Brexit not being the "hard" version that you and others have advocated. Those amongst you that just want to pull out, revert to whatever tariffs are widely used in the WTO and start from there are pushing for the situation that will do us the most harm.
As far as I can tell, people who want to leave want to control immigration, have no EU drafted legislation in our land, and not pay large fees to the EU. I can't see us getting a good deal whilst sticking to those principles. If we don't stick to those principles, would 52% of the population still want to leave?

What are you referring to as a self fulfilling prophecy?

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
I have a vested interest in Brexit not being the "hard" version that you and others have advocated. Those amongst you that just want to pull out, revert to whatever tariffs are widely used in the WTO and start from there are pushing for the situation that will do us the most harm.
As far as I can tell, people who want to leave want to control immigration, have no EU drafted legislation in our land, and not pay large fees to the EU. I can't see us getting a good deal whilst sticking to those principles. If we don't stick to those principles, would 52% of the population still want to leave?

What are you referring to as a self fulfilling prophecy?

I prefer the term 'real' Brexit.

If we don't broadly stick to those principles I expect many of the 52% will be angry and resentful so unlikely to think let's give up, not bother and change their vote. Far more likely they will punish the Government and head in UKIP's direction at the next GE which is why May looks like she is tip toeing towards something more like real/hard Brexit.

Experts economic forecasts. For instance, if the UK public and businesses had all believed the doomsday post vote scenarios most would have stopped spending, stopped investing, stopped recruiting .. most likely bringing on the very recession some predicted.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border

If we don't broadly stick to those principles I expect many of the 52% will be angry and resentful so unlikely to think let's give up, not bother and change their vote. Far more likely they will punish the Government and head in UKIP's direction at the next GE which is why May looks like she is tip toeing towards something more like real/hard Brexit.

Experts economic forecasts. For instance, if the UK public and businesses had all believed the doomsday post vote scenarios most would have stopped spending, stopped investing, stopped recruiting .. most likely bringing on the very recession some predicted.

So many leavers are not prepared to accept whatever the best deal is for the UK unless it is a 'real' Brexit that fits with their requirement. So what has happened to accepting the decisions of Parliament now that we have our country back.

When the uprising starts can you start by burning down the hotbeds of leave voters

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

I see, so if May does it your way, and it all goes Pete Tong, it is the fault of the experts and people believing them, and if it doesn't, the experts just got it wrong.
See having your cake and eating it.
I am still predicting a recession by the way, not that I am an expert, but I don't think any sort of bridging deal for Financial services is going to work for the EU. Carney is predicting 2% growth for the next year, he is guessing that not much will change until nearer the end of negotiations, I think some businesses will want to avoid the rush and start setting up divisions elsewhere sooner, if the stance of the Government is "real" Brexit.
If it starts out as a more open negotiation without red lines being drawn, we might be alright for a while longer, a cheap pound whilst we still have the same trading terms will help exports, and inward tourism will have a boost as it is cheaper for almost everyone from anywhere to come and visit.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Good grief.Is Poland top of the pops because of all the social payments they get here,or is that on top?

It is part of the philosophy that the wealthiest in society should pay to support the less well off and give them a hand up. You could have a look at the UK as regions and see how much is raised in revenue in the south east, and how much is spent from Treasury funds in the north west.
I suspect that if you break it down in to per head terms, the imbalance is not so vastly in Polands favour

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
So many leavers are not prepared to accept whatever the best deal is for the UK unless it is a 'real' Brexit that fits with their requirement. So what has happened to accepting the decisions of Parliament now that we have our country back.

When the uprising starts can you start by burning down the hotbeds of leave voters

Well derrr ... it is astonishing how many die hard Remain types on this thread seem to think the reasons why people voted Leave are of no significance and they can have a second go at staying in via the soft Brexit option.

Parliament agreed by an overwhelming majority to outsource the decision and the government wisely seem more inclined to placate the will and desire of the majority.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The experts are still sure, it is going to hurt. What they did get wrong was that they expected Britain to start bringing it's knees together in anticipation of the kick in the balls they are likely to get, they had not factored in that those daft enough to vote leave, were also daft enough to stand there with their legs wide open, and believe that because the harder they kick our balls, the more their foot will ache, they won't kick us very hard at all.
Some of your previous posts were at least rational, even if many of us disagreed with them. On the sauce or getting desperate? Your choice.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
F**ing pathetic.

What a wonderful response I am so glad that in some little way I have brought some sunshine into your life and brightened your day.

I can now sleep soundly in the knowledge that harmony within the out/in voters is far closer than it was before.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
I see, so if May does it your way, and it all goes Pete Tong, it is the fault of the experts and people believing them, and if it doesn't, the experts just got it wrong.
See having your cake and eating it.
I am still predicting a recession by the way, not that I am an expert, but I don't think any sort of bridging deal for Financial services is going to work for the EU. Carney is predicting 2% growth for the next year, he is guessing that not much will change until nearer the end of negotiations, I think some businesses will want to avoid the rush and start setting up divisions elsewhere sooner, if the stance of the Government is "real" Brexit.
If it starts out as a more open negotiation without red lines being drawn, we might be alright for a while longer, a cheap pound whilst we still have the same trading terms will help exports, and inward tourism will have a boost as it is cheaper for almost everyone from anywhere to come and visit.

If May (rightly) delivers something like real Brexit it won't go 'Pete Tong' unless the EU decides to take such a hard line in negotiations that it causes significant economic damage on all sides. I doubt this will happen as money/vested interests usually hold sway and the EU ..specifically the Eurozone countries are in no position to play hardball. To be clear I am not saying we can expect the same deal as we have now but the final agreement will most likely be economically palatable.

If you keep predicting a recession (1,2,5,10 years?) at some point it will inevitably happen ... linking it to Brexit is, of course, a given.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here