Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Whooooosh!
You totally miss my point.If Great Britain is as bad as you lot make out,and is going to get worse,why do so many EU citizens want to come here instead of Germany,France etc.?Knowing that we are leaving should surely tell them not to make their arduous way here,when there are heavens-on-Earth so much closer.And don't come the old 'most of them are students' cobblers!:glare:

Maybe I missed your point because I was asking how it would be easier to repatriate illegal immigrants once out of the EU, or maybe I missed your point because it is not true that more people from the EU come here than anywhere else, so give yourself a whoooosh.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Quite a lot, I would suggest.

To be fair I think you're right , Turkey joining (I don't believe the waffle that they are years away, or didn't before the recent coup attempt) was the reason that swayed me towards voting out.

Last edited:

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
My point exactly, thank you.

I think your brain is jet-lagged.You can have a vote to re-join the EU in 40 years time then,if there's any of it left :lolol:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
To be fair I think you're right , Turkey joining (I don't believe the waffle that they are years away, or didn't before the recent coup attempt) was the reason that swayed me towards voting out.

He wasn't talking about Turkey joining the EU, but that Brexiters were voting to keep individual Turkish workers from coming here to work (on fixed term work permits); two very different things.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Quite a lot, I would suggest.
None that I knew, anyway.. Most Brexiters have the intelligence to know that as Turkey is not in the EU, the ability of Turkish workers to come here - or not - would not be affected one way or the other by Brexit. Have another straw...............

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
He wasn't talking about Turkey joining the EU, but that Brexiters were voting to keep individual Turkish workers from coming here to work (on fixed term work permits); two very different things.

I wasn't aware of the fixed term permit being mentioned before the Brexit vote though. As I understood it, agricultural worker numbers have fallen since the vote, hence the NFU's concern and wanting to trial the permits next year for non-EU workers, long before freedom of movement has ended. I merely mentioned Turkey as it's a populous country, close by, and non-EU. Perhaps we'll take workers who want to come here from Commonwealth countries like Pakistan instead.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
[
.......................hence the NFU's concern and wanting to trial the permits next year for non-EU workers, long before freedom of movement has ended..
Sounds a sensible idea. NFU planning for life post-Brexit instead of moaning about it and trying to overturn the country's decision. Well done them.

Perhaps we'll take workers who want to come here from Commonwealth countries like Pakistan instead.
As we've been doing since before we ever joined the EEU.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
what about the women?

That's very true. I met my future wife when she was in the UK on a working holiday visa, when it was open to more than just Australians, Canadians, Japanese or New Zealanders, as it now and she was from a non-EU, developing country as it stood.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
[
Sounds a sensible idea. NFU planning for life post-Brexit instead of moaning about it and trying to overturn the country's decision. Well done them.

As we've been doing since before we ever joined the EEU.

Unskilled work visas to non-EU citizens were stopped in 2008, I believe.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
WHOOOOOOSH!
Nowhere did I mention asylum seekers.I know the EU is bad,and getting worse,but I am not aware of Great Britain being awash with refugees yet from Italy,France,and Germany.My point was about EU citizens from eastern Europe coming here when the EU-heavens-on-Earth are so much nearer to them,and 'doing so much better'.:lol:.To use a saying of yours,'do try to keep up'.:thumbsup:

Oh dear.

This whole conversation has been about illegal immigrants and, as was pointed out earlier (you may have missed it) illegal immigrants tend not to be EU citizens from eastern Europe. Illegal immigrants are almost by definition from other parts of the world, hence the reference to asylum seekers.

(Can I also mention that I have never used the saying "do try to keep up". You really do seem to be in a state of confusion.)

5ways

Sep 18, 2012
I don't remember stopping Turkish people coming to the UK to work being mentioned in the leave campaign. I'm not sure how many Brexiters thought as they were putting the X on their voting slips that this was anything to do with Turkish people. Very few, I would suggest.

Hilarious. One of the greatest and most obvious lies was the charge that Turkey would soon be joining the EU throwing open the doors to 80m Muslims.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Educated and highly skilled in what ?

They have a large number of graduates apparently, many of whom are unemployed. So have we obviously, but for whatever reason The NFU are looking at non-EU workers next summer to work on our farms. I'm sure plenty of these unemployed young Turks with degrees would be keen.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Higher inflation, lower pound......

You can keep talking about one set of data but a trend is clear. I wonder how you are going to dismiss all the 2017 figures, other than say its down to Trump, China and anyone else other than the Brexit vote.

Hold on a sec, why do you morph from global slowdown onto Trump and Brexit, when exactly did the global slowdown start, I can cite probably Brazil, China and the EU region has been pretty dire too as precursor to it, so anytime from 2008 onwards when there was no Brexit or Trump factor, you and others at the time assumed smugly and once again inaccurately that we would stay embedded in the EU and that Clinton would overcome an unlikely Trump win and still it was slowing down.

By the way, higher inflation and a weaker pound, both not an exact indicator of current and future performance might then be added too by more favourable data that you choose to ignore, its a nonsense.

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
Hilarious. One of the greatest and most obvious lies was the charge that Turkey would soon be joining the EU throwing open the doors to 80m Muslims.

Of course the vote was before Erdogan went full dictator, and there was a live ongoing application for Turkey to join the EU. Easy to forget.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
None that I knew, anyway.. Most Brexiters have the intelligence to know that as Turkey is not in the EU, the ability of Turkish workers to come here - or not - would not be affected one way or the other by Brexit. Have another straw...............

You quoted one immediately before you replied to me, he is not the only one on this thread.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Hold on a sec, why do you morph from global slowdown onto Trump and Brexit, when exactly did the global slowdown start,

Showing all the signs of some other leavers on here, in not reading and understanding what has been written before jumping in with a comment that has not bearing on the previous one.

......all the 2017 figures....... this is a big clue for you. I have not stated anywhere that we are (currently) in a global slowdown, but if you can prove otherwise please do share

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here