[Politics] Brexit

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Does that explain why Richmond Park decided to throw out a pro-Brexit MP though? By a staggering reversal of voting patterns. Having said that Richmond Park since its creation in 1997 was LD until 2010.

I'm not sure but it would fit with the theory. Richmond Park is one of the economic winners of recent
decades. Perhaps we are seeing in its crudest terms a lining up of the haves on one
side and the have nots on the other.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Go to Wakefield, see the large number of men with thick necks. Perhaps it is the popularity of rugby league in those parts, but it is something I observed. I was responding to a comment about a night out in Wakefield, a night out in Wakefield means pubs. I was not at the opera.

What a shame.Wakefield has a very nice Opera House,but I suppose someone with your prejudices cannot imagine culture existing anywhere north of Islington.And you would appear to come from the biggest slum in Sussex!

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
But so they stay as freedom of movement is retained, or do they stay under grandfather rights, or do they need to apply for and pay for a work visa, and if so how long is the work visa valid for.

Given that one of the longed for needs for leavers is controlled immigration then the issue of existing migrants is a valid one, and we still have no idea on what basis they will stay under. Clearly if a visa system is imposed for staying into the future, then some may be rejected.

Personally I would expect those here after a set date would have grandfather rights.

The reason why there is no decision on migrants rights is the EU have refused to discuss it until Article 50 is triggered.What a surprise!

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Can someone tell me how we can close the borders to EU workers when they will have the right to transit the country to get into Ireland? Wil we run sealed trains from the Channel Tunnel to Holyhead?

It just seems another justification for ID cards in the longterm. Which was proposed by (New) Labour but voted down by Tories and LibDems. I bet UKIP backs that idea.

The Irish border question is a troubler for sure..

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
But you never respond do you? You never stand on your own two feet. This is the point. You just agree with your like-minded friends or vacuously paste stuff which you seemingly haven't fully read and certainly not fully understood. And when you are pressed for a response you always use the line above; in any walk of life if you repeatedly say "I'll reply when I want to" it means you're either slow-witted, don't have a response or both. I know this, everyone else knows this and most of all you know this.

Yeah ok, think what you like. You are so arrogant, i expect it comes from where you live, it's no wonder you were not made welcome in most of Yorkshire is it, or was it your quick wit.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Yeah ok, think what you like. You are so arrogant, i expect it comes from where you live, it's no wonder you were not made welcome in most of Yorkshire is it, or was it your quick wit.

And where exactly did I say I was not made welcome? Challenge my posts....but please don't lie and make stuff up. Or is this yet another example of you not being able to fully understand written English?

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
Go to Wakefield, see the large number of men with thick necks. Perhaps it is the popularity of rugby league in those parts, but it is something I observed. I was responding to a comment about a night out in Wakefield, a night out in Wakefield means pubs. I was not at the opera.

I am sorry why does it mean pubs? Given where your location is I am not really sure you have the right to look down on anyone.

I think you will find the thick necks are there are a lot of people that work out in the area, and as others have said it is a rugby league heartland so there will be as many men the pubs playing rugby as there are playing saturday/sunday league down here, but as a much more physical sport you need to be built compared to someone playing football

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

And pointing out your short-comings doesn't make me arrogant. Maybe you're confusing the word with observant?

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
The thread should contain the words "contains binfestery" failing that "school blowsery".......as you were.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I think you're being unfair to Ted, he had fought in WW2 and was like most people sickened with the historic Franco-German power schism running through Western Europe which had in 70 years produced 3 conflicts since 1870. Also France and Italy both had very vigorous Communist movements in the 1950's, there would have been a big desire to build up a pan-Europe ideal to counter USSR power in the East.
Once the Commonwealth had started to fall apart and geographical factors began to sway Canada, Australia and NZ out of the family and South Africa was cast out, that only left GB the EFTA group, who were the also-runs in economical terms. Most of EFTA then joined the EEC/EU after we did.
Unfair to Ted? Sorry, absolutely no way!
As for the falling apart of the Commonwealth (actually I thought it was still going strong!), well, if you're referring to the falling off of some of the trading patterns - New Zealand lamb being a prime example - that happened after we joined, and as a result of joining, the common market. Still, good old Teddy got his yacht.....................

Last edited:

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I am sorry why does it mean pubs? Given where your location is I am not really sure you have the right to look down on anyone.

I think you will find the thick necks are there are a lot of people that work out in the area, and as others have said it is a rugby league heartland so there will be as many men the pubs playing rugby as there are playing saturday/sunday league down here, but as a much more physical sport you need to be built compared to someone playing football
It's an odd thing that this thread is exposing prejudice. Prejudice against the north of England and the working class.

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
It's an odd thing that this thread is exposing prejudice. Prejudice against the north of England and the working class.

You make think so but it is rife, especially in this part of the country, I have come across more than enough people in the South East that say they are on the side of the working class yet say they would never have gone down a pit as that is for someone lower down in society than them, even if they are considered as working class as you get in this part of the country.

That by the way is not all but would cover many people

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
And pointing out your short-comings doesn't make me arrogant. Maybe you're confusing the word with observant?

As you do not know me, your opinion really does not bother me, probably the same as you coming across as an arrogant know all that lectures others on issues that are in a diffeent country to which he lives in.....just opinions eh.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
As you do not know me, your opinion really does not bother me, probably the same as you coming across as an arrogant know all that lectures others on issues that are in a diffeent country to which he lives in.....just opinions eh.

It's the greatest hits set today:

Wonky grammar and spelling mistakes - check
Uses the "I'll respond when I want to" get out when it's gets a bit challenging - check
Disappears when it gets challenging - check
Doesn't live in the UK - check

You've now exhausted your repertoire (http://www.dictionary.com/browse/repertoire). I'm therefore looking forward to your next response; go on.....surprise me!

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
But so they stay as freedom of movement is retained, or do they stay under grandfather rights, or do they need to apply for and pay for a work visa, and if so how long is the work visa valid for.

Given that one of the longed for needs for leavers is controlled immigration then the issue of existing migrants is a valid one, and we still have no idea on what basis they will stay under. Clearly if a visa system is imposed for staying into the future, then some may be rejected.

Personally I would expect those here after a set date would have grandfather rights.

Why do you keep on about freedom of movement, when what you're really beefing about - and worrying unnecessarily about - is freedom of staying still! I'll say it again, for those of you still under the thrall of project fear, repatriation of foreign citizens who are currently living and working in a country not their own isn't on the cards.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
It's the greatest hits set today:

Wonky grammar and spelling mistakes - check
Uses the "I'll respond when I want to" get out when it's gets a bit challenging - check
Disappears when it gets challenging - check
Doesn't live in the UK - check

You've now exhausted your repertoire (http://www.dictionary.com/browse/repertoire). I'm therefore looking forward to your next response; go on.....surprise me!

You sound a bit sour kraut.
I do not use the spell checker. I suppose i should knowing that a far superior know all like yourself will pick me up on it.
Do you not have any German message boards where you can bore the pants off people.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
You make think so but it is rife, especially in this part of the country, I have come across more than enough people in the South East that say they are on the side of the working class yet say they would never have gone down a pit as that is for someone lower down in society than them, even if they are considered as working class as you get in this part of the country.

That by the way is not all but would cover many people
Sadly, what you say is true. I lived up north a number of years and unfortunately there is similar discrimination against southerners from some people. The northerners understandably are often a bit resentful at the Londoncentric nature of the country and southerners are often snooty about northerners feeling they are uncultured, unsophisticated etc. It's not something I am proud of in my country.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports