[Politics] Brexit

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
European Parliament President Martin Schulz said on Thursday that he would stand down in January and run in next year’s elections in Germany, where he is seen as a potential rival to Chancellor Angela Merkel.

The 60-year-old, who has been a member of the European Union’s legislature for the past 22 years, said it was “not an easy decision” to quit.

I bet it was not an easy decision to quit :smile:, at least he will be able to walk down most streets in Europe and not be recognised.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Just out of interest why do so many Brexit enthusiasts feel it's amusing to dole out patronising personal derision to those of different opinions whilst squealing like electrocuted piglets when anything remotely similar comes back?

Omg have a look at what you've posted over the run of this thread. Somewhat more patronising than that

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
I've got Sky News on in the background because the Brexit types on here tell me the BBC is terribly biased. Three of the first four items have been deeply gloomy reports about the effects of leaving on the economy, on universities and on the future ownership on British technology companies so obviously Sky is hopelessly warped too. What should I tune into now? Soulman extols the virtues of Russia Today for its even-handedness. Are there any other agenda-free broadcasters out there or is RT the only one?

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
I've got Sky News on in the background because the Brexit types on here tell me the BBC is terribly biased. Three of the first four items have been deeply gloomy reports about the effects of leaving on the economy, on universities and on the future ownership on British technology companies so obviously Sky is hopelessly warped too. What should I tune into now? Soulman extols the virtues of Russia Today for its even-handedness. Are there any other agenda-free broadcasters out there or is RT the only one?
It's a good question. My sincere advice would be to go to the source of the news story (OBR, IFS etc etc) and read it yourself. Most of our news sources will spin it one way or another, and will find what suits them and present it as cast-iron fact. Unfortunately things are rarely as simple as painted. If I could find a mainstream news source that was genuinely impartial, I'd pay to watch/listen/read it.

Not found it yet, Left or Right.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Soulman extols the virtues of Russia Today for its even-handedness. Are there any other agenda-free broadcasters out there or is RT the only one?

Did i, i think i put up a clip that was included on RT....where did i "extols the virtues of Russia Today for its even-handedness.".... i rather think you have put that thought in your own mind.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

Think most of the Brexiteers would like a Murdoch Fox News UK channel....

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Soulman extols the virtues of Russia Today for its even-handedness. Are there any other agenda-free broadcasters out there or is RT the only one?

Ok, iv'e dragged up my post, where do i "extols the virtues of Russia Today for its even-handedness"... ???? See my post below.

Yesterday's Brexit Feet protest outside Parliament, courtesy of RT (The BBC must have been busy...)

"The UK people voted overwhelmingly to leave. This Parliament here is holding it up all they can."

"Politicians are stalling the process. They should trigger Article 50 straight away."

"There are lots of people out there who want to undo the will of the people."

"It is not only about the UK. When Britain leaves it is showing the way for the whole of the European nations, that they can have decisions of their own - Polish, French, Spanish, Greece."

#Brexit #Article50

The BBC rushed down to Parliament when the Remoaners had a gathering.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex

rather than ignoring one news source because somebody has told you this or that why not watch or read as many news sources as possible from all sides.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
rather than ignoring one news source because somebody has told you this or that why not watch or read as many news sources as possible from all sides.

Tis ok, i have just quoted my post where i " "extols the virtues of Russia Today for its even-handedness".... lol. It was a piece on RT that did not make certain other news stations....the even handed ones no doubt :smile:

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Its a mess.
Its going to get far worse and the Government do not have a clue what to do, meanwhile companies who import raw materials from Europe are already seeing their costs rise.
It was a mistake of monumental proportions.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Its a mess.
Its going to get far worse and the Government do not have a clue what to do, meanwhile companies who import raw materials from Europe are already seeing their costs rise.
It was a mistake of monumental proportions.

Import full stop not just from Europe, higher inflation on its way, but too many heads in the sand from those happy they have got the country back to appreciate this.

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
How do you reach that conclusion? Wages in real terms have been decreasing, but how would Brexit arrest that? It might, but how?

It won't. But for some reason he thinks it will. UK wages are at a level comparable to Greece.

Collapse%2Bin%2BUK%2Breal%2Bwages.jpg

That graph was made from TUC report back in July........

https://www.tuc.org.uk/economic-iss...ed-sharpest-wage-fall-any-leading-economy-tuc

Interesting how France (who have comparable levels of immigration to Britain) and Germany (who have a higher level of immigration than Britain) are topping the list of wage growth.

Reasons for the decline?

The Tories have been carrying out one of the most radically right-wing economic experiments ever tested at the national level. The Tory policy of wage repression is designed to turn the UK into a low-skill, low-wage low-job security economy where bosses earn fortunes and employees are treated like disposable pawns.

While most of the rest of Europe have experienced some wage growth since 2007, including crisis devastated economies like Spain (+2.8%) Ireland (+1.6%) and Italy (+0.9%), UK workers have seen a catastrophic decline in earning power only matched by workers in the economic catastrophe zone that is Greece (-10.4%).

Ordinary British workers have seen the deliberate decimation of their wages since the Lib-Dems enabled the Tories back into power in 2010. Meanwhile the super wealthy minority have literally doubled their wealth since the economic crisis.

Aside from overseeing the longest sustained decline in wages in economic history, a reduction in earning power only matched by the crisis stricken Greek economy, a huge upwards redistribution of wealth, and the slowest economic recovery on record, the Tories have also been savagely attacking working rights too.

The Tories have attacked the right to compensation for unfair dismissal by introducing huge tribunal fees, they've tried to bribe workers into giving away their employment rights, they've been ruthlessly attacking the trade unions to make trade union democracy completely unworkable, they've slashed in-work benefits for the working poor, and they've overseen a massive increase in exploitative Zero Hours contracts as used by Sports Direct.

The fact that the British public have become a hopelessly docile bunch is evidenced by the almost complete lack of reaction to these attacks on workers' rights and wages designed to produce a deliberate upwards redistribution of wealth. In fact the party that set the destruction of workers' rights and wages as one of their deliberate policy priorities are soaring ahead in the polls!

Just look at the furious way the French have reacted to attacks on their employment rights, and consider that they've enjoyed a 10% increase in their earning power since the pre-crisis period. In Britain we've had a 10% decrease in our earning power and most people have sat back compliantly as the Tories have repeatedly snatched our employment rights away.

The situation is likely to get even worse now because Theresa May has appointed a fanatical right-winger called George Freeman as her policy director. In the past Freeman has championed policies like slashing the minimum wage in poor areas, reducing corporation tax to 10% (half the basic rate of income tax paid by their workers!), and the scrapping of workers' rights to basic protections like holiday pay, maternity/paternity pay, sick pay and the right to claim unfair dismissal.

The sad thing is that the mainstream media have allowed this radical and unprecedented Tory assault on wages and labour rights to go almost completely unreported. Instead they try to refocus people's anger away from the political villains and the super-rich establishment they serve, and onto scapegoats like immigrants, the unemployed and disabled people.

Additionally the mainstream press are conducting an intensive propaganda war against Jeremy Corbyn because he dares to stand up for ordinary workers against this Tory anti-worker agenda, whilst simultaneously lauding Theresa May for her transparently misleading rhetoric about how the Tories are going to help ordinary working people instead of the privileged few.

A look at Theresa May's voting record reveals that she voted time and again in favour of attacks on wages, in-work benefits and workers rights, yet she thinks the British public are such a gullible bunch of halfwits that they'll believe the ridiculous story that the Tories are now interested in serving the interests of the workers rather than the interests of the millionaire bosses who actually fund the Tory party.

Unfortunately, according to the polls she is right. The British public really are that gullible. Millions of working people actually support the party that has been systematically destroying their earning power and employment rights for the last six years.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Regardless of which side of the argument yuou are on, posting totally unsubstantiated rubbish like that and labelling it as fact doesn't help your cause one bit.

I'm in the Facebook 'We are the 48 Percent' group that's 20,000 strong and I can assure you people posting are as vehemently opposed to Brexit as they were in June, it's clear Remainers are not softening their position. Most of the media is also reporting Leavers having second thoughts too, the pro- Brexit gathering yesterday was a fiasco and UKIP have had a poor 5 months.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Interesting how France (who have comparable levels of immigration to Britain) and Germany (who have a higher level of immigration than Britain) are topping the list of wage growth.

Reasons for the decline?

in the case of France, double the unemployment: no employment, no wages so dont count in the wage growth. their nominal wage growth is in decimal points, and inflation lower (negative for some period) while we had a period of relatively high inflation 2010-2012. Germany nominal wage growth has been more similar to ours, but that low inflation works much more in their favour. i dont like to get into immigration issue, but the rules on what they can do are different between countries and its stupid to ignore that migrant labour in many areas of the economy is holding down wages.

i was told today by someone in the trade how difficult it was to get electricians, they can find "local lads" because they dont take it up, so rely on contractors using east europeans. it not the migrants fault if kids here cant be arsed.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
brexit.jpg

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I'm in the Facebook 'We are the 48 Percent' group that's 20,000 strong and I can assure you people posting are as vehemently opposed to Brexit as they were in June, it's clear Remainers are not softening their position. Most of the media is also reporting Leavers having second thoughts too, the pro- Brexit gathering yesterday was a fiasco and UKIP have had a poor 5 months.

Many sensible remainers have accepted the result. They may not like it, but they respect the rule of democracy more. The Prime Minister for one. One person who voted remain who will now vote leave makes your statement rubbish. And 20,000 - pft! Is that all you've got?

Delusional! But keep on dreaming................................

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports