Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
That is not quite true about Osborne. He stated that there would need to be an emergency budget with almost immediate effect.

What level of Quantitative Easing would we have seen then,one wonders.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
That is not quite true about Osborne. He stated that there would need to be an emergency budget with almost immediate effect.

Yes, I didn't put it as plainly as I could have. I was trying to say that if Cameron had immediately gone to the EU and given notice that we were leaving, as he had said he would do, we would have been in a more difficult situation than we are. In those circumstances it may well have been necessary to have a new Budget.
There is now a secretary of state with a department that did not exist at the time of the last budget, I have no idea what the cost of this new department is or will be, but if it does not require a reallocation of other department budgets, it will require some unbudgeted borrowing.
Unless we get a grant from the EU for withdrawing:shrug:

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
Yes, Farage was trying to reassure, but he used examples of Nations in the single market, it is then disingenuous to say that UKIP have distanced themselves from a Norway or Switzerland type arrangement.

I would disagree that George Osborne is or was a top expert, but he was qualified to give an opinion on what would be required in terms of a rethink on the Budget.In regard to that, although we have not had a full budget, the targets to address the defecit and return a surplus have now been abandoned. I would suggest that if A50 had been triggered immediately as had been stated by Cameron, we would be in a state similar to that described by the experts.
Although Britain has exceeded growth predictions made for a leave result, we are short of the predictions for a remain result by the same margin. The BoE has cut interest rates and dumped another £70Bn of QE into the economy to facilitate that growth.

I think it is right to take things slowly, prepare for negotiations and have as orderly a process as possible, but the fact that we are still in the EU at the moment and have not begun the process is, I think, fooling some of you that none of the predictions had any basis. We will see them if we end up out of the single market for sure, but that could take 2 years in itself, so plenty of time to kid ourselves that experts mostly don't know what they are talking about.

If we don't get access to the single market,I fear for the EU and its industries. Tariffs would sink EU economies more than hurt ours. We have heard nothing from the EU on how they would be dealing with a British exit, where they will replace our money, where the inevitable cuts would come from and what reaction they would receive from the bosses of BMW, Audi, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, Fiat, French farmers and all others who supply billions worth of trade into the UK. Its not a rush, we have the leverage and our diplomatic history over the past three centuries tells us that we will make the right decisions given the time.
As for the predictions, some of these may well have been possible without a Brexit vote, but i suspect it will be useful to those who want to justify the folly of the Brexit decision. Our economy has never been stable, but staying allied to a failing EU would certainly have done us no favours.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
So this Brexit discussion seems to have morphed into a discussion about what kind of Brexit people want. We know that opinion polls and surveys such as the one below don't always give the full picture. So my question is, Is it time to give the public their chance to decide what kind of exit they want? Could they vote on the different components and possibilities of an exit?

I know these things are expensive and time consuming but surely after such a close vote in the first place and given the importance of the decision surely it is time to ask people what they want to happen now.

Cxtckh1WQAA5sgA.jpg

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
I think 90% of MP's do realise their role is to do what is in the interests of the country, that's the role of a parliamentary democracy

I hope 100% of them realise any attempt to undermine or dilute the referendum result under the guise of parliamentary scrutiny would not be in the interests of the country or democracy.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
So this Brexit discussion seems to have morphed into a discussion about what kind of Brexit people want. We know that opinion polls and surveys such as the one below don't always give the full picture. So my question is, Is it time to give the public their chance to decide what kind of exit they want? Could they vote on the different components and possibilities of an exit?

I know these things are expensive and time consuming but surely after such a close vote in the first place and given the importance of the decision surely it is time to ask people what they want to happen now.

View attachment 79599
No.

Leaving aside remoaners' jibes that all leavers are too thick to vote, just suppose everybody does fill in that questionnaire properly, and the results are collated. What then?

Our government takes the results to the EU and says, 'This is what we want.' Then the EU says, No.

What happens now will be the result of negotiations between our government and the EU. It's just possible they won't just give us exactly what we want, eh? Cameron the liar should have kept his word and triggered Article 50 the day after the referendum, then we'd be well into the two years of proper negotiation, not fannying around wittering about soft or hard Brexits. I'm sure that questionnaire is sincere, and not just another attempt to derail Brexit, but it just ain't practical.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
No.

Leaving aside remoaners' jibes that all leavers are too thick to vote, just suppose everybody does fill in that questionnaire properly, and the results are collated. What then?

Our government takes the results to the EU and says, 'This is what we want.' Then the EU says, No.

What happens now will be the result of negotiations between our government and the EU. It's just possible they won't just give us exactly what we want, eh? Cameron the liar should have kept his word and triggered Article 50 the day after the referendum, then we'd be well into the two years of proper negotiation, not fannying around wittering about soft or hard Brexits. I'm sure that questionnaire is sincere, and not just another attempt to derail Brexit, but it just ain't practical.

I would feel more comfortable with the government having a full understanding of the people's wishes when then go into negotiations rather than just their skewed interpretation (we know that most of them would have voted remain). At least this way people have some chance of getting what they want.

I agree that it would be very difficult to implement but given the importance of what happens next i can't help but wonder if it would be worth it.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
It's just possible they won't just give us exactly what we want, eh?

What do we want though other than to not be in the EU.

The list seems to be from leavers comments:

UK sovereignty
Controlled immigration

and?

There then doesn't seem to be any agreement after these two

So Article 50 triggered and we move on 2 years, and the Government announce what we have is the best deal for Britain. What does this deal look like.

We will have no idea of how far short of the Governments's starting position the out result is. I would also suspect that in respect of the deal, that the cabinet papers will be sealed for longer than 50 years, so that we will not know within our lifetime/

But how will the deal be received by leave voters. At least a poll of this type can be used to understand how well the deal will be received.

I would suggest that the poll questions should be expanded as there are no questions on the cost of Brexit, and how much are people prepared to accept for leaving. It seems that the Autumn Statement is going to detail the economic cost at this stage of leaving, with higher borrowing, higher inflation, and a need to stimulate the UK economy.

So what deal are you prepared to accept for leaving and how much do you think the country should pay for the deal.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
No.

UK sovereignty
Controlled immigration

and?

So Article 50 triggered and we move on 2 years, and the Government announce what we have is the best deal for Britain. What does this deal look like.

We will have no idea of how far short of the Governments's starting position the out result is. I would also suspect that in respect of the deal, that the cabinet papers will be sealed for longer than 50 years, so that we will not know within our lifetime/

But how will the deal be received by leave voters. At least a poll of this type can be used to understand how well the deal will be received.

I would suggest that the poll questions should be expanded as there are no qestions on the cost of Brexit, and how much are people prepared to accept for leaving. It seems that the Autumn Statement is going to detail the economic cost at this stage of leaving, with higher borrowing, higher inflation, and a need to stimulate the UK economy.

So what deal are you prepared to accept for leaving and how much do you think the country should pay for the deal.

Just to be clear i am not putting up that poll as a suggestion of the questions to be asked, I would think they would need to be carefully considered before they are asked. I just thought that poll raised some interesting questions about what people actually want and what they are prepared to give up..

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
If we don't get access to the single market,I fear for the EU and its industries. Tariffs would sink EU economies more than hurt ours. We have heard nothing from the EU on how they would be dealing with a British exit, where they will replace our money, where the inevitable cuts would come from and what reaction they would receive from the bosses of BMW, Audi, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, Fiat, French farmers and all others who supply billions worth of trade into the UK. Its not a rush, we have the leverage and our diplomatic history over the past three centuries tells us that we will make the right decisions given the time.
As for the predictions, some of these may well have been possible without a Brexit vote, but i suspect it will be useful to those who want to justify the folly of the Brexit decision. Our economy has never been stable, but staying allied to a failing EU would certainly have done us no favours.

Undoubtedly it is a lose, lose situation, but for the EU, a good deal for Britain could encourage the French, especially if Le Pen is in charge, to take the same route, from there it is as good as over. There is also for the EU the opportunity for a large part of the financial business currently located in London to remain in the EU by relocation, which would soften the blow for the EU.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Fine, but that is not the kind of access to the single market being discussed, or Dan Hannan was refering to, and I suspect you know that. The alternative is that you are one of the leave voters we can label thick, so which is it?

Leaving aside you have jumped on the " thick " wagon (is that really necessary)
Yes it is the kind of access being discussed. Hannan has been very clear. That silly video and soundbites does not reflect what he has said in public

http://www.conservativehome.com/the...er-but-we-could-do-even-better-than-that.html

or the blog he entitled "Repeat after me. Single market membership and single market access are not the same thing."
which ends with "We should leave the EU precisely so that we can embrace a global, free-trading, deregulated future. Control over our immigration policy? That’s just an incidental bonus"

http://www.conservativehome.com/the...gle-market-access-are-not-the-same-thing.html

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

UK sovereignty
Controlled immigration

and?

I would suggest that the poll questions should be expanded as there are no questions on the cost of Brexit, and how much are people prepared to accept for leaving. It seems that the Autumn Statement is going to detail the economic cost at this stage of leaving, with higher borrowing, higher inflation, and a need to stimulate the UK economy.

When the government has got their deal, we need another vote what Brexit can deliver for us. The IN / OUT referedum was not a blank cheque and gave no detail.

By 2019 we will really be starting to get a feel some pain and getting a feel lies head of us

D

Deleted member 22389

When the government has got their deal, we need another vote what Brexit can deliver for us. The IN / OUT referedum was not a blank cheque and gave no detail.

By 2019 we will really be starting to get a feel some pain and getting a feel lies head of us

I marked the box to Leave, Leave means leaving the European Union, nothing complicated about it. I knew exactly what I was voting for. There was nothing on the form about having another referendum on the terms. So let's say we have another referendum and people reject the terms, so what then, another referendum and another referendum until people get the result they want and then we don't Leave at all. I wasn't sodding born yesterday and once again this is just further delaying tactics from the Remainers because they didn't and cannot accept the result.

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014
I marked the box to Leave, Leave means leaving the European Union, nothing complicated about it. I knew exactly what I was voting for.
So, for example, you would be happy for the free movement of people to continue as a prerequisite for access to the single market as long as we leave the EU? I agree that there shouldn't be a referendum but to say it isn't complicated is either naive or deliberately disingenuous.

D

Deleted member 22389

So, for example, you would be happy for the free movement of people to continue as a prerequisite for access to the single market as long as we leave the EU? I agree that there shouldn't be a referendum but to say it isn't complicated is either naive or deliberately disingenuous.

I voted to leave the EU so we can control our own borders. Canada did a trade deal with the EU but it doesn't include free movement of people, so why can't we?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here