Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
If there are any financial benefits to Brexit its going to take a long long time to claw them back...

http://uk.businessinsider.com/morga...-deficit-borrowing-obr-philip-hammond-2016-11

Add to that the bond bubble is looking like it may bust soon with yields starting to push up, a growing deficit is the last thing we need

I don't half the public quite realise the magnitude of the hit we are going to take

I said it on June 22nd and I'll say it again "the risk reward of Brexit does not add up", and thats the economic case, yet alone the geo political fall out..

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Are you shi1tting me? In business? How do you go about business with someone you're trying to partner with? Set up a meeting for 6 months time but not tell them what you want to talk about or what you expect from the meeting. Part of doing deals and conducting business is establishing and building relationships with those people you want to do business with. Pretending that you have a secret plan is some funked up way of doing business.

Edit - That was in response to post 21,768 from [MENTION=28630]Hastings gull[/MENTION] - How can you possibly be in a position to make such a statement? Because she has not elucidated a plan, does not mean there is no plan. And, seriously, do expect her to reveal her hand in advance of any negotiations? I assume that you are not in business.

You talk with your business partners, in private... not the press and every Tom, Dick or Harry who feels entitled to know what you are working on.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
If there are any financial benefits to Brexit its going to take a long long time to claw them back...

http://uk.businessinsider.com/morga...-deficit-borrowing-obr-philip-hammond-2016-11

Add to that the bond bubble is looking like it may bust soon with yields starting to push up, a growing deficit is the last thing we need

I don't half the public quite realise the magnitude of the hit we are going to take

I said it on June 22nd and I'll say it again "the risk reward of Brexit does not add up", and thats the economic case, yet alone the geo political fall out..

Couldnt agree more.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I have a car I want to sell. I advertise it on the local rag: "Car for sale, good condition, good runner. £2000. But will accept offers around £1000."

Bloody good way to do business, eh?

I like the way you are using a knackered old car as an anology. It says a lot.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Damian Green, the DWP secretary has said l:

“Just a few years ago the idea of a proper job meant a job that brings in a fixed monthly salary, with fixed hours, paid holidays, sick pay, a pension scheme and other contractual benefits.

“But the gig economy has changed all that. We’ve seen the rise of the everyday entrepreneur. People now own their time and control who receives their services and when.

“They can pick and mix their employers, their hours, their offices, their holiday patterns. This is one of the most significant developments in the labour market. The potential is huge and the change is exciting.

Does anyone else find the thought of an insecure job with no holiday pay or pension EXCITING!? This is how May's Government want to help the struggling!?

I'm sure a number of corporations have got a massive hard on at the idea but it sounds like a shitty future to me.

Thank god we have EU employment laws to protect us...oh wait.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
You talk with your business partners, in private... not the press and every Tom, Dick or Harry who feels entitled to know what you are working on.

Oh christ on a bendy bus, I wish I hadn't responded to the business analogy thus legitimising it - It's really not like a business deal, it's politics and it must be done with the the consent of parliament and by extension the public. For what it's worth, I don't believe for a second that any of you are convinced that they have a plan. There really isn't one.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne

“Just a few years ago the idea of a proper job meant a job that brings in a fixed monthly salary, with fixed hours, paid holidays, sick pay, a pension scheme and other contractual benefits.

“But the gig economy has changed all that. We’ve seen the rise of the everyday entrepreneur. People now own their time and control who receives their services and when.

“They can pick and mix their employers, their hours, their offices, their holiday patterns. This is one of the most significant developments in the labour market. The potential is huge and the change is exciting.

Does anyone else find the thought of an insecure job with no holiday pay or pension EXCITING!? This is how May's Government want to help the struggling!?

I'm sure a number of corporations have got a massive hard on at the idea but it sounds like a shitty future to me.

His statement is appalling.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

The everyday entrepreneur.....on £7 an hour with no holiday, sickness, security. What a complete and detached **** this bloke is. Did anyone expect different from the Tory party though?

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West

And we're not going to claw it back - it's going to get worse. The government's own projections are slightly worse than Morgan Stanley's - and remember, this is Theresa May's (pro-Brexit) government. The so-called "experts" were indeed wrong - they under-estimated the negative economic impact of Brexit. Hopefully the average Leave voter will stop and have a little think after the government presents its Autumn Statement next week, and realise "Holy F*ck" - this is a nightmare. And it's self-imposed.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
She will also be judged on the damage the silence and uncertainty costs the nation and the economy. If there's one thing regular people and business can agree on it's a dislike of uncertainty.

How do public statements of intent prior to any negotiations decrease uncertainty, If you were a business leader with your mind set, you wouldn't expect her to deliver them anyway.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
And we're not going to claw it back - it's going to get worse. The government's own projections are slightly worse than Morgan Stanley's - and remember, this is Theresa May's (pro-Brexit) government. The so-called "experts" were indeed wrong - they under-estimated the negative economic impact of Brexit. Hopefully the average Leave voter will stop and have a little think after the government presents its Autumn Statement next week, and realise "Holy F*ck" - this is a nightmare. And it's self-imposed.
You really have no idea what you are talking about. Yes, things may go as you imagine but there again they may not. There has been much to confound 'expert' analysis let alone people postulating on a football forum (see immediate projections for post referendum vote from remain camp). The truth is, nobody knows.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006

Would you like to post up any economic data from the UK compared to EU member states and the region as a whole, just for balance.

Unemployment, Growth, Infation or are you going to stick with Vegsters emphatic analysis of his Billboard outside his local Iceland store ??

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009

Maybe you should tell BoJo that because he's off spouting his mouth of to Scandinavian newspapers and Italian finance ministers making an absolute tit of himself and the UK.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Oh christ on a bendy bus, I wish I hadn't responded to the business analogy thus legitimising it - It's really not like a business deal, it's politics and it must be done with the the consent of parliament and by extension the public. For what it's worth, I don't believe for a second that any of you are convinced that they have a plan. There really isn't one.

The public have already consented. They want us OUT. The govt is getting on with it. Parliament will get it's chance, with the Repeal Act etc... #calmdowndear

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
49,000 increase in employment in the 3 months to September, when 91,000 was forecast, which is down from the 106,000 in the 3 months to August and October saw the biggest rise in JSA claims since May.

For some reason the financial company I work for has frozen any additional recruitment for the remainder of the year too.

There is another side to your positive coin.

There certainly is but as we know there are numerous peeps ready to amplify all things negative re Brexit so providing a little positivity hopefully provides some balance.

Speaking of Peeps ..

The branch of Iceland near me has an A board outside today advertising for staff, £7.41 an hour.. Golden Times eh?

One thing for certain is its not all doom and gloom but you have to ask yourself where we would have been without Brexit, almost certainly better off.

Then there's the Brexit divorce EU settlement anything between £18 and 80B depending on who you believe, trust me a golden period in coming up for consultants awaits. £10.6B deficit in September, little wonder deficit clearance has been abandoned

Its a classic the way Brexiters go on about EU bureaucracy, if we leave the customs union as Boris has hinted just wait for the red tape

"The number of workers in the UK in precarious positions where they could lose their jobs at short or no notice has grown by almost 2 million in the past decade, as businesses insist on using more self-employed workers and increasingly recruit staff on temporary and zero-hours contracts"

"Two million self-employed people now earn below £8 per hour."

"Companies such as Argos and Tesco use thousands of agency temps. Sainsbury is now using 54 different employment agencies for its temporary warehouse workers. The taxi company Uber and courier firms Hermes and Yodel are among firms relying on 4.7 million “self-employed” workers,"

"Young adults have been hit hardest. The proportion of working 16- to 20-year-olds in low pay rose from 58% in 1990 to 77% in 2015, while the proportion aged 21 to 25 rose from 22% to 40%"

You think this is good?

Can you imagine the s**t storm on here if the Project Fear predictions had actually turned out to be vaguely accurate! :ohmy:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
How do public statements of intent prior to any negotiations decrease uncertainty.

Are you seriously asking this question? The government, and its various agencies, can say and do plenty of things to add stability to a country.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
I don't buy the football match analogy, we need to do a deal with these people, not beat them in to the ground. Complete silence is not the way for us to do a great deal with Europe.

There hasn't been complete silence though. What specifically do you expect/want the Government to set out pre the negotiations?

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
You really have no idea what you are talking about. Yes, things may go as you imagine but there again they may not. There has been much to confound 'expert' analysis let alone people postulating on a football forum (see immediate projections for post referendum vote from remain camp). The truth is, nobody knows.

£10.6B borrowed in September, all the figures are going in the wrong direction, public borrowing in out of control once again

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Lets face it, we've got Liam Fox, Boris Johnson & David Davis in the 3 great Brexit offices of state - We'll be just fine, so why anyone is worrying in the slightest and thinking that those 3 might not actually know exactly what they're doing is worrying over nothing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here