Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
"The number of workers in the UK in precarious positions where they could lose their jobs at short or no notice has grown by almost 2 million in the past decade, as businesses insist on using more self-employed workers and increasingly recruit staff on temporary and zero-hours contracts"

"Two million self-employed people now earn below £8 per hour."

"Companies such as Argos and Tesco use thousands of agency temps. Sainsbury is now using 54 different employment agencies for its temporary warehouse workers. The taxi company Uber and courier firms Hermes and Yodel are among firms relying on 4.7 million “self-employed” workers,"

"Young adults have been hit hardest. The proportion of working 16- to 20-year-olds in low pay rose from 58% in 1990 to 77% in 2015, while the proportion aged 21 to 25 rose from 22% to 40%"

You think this is good?

Lets not forget too HT, that self employment means no holiday pay,no sick pay and no pension scheme ..... going to be an awful lot of poor people having to rely on the government when they retire.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
And what is the percentage of unemployed young people across the EU?25%?You think this is better?

My post is about Britain. If you want to compare with a similar economy and culture then let's do the obvious one

"Youth Unemployment Rate in Germany decreased to 6.80 percent in September from 6.90 percent in August of 2016."

"Youth Unemployment Rate in the United Kingdom remained unchanged at 13.50 percent in July from 13.50 percent in June of 2016."

So, over twice as much in the uk.

Same question to you....you think this is good?

Jan 30, 2008
Lets not forget too HT, that self employment means no holiday pay,no sick pay and no pension scheme ..... going to be an awful lot of poor people having to rely on the government when they retire.
a lot of them i would suspect are foreign workers, maybe time to" go back home"
regards
DR

Jan 30, 2008
My post is about Britain. If you want to compare with a similar economy and culture then let's do the obvious one

"Youth Unemployment Rate in Germany decreased to 6.80 percent in September from 6.90 percent in August of 2016."

"Youth Unemployment Rate in the United Kingdom remained unchanged at 13.50 percent in July from 13.50 percent in June of 2016."

what about Italy and Greece :dunce:
regards
DR

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Exactly. And it is so glaringly obvious to anyone with an ounce of sense where this is going. How can the government stand aside and watch this disaster unfold?

(I'm now waiting for one of our right wing chums to ignore the point and ask what Labour did to halt this)

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
what about Italy and Greece :dunce:
regards
DR

I never know which of these accounts is the real one and which is the spoof. So, I'll just continue to ignore you as I have done to date.

PS the clue is in the word similar.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

Actually I agree with your comments about employment in the U.K. The overall figures mask astonishing levels of inequality and insecurity for the low paid. However the comparison with Germany is not really comparing like with like. Germany has benefited enormously from being part of the Euro as that currency is under valued in relation to the German economy. Southern Europe pays that particular price.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Of course, we do need to wait until Article 50 is triggered.

At present we're yet to understand how the government will negotiate. Without a clear strategy in place, UK government are also being put in a position where they are having to make certain guarantees to business as well. The jobs in Sunderland will be followed by other regions and employers asking for assurances, so it's in UK Governments interest to get a negotiating position assumed smartish.

I hope that the members of the Exiting the European Union Select Committee hold David Davis to account. That should mean reflecting the wishes of the entire electorate - including the 48% that wished to remain in the EU. Just as Cameron was attempting to negotiate concessions that would appeal to those that wished to leave, so the solution going forward should reflect what the electorate as a whole think and feel.

Unfortunately, there's still no mature debate around this issue. Just over half the electorate felt the EU was not working for them and felt disenfranchised from politics and what politicians were doing for them. Just under half felt the EU was the right institution to work with, although many probably also felt let down politically. However, listening to politicians today, no lessons have been learned.

Michael Gove appears on TV and says "we have a clear mandate." No Michael, you have a mandate, but one thing is clear, the electorate have never been more divided.

May appears on television and says "Brexit means Brexit" and talks about "Hard Brexit" without knowing what her Brexit strategy is.

Tim Farron appears on TV and says "We will campaign for a second referendum" - No Tim. The British electorate have had their chance. We must now move forward and decide what the UK of the future should look like.

They are still all trying to polarise the debate.

What I want is a political leader who will say something along the lines of this... "We find ourselves in a position where we have let down vast swathes of the population. We need to better understand why we have lost the confidence of so many people. We need to build a strong and united country that will work in the interests of its citizens, with the EU and with other nations. We'll need to be prepared to make difficult decisions. Both sides of the argument will need to listen to one another and recognise that there may well be good arguments that are in the interest of the UK. We need to cherry pick the best ideas. There is no such things as leave or remain now. There is only what is the right thing to do for our country in the long term and for everyone."

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
And what is the percentage of unemployed young people across the EU?25%?You think this is better?

18% average across the EU, with Greece having the worst at 50%, Germany and Malta best at around 7%.

Jan 30, 2008
Of course, we do need to wait until Article 50 is triggered.

At present we're yet to understand how the government will negotiate. Without a clear strategy in place, UK government are also being put in a position where they are having to make certain guarantees to business as well. The jobs in Sunderland will be followed by other regions and employers asking for assurances, so it's in UK Governments interest to get a negotiating position assumed smartish.

I hope that the members of the Exiting the European Union Select Committee hold David Davis to account. That should mean reflecting the wishes of the entire electorate - including the 48% that wished to remain in the EU. Just as Cameron was attempting to negotiate concessions that would appeal to those that wished to leave, so the solution going forward should reflect what the electorate as a whole think and feel.

Unfortunately, there's still no mature debate around this issue. Just over half the electorate felt the EU was not working for them and felt disenfranchised from politics and what politicians were doing for them. Just under half felt the EU was the right institution to work with, although many probably also felt let down politically. However, listening to politicians today, no lessons have been learned.

Michael Gove appears on TV and says "we have a clear mandate." No Michael, you have a mandate, but one thing is clear, the electorate have never been more divided.

May appears on television and says "Brexit means Brexit" and talks about "Hard Brexit" without knowing what her Brexit strategy is.

Tim Farron appears on TV and says "We will campaign for a second referendum" - No Tim. The British electorate have had their chance. We must now move forward and decide what the UK of the future should look like.

They are still all trying to polarise the debate.

What I want is a political leader who will say something along the lines of this... "We find ourselves in a position where we have let down vast swathes of the population. We need to better understand why we have lost the confidence of so many people. We need to build a strong and united country that will work in the interests of its citizens, with the EU and with other nations. We'll need to be prepared to make difficult decisions. Both sides of the argument will need to listen to one another and recognise that there may well be good arguments that are in the interest of the UK. We need to cherry pick the best ideas. There is no such things as leave or remain now. There is only what is the right thing to do for our country in the long term and for everyone."

harder the better , no point in pussy footing around with the EU , the UK calls the shots, we should be the one holding the ace card :clap:
regards
DR

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
I think in this day and age there is very little " unskilled ' work, certainly in shop work, even the lowliest staff have to " deliver " the highest level of customer service at all times. The minimum wage is a minimum baseline and the living wage should be seen as the norm.

Ask yourself if you could/would work for £ 7.41 an hour and you may answer your own question..

FWIW......some Lorry drivers only get £7.5/hour,it could be argued they have a certain level of responsibility,to adhere to working time directive domestic and EU driving laws,that carry £5000 fines for some infringements,work in all weathers.deliver a "customer" service,get the deliveries and collections done,some time critical,and along with the long hours,try not to injure anybody with the killing machine they are charged with driving..

With all that in mind it's almost worth taking a job in Iceland.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I never know which of these accounts is the real one and which is the spoof. So, I'll just continue to ignore you as I have done to date.

PS the clue is in the word similar.

Spookily I have Das Reich/ PPF on ignore too, It's only him and Hove, Bald and Unread on my list but boy is it SO worthwhile :thumbsup:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
FWIW......some Lorry drivers only get £7.5/hour,it could be argued they have a certain level of responsibility,to adhere to working time directive domestic and EU driving laws,that carry £5000 fines for some infringements,work in all weathers.deliver a "customer" service,get the deliveries and collections done,some time critical,and along with the long hours,try not to injure anybody with the killing machine they are charged with driving..

With all that in mind it's almost worth taking a job in Iceland.

FWIW, I would strongly agree with you on this, lorry drivers wages are not as good as they used to be thanks to de-unionisation and the corporate ideal whereby costs must be cut and cut again to feed the shareholders in order to maintain dividends.I have no doubt they do an increasingly demanding job with dwindling reward. Mrs May called it when she said " Capitalism is not working for many people ".. however, she seems bereft of ideas to change that.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
FWIW, I would strongly agree with you on this, lorry drivers wages are not as good as they used to be thanks to de-unionisation and the corporate ideal whereby costs must be cut and cut again to feed the shareholders in order to maintain dividends.I have no doubt they do an increasingly demanding job with dwindling reward. Mrs May called it when she said " Capitalism is not working for many people ".. however, she seems bereft of ideas to change that.

So long as the earnings calls deliver,that's all that matters to a lot of companies,driven by shareholders of course..

It's clear there are some areas that are not working with or without Brexit.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Bloody hell, I don't often listen to PMQs but thought I'd listen today to hear the 'plan'. There is no plan, May is presiding over a complete shambles, she has nothing and has restorted to many personal attacks but it's completely unable to answer any question regarding the 'plan'. It's all so depressing.

I'm curious as to why you come to this conclusion. Theresa May has said very clearly that the Government has a plan and will not
disclose that plan before the negotiations. This means she will not confirm or deny any element of the strategy. This is akin to a football manager not disclosing who he will buy and also who he will not buy during the transfer window. He might be accused of being unnecessarily secretive with the latter but if he confirms everyone who will
not be bought then that will by default reveal his hand.
You might disbelieve May when she says she has a plan but that's completely different from interpreting her unwillingness to give
detail as meaning she has no plan.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
I'm curious as to why you come to this conclusion. Theresa May has said very clearly that the Government has a plan and will not
disclose that plan before the negotiations. This means she will not confirm or deny any element of the strategy. This is akin to a football manager not disclosing who he will buy and also who he will not buy during the transfer window. He might be accused of being unnecessarily secretive with the latter but if he confirms everyone who will
You might disbelieve May when she says she has a plan but that's completely different from interpreting her unwillingness to give

They won't understand.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Bloody hell, I don't often listen to PMQs but thought I'd listen today to hear the 'plan'. There is no plan, May is presiding over a complete shambles, she has nothing and has restorted to many personal attacks but it's completely unable to answer any question regarding the 'plan'. It's all so depressing.

How can you possibly be in a position to make such a statement? Because she has not elucidated a plan, does not mean there is no plan. And, seriously, do expect her to reveal her hand in advance of any negotiations? I assume that you are not in business.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Apparently Mr Johnson has some idea of the plan, well at least his idea of the plan, unfortunately he hadn't told Mrs May.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-37995606

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here