Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
you pose the question before hand............ the kids are told.......Nougat means this shop (leave) and Caramel means this shop (remain) ............you have a vote,the kids decide 52% in favor of Nougat.

Back to the real world, had the full options been explained then the vote would have more credence. What we got was a simple in or out?

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
To be honest, the point I was trying to make was more that the result of a leave result is unlikely to deliver what those who voted leave with a racial, or anti Islamic motivation were hoping for, I only mentioned my own feelings on those motivations because I did not want it to appear that I was accepting it as a good reason, and just questioning the logic. It was part of the wider discussion on what results the Government will be aiming for given the wide range of reasons people voted leave for, and wether Parliament should debate that. It is my belief that most people will be disappointed with the outcome.

Then I stand corrected again :smile:
Shows how risky it is for me to skim read a few pages of a thread !

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
I wanted the other shop but if we have to go to the one voted for then I want caramel (preferably salted).

I would put in in chocolate terms.

Hard Brexiters are "Cadbury's"

Soft Leavers are "Toblerones"

Soft Remainers are "Ritter Sports".

Hard Remainers are "Ferrero Rochers".

Undecideds are "Twixers"

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I bet you haven't spoken to any leavers but just reading what is in the papers and then using it as another stick. I would love for you to call me a racist but I am as what you would put a little brown in colour

You would lose that bet. 3 people in my local expressed that they wanted to stop all the muslims coming here, one of them also expressing the view that she did not mind the Polish at all. Don't give a shit what colour you are, some of the most racist people I know are more than a little brown in colour.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
Corbyn U turns and says he won't vote against triggering Article 50, wow didn't see that coming!

In that case we may well be heading for an election in 2017. My understanding is that Parliament has to vote two-thirds to get over the block put by the Fixed-Term Act of the Coalition in 2010.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
You would lose that bet. 3 people in my local expressed that they wanted to stop all the muslims coming here, one of them also expressing the view that she did not mind the Polish at all. Don't give a shit what colour you are, some of the most racist people I know are more than a little brown in colour.

How do you conclude any conversation about Muslims or Polish people as racist ??

Last edited:

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
I would put in in chocolate terms.

Hard Brexiters are "Cadbury's"

Soft Leavers are "Toblerones"

Soft Remainers are "Ritter Sports".

Hard Remainers are "Ferrero Rochers".

Undecideds are "Twixers"

Apparently we have moved on since sweets/chocolate bars and cheese and chilli's, we are now a football team that is moving to another ground and our pitch is not being maintained because we have turned into fish (piranha's) apparently.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Back to the real world, had the full options been explained then the vote would have more credence. What we got was a simple in or out?

The options were explained beforehand and i wanted a hard Brexit,the only way to ensure this was to vote leave,however it still has no guarantee it will happen yet,but offers the chance to make it happen.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
The options were explained beforehand and i wanted a hard Brexit,the only way to ensure this was to vote leave,however it still has no guarantee it will happen yet,but offers the chance to make it happen.

Rubbish. There were several options discussed in the event of a leave vote, ie hard or soft (although not in that terminology at the time) and voting leave did not state a preference for either.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Rubbish. There were several options discussed in the event of a leave vote, ie hard or soft (although not in that terminology at the time) and voting leave did not state a preference for either.

Rubbish.Who discussed these several options?Leave or remain.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

Why else would we vote leave the EU though,why? To leave and then come back to a-free trade agreement (we had it) come back to paying a fee (£350M a week currently) and come back to a freedom of movement of people (we would still have to have it)....

We voted leave (i and many did) to avoid such a scenario,to take back control and to be rid of at the very least,freedom of movement and paying a fee to the EU.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
It would seem that now would be a good time for me to give up my membership of the Labour Party.

Why would you do that? for the Initial idea or the shambolic back tracking..

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Your reasoning is base on prejudiced assumption, your opinion presented as fact, your conclusions flawed and you have a predilection to slip into the language of a 21st century politician. Let's ease you off the soap box, deconstruct and rationalise the whole bugger's muddle.

That is a fuller picture of the past.

It is and it illustrates two points. First, the EU is flexible in accommodating the desires of member states and there is no evidence to suggest that will not continue. Second it gives the lie to the obviously popular misconception that there an evil bureaucratic force behind the scenes driving us to a terrible fate; rather decisions are made by member states after exhaustive negotiation, review and agreement.

If the U.K. had voted to stay in the EU then we wouldn't have simply returned to the status quo.

Cameron's widely derided mission to Brussels did at least achieve some of his objectives, primarily convincing Tusk that when the EU Treaties were next opened they would include a new reference to make it clear that the words "ever closer union do not apply to the United Kingdom".

That is quite unequivocal then, no change immediately and the UK opt outs enshrined in EU Treaties going forward. We would have returned to the status quo. You are wrong.

Remember that the establishment is much more pro EU than the population and such a vote would likely have signaled a move to further integration particularly as the liberal elite would happily give up those opt outs.

Impressive, an assumption and a supposition in the same sentence. Simple opinion then, no logic, nothing of substance to see here.

This needs to be examined in terms of economics not liberal idealism as it is economics that is actually driving the project.

It's true that economics has taken over from peace as the driving force behind the EU but to dismiss it's other fundamental aspirations as liberal idealism is conveniently simplistic and self serving, suiting your (to borrow your phrase) binary hypothesis.

It is simply untenable going forward to have monetary union without fiscal and political union as it leaves the Euro area vulnerable to economic and currency crises. What we see now is Germany benefitting from a lower exchange age than its economy dictates. This is not temporary currency flow, rather it is permanent under the current structure.Similarly, Southern Europe has a permanently over valued exchange rate. Such a structure requires fiscal flows to the poorer areas otherwise massive unemployment becomes endemic. This is the current situation. It can only be solved by more integration so the status quo you mention is not on offer going forward.This was not made clear by the Remain side in the campaign and yet it is basic economic literacy.

Your paternalistic introductory assertion achieves a slightly hysterical note although the rest of the paragraph subsides in a rather less grandoise fashion into opinion based on what appears to be an agglomeration of econo-broadsheet-speak-waffle. Let's cut through the gobbledegook. The existing UK opt outs (along with those of Eire, Denmark and Poland) are enshrined in EU Treaties and these will be modified to exclude the UK from ever closer union. This is the current situation. This will be the situation going forward. You are arguing from a viewpoint informed by your prejudice as oppose to the facts. The status quo is on offer going forward. Economic literacy?! What are you on about?

Once the Euro area achieves full integration I do not see how it would be possible for any EU member to retain any opt outs including from the Euro area.

See above.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here