Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Yup. The Right rises as the government shifts the blame from white men in suits to brown people in boats. Leave voters bought into it unfortunately.

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
What a depressing opinion you have of your own country, its worth and its aspirations, argue the toss by all means regarding the EU, but to capitulate under the guise of 'languish in Sh*t Street as the EU wont let us succeed and then cite this as good reason to stay I find astonishing.

Well that's tough, stay astonished..... I'll not be retracting! :)

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Going off topic a bit but sociologically it's arguable that some of this was inevitable anyway. Not us losing in the playoffs or the celebrity deaths but certainly the shift to the right. It's not just here, it's global.

Firstly we've had a couple of decades of convergence. Basically, moves to social democracy / centerist governments as communism collapsed in the Eastern Bloc and Thatcherism collapsed here. Clinton and Obama in the US, even Bush wasn't THAT rabidly right wing (compared to Farrage or Trump anyway). These made things a lot better in a lot of Western countries. Only, guess what, we then thought it would be a good idea to include the former Eastern bloc in our not so little EU club and try to impose Western democracy in the Middle East. The unintended consequences? That people in Poland thought that we might just be a better bet than the high unemployment and low knowledge of entrepreneurial culture in their own country while people in the Middle East either fled our wars or turned to the radical Wahhabism that was standing up to the West. So, when people's kids start dying in unnecessary wars and Poles and Latvians start taking their jobs or business they naturally blame those centerist governments that they perhaps elected. Farage's masterstroke, like him or not, was to recognise this.

Secondly technology allows for this fear and loathing to spread untamed and un-fact-checked throughout the internet. If Hitler was alive today he wouldn't have needed the Nurembourg rallies. He would have just started a Facebook group. As I said on another thread people who generally think that 'politics is boring' have little or no compunction about sharing the latest Britain First nonsense on their wall just in case any one of their friends suspected that they might be converting to Islam or considering kiddie fiddling.

2016 isn't the worry. The worry is increasingly nationalistic governments throughout Europe with Putin and, as you say, Trump on either side of them. Plus the Chinese. Plus I.S. One of the strong reasons I voted remain - and one that the remain campaign criminally ignored - was that Europe was a safer place with the EU. Yes, there's the odd terror attack currently. But if other countries start leaving as well, post Brexit, the threat of another war on European soil becomes very real. This, incidentally, is why May will get us a really shit exit deal. Pour encourager les autres.

Yes, there's a lot of truth in that.

That's cheered me up no end.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Despite recently resigned Tory Stephen Phillips himself having voted for a different version of leave to what you are suggesting.

"Last month the MP wrote an article in which he said said he hoped that after Brexit Britain would "remain in the single market to which the manifesto of every major political party at the last election committed us".
Remaining in the single market or not is not down to us, and no policy declarations by our political parties matters a jot here. Negotiations on the terms of Brexit can only begin after Article 50 has been triggered (should have triggered it on June 24th, IMHO) although I'm sure their are informal discussions going on all over the place at the moment.

Once Brexit has ben triggered by Article 50, the decision about being in the single market is down to the EU, not us. If they let us, we might stay in, but if they don't, discussion ended.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Even the most rabid pro EU sycophants admit to 35% of current active legislation as originating from Brussels....include the other non legislative but binding regulation, then the figure is closer to 60%..... it just needs a bit of background checking mate... before you start talking deceit.

It's posts like this that make me shake my head in despair. It's almost impossible to quantify how much UK legislation emanates from the EU as this article makes clear. It's something between 13% and 62% but really impossible to get an accurate figure.

What will be more interesting is how much EU law is amended after Brexit, my guess is not very much

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
...and remainers who are now championing the sanctity of our sovereign democratic process in action, previously were happy that their lives should be run from Brussels and Strasbourg.

Much ado about nothing.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

If you believe the l lies pedddaled by leavers,in fact at the very outside,only 55% of U.K. law was affected by the EU parliament,and these include regulations on growing tobacco, and olives. But let's not ruin a good story.
In my own profession, I was told by a customer that it was due to EU interference that, restaurants had, by law, have scores on the doors, for hygiene.In fact, it's not a legal requirement (yet) and is totally a UK initiative,(and an excellent one , at that)

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
It's posts like this that make me shake my head in despair. It's almost impossible to quantify how much UK legislation emanates from the EU as this article makes clear. It's something between 13% and 62% but really impossible to get an accurate figure.

What will be more interesting is how much EU law is amended after Brexit, my guess is not very much

Particularly as we, as members of the EU, have been instrumental in forming much of the legislation.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
If Hitler was alive today he wouldn't have needed the Nurembourg rallies. He would have just started a Facebook group.

I'm mulling over the idea of Hitler on social media.

Doubt we'd have seen many IMHOs, but maybe a few LOLs and WTFs?

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Going off topic a bit but sociologically it's arguable that some of this was inevitable anyway. Not us losing in the playoffs or the celebrity deaths but certainly the shift to the right. It's not just here, it's global.

Firstly we've had a couple of decades of convergence. Basically, moves to social democracy / centerist governments as communism collapsed in the Eastern Bloc and Thatcherism collapsed here. Clinton and Obama in the US, even Bush wasn't THAT rabidly right wing (compared to Farrage or Trump anyway). These made things a lot better in a lot of Western countries. Only, guess what, we then thought it would be a good idea to include the former Eastern bloc in our not so little EU club and try to impose Western democracy in the Middle East. The unintended consequences? That people in Poland thought that we might just be a better bet than the high unemployment and low knowledge of entrepreneurial culture in their own country while people in the Middle East either fled our wars or turned to the radical Wahhabism that was standing up to the West. So, when people's kids start dying in unnecessary wars and Poles and Latvians start taking their jobs or business they naturally blame those centerist governments that they perhaps elected. Farage's masterstroke, like him or not, was to recognise this.

Secondly technology allows for this fear and loathing to spread untamed and un-fact-checked throughout the internet. If Hitler was alive today he wouldn't have needed the Nurembourg rallies. He would have just started a Facebook group. As I said on another thread people who generally think that 'politics is boring' have little or no compunction about sharing the latest Britain First nonsense on their wall just in case any one of their friends suspected that they might be converting to Islam or considering kiddie fiddling.

2016 isn't the worry. The worry is increasingly nationalistic governments throughout Europe with Putin and, as you say, Trump on either side of them. Plus the Chinese. Plus I.S. One of the strong reasons I voted remain - and one that the remain campaign criminally ignored - was that Europe was a safer place with the EU. Yes, there's the odd terror attack currently. But if other countries start leaving as well, post Brexit, the threat of another war on European soil becomes very real. This, incidentally, is why May will get us a really shit exit deal. Pour encourager les autres.

Why should this be the case? Given the hostility towards Germany when Greece was going through its financial agonies, and when countries are pushing migrants from one to another, it is not exactly a recipe for peace. It sounds good to say that if we are all together in one cuddly lovely EU, then the threat of war reduces, and this may be the case, but things can change very quickly. To say sweepingly that with Brexit the threat of another war on European soil becomes very real is a huge exaggeration based on no real evidence.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
You must be absolutely gutted you typed 'hen' in your original post, kinda ruined the moment for you ......

Not so much. There's a big difference between missing a letter off and not knowing the difference between Europe and the EU. To be honest, if that's the best you can do, I feel sorry for you.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here