Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit - Deal we have or Rejoin CU/SM

Should we carry on with the deal we have or should we rejoin the Customs Union/Single Market

• Total voters

GrizzlingGammon

Dec 15, 2018
The Amex remoaners section of brexit bores, if you have had a good pay rise thank brexit, if you think joining the single market is good prepare for a huge influx of cheap EU slave labour and a large share of the one million illegal migrants landing on the shores of Italy, spain and grease every year,, prepare to rip up every trade deal made or will be made with the rest of the planet because they will be crowded out by Brussels red tape, and prepare to pay £16 billion a year for the privilege

Of the former EU red tape, which of these have had a significant impact on yourself?

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
Oct 12, 2022
Who doesn't allow other opinions? Is this a rather weak attempt at irony?

It is bizarre isn’t it? Somebody states their opinion, has it challenged, and instantly screams “why won’t you let me enjoy my opinion in peace, you keep telling me my opinion is wrong!”

The very point of discourse is to subject opinions to outside scrutiny, possibly take on new information, and maybe revise your opinions or feel reinforced in them. Nobody has been censored, nobody has been prevented from stating their view.

If lots of people have immediately come back to challenge a view, that suggests that at the very least it’s an unpopular view, if they come back with multiple facts and figures challenging a view, then I think they’re gently trying to suggest to whoever originally posted that they may have missed some detail and been mistaken in some of their assumptions.

Some of us even support the same football team, though Bozza’s poll last night suggests there’s at least two closet Chelsea fans on the board. :shrug:

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
And freedom of movement reinstated

taz

Feb 18, 2015
There's really very little reason getting into debate with posters like you, but I'll bite.

The pay rises received by many are either enforced through industrial action or due to a shortage of labour, which while driving up wages in some sectors is doing nothing to address inflation or productivity. As a result, our economy is tanking. Expect to see more recessionary pressures in Q3/4 of this year.

As to the one million illegal immigrants landing on the shores of Italy, Spain, and GREECE, this is caused by war, economics and climate change. The people will be arriving on the shores of Europe (and therefore the UK), regardless of membership of the EU. And the red tape you refer to from Brussels (tape that we were involved in creating through the democratic processes in place when we had MEPs), do you think that tape has disappeared? Do you think we now trade goods with the EU on our terms now? We still adhere to EU regulations when trading with the EU, but we've just created more work for ourselves and partners in the EU who want to trade with us, and that drives up costs.

As to other trade deals, there have been none of note, and as the US told us, there was never going to be.

By all means keep trotting out the 'remoaner' language. It's boring, but predictable.

What we need to do now that we're out is think practically and logically. We need to cast aside the idea that we are some powerhouse and ask how we can start to strengthen the economy. Entering a customs union with our biggest trading neighbour to reduce costs would make sense. Loosening rules on immigration to attract the skills we need from the EU makes sense. Finding ways to reduce the tax burden on industries that are valuable like R&D, Technology, Science, Clean Energy solutions etc. makes sense. Investing in addressing the causes of immigration rather than stopping boats, makes sense.

As to your £16billion pound figure, it sounds like a bargain if you look at what Bloomberg (those arch left wingers!) think it is costing the UK.

As I say, no point in debating with people like you. I doubt you'll ever listen to a reason. It's easier for you just to say that I hate this country which I love.
So let's just imagine for one horrible moment the UK was still in the EU, unemployment significantly higher (spain 11%), lower wage growth, never while in the EU have wages reached 3% growth per year, inflation same, uk inflation mid table compared to individual EU states (Austria 11%) the grass is definitely not greener in the EUSSR,, solidary agreement the UK would be forced to accept at least 30,000 migrants per year illegally entering the EU or pay £20,000 per migrant that we don't except

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
So let's just imagine for one horrible moment the UK was still in the EU, unemployment significantly higher (spain 11%), lower wage growth, never while in the EU have wages reached 3% growth per year, inflation same, uk inflation mid table compared to individual EU states (Austria 11%) the grass is definitely not greener in the EUSSR,, solidary agreement the UK would be forced to accept at least 30,000 migrants per year illegally entering the EU or pay £20,000 per migrant that we don't except
So has Brexit the average Briton richer or poorer?

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
:thumbsup:

Your spelling, grammar and punctuation is on a par with that spoof PPF account.

Jeremiah

God is great
Mar 15, 2020
Hove
We were in EU for 47 years so I reckon we should stay out for 47 years and then see how we feel then.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
We were in EU for 47 years so I reckon we should stay out for 47 years and then see how we feel then.
Honestly? Do you really think the good people of this country deserve 47 years of self harm because a misled, gullible majority voted for self harm in 2016?

The other issue is that you are intent on relying on feelings in the future rather than argumentation; that's what got us into this mess in the first place!

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
You do understand why we’ve seen wage growth don’t you?

And you’re cherry picking countries for stats to make a skewed point.

You are better off talking about unemployment rates being a 6% in the EU versus 4.4% in the UK. But then you’d have to explore issues uncomfortable issues like strong unions keeping demand for labour lower because of comparatively high wages and costs bought about by the working time directive (which we opted out of while in the EU all the while protesting that ‘we’ve lost our sovereignty!!!’) And, you’d have to explore why employment levels are higher in the uk and look at our shrinking high value jobs market and realise that we’ve lost a workforce and not gained highly skilled jobs for working people.

In the last year our GDP hasn’t once outstripped the EU. I wonder why? All these amazing stats and we’re underperforming.

We have an opportunity to build a new UK outside the EU, but we have to make sensible choices and not ideologically driven mad ones..

Jeremiah

God is great
Mar 15, 2020
Hove
Honestly? Do you really think the good people of this country deserve 47 years of self harm because a misled, gullible majority voted for self harm in 2016?

The other issue is that you are intent on relying on feelings in the future rather than argumentation; that's what got us into this mess in the first place!
Give it a go - you never know you might like it.

Jul 2, 2011
It's been a complete cock up from start to finish. I honestly can't think of one thing that has improved my life since. I could name numerous things that have had a detrimental effect to things I've ordered, posted, places travelled to, prices of certain goods increasing, that sincerely piss me off.

I won't go on - as they say 'You learn by your mistakes', and this IMO was a pretty monumental one.
It’s not finished… and of course it wasn’t ever going to be plain sailing, but.. it’s what the majority of people wanted.

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
It’s not finished… and of course it wasn’t ever going to be plain sailing, but.. it’s what the majority of people wanted.
Or were falsely persuaded was in their best interests

Was Omid Djalili referring to you here?

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here