Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brevik 21yrs with a minimum of ten?!

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
He'll serve the full 21 years and more I suspect.

"He was convicted of terrorism and premeditated murder, and given the maximum sentence of 21 years' imprisonment.

However, that can be prolonged at a later date if he is deemed to remain a danger to society."

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
I think someone has already covered it in another thread but Norway has no life sentence. He has to serve 10 years minimum before he can apply for early release. If they think he is still a threat he will be refused and kept inside. Once the maximum term of 21 years has been servered if he is still thought to be a threat they can keep him locked up for another 5 years, at the end of that 5 year period they will review it and if he's still a threat then they can extend another 5 years. The 5 year process can be repeated and repeated giving him a life sentence.

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
He'll serve the full 21 years and more I suspect.

"He was convicted of terrorism and premeditated murder, and given the maximum sentence of 21 years' imprisonment.

However, that can be prolonged at a later date if he is deemed to remain a danger to society."

Yeah, they can't give him more than the maximum sentence allows, but at least that provision is in there (I imagine it is in our legal system too).

smeariestbat

May 5, 2012
my wifes norwegian, and in norway at the moment, according to her he got life and has no chance of getting out. i think something has been lost in translation with our press.

HalifaxSeagull

Aug 24, 2010
my wifes norwegian, and in norway at the moment, according to her he got life and has no chance of getting out. i think something has been lost in translation with our press.

I really hope so. It just came as a bit of a shock when it was announced on the news.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Having just checked the BBC website, their report holds the comments:

"However, that can be prolonged at a later date if he is deemed to remain a danger to society.

Delivering the verdict, Judge Wenche Elizabeth Arntzen imposed a sentence of "preventive detention," a special prison term for criminals considered dangerous to society.

She set the minimum length of imprisonment to 10 years."

I think it is highly unlikely he will be out after 10 years.
I thought the 21 years didn't sound very long, but it is the maximum sentence.
And It can be extended if he is considered to be a danger to society - if he continues to hold the same views, he will never get out.

Personally I think it is a pity he wasn't found insane, because a guilty verdict to him justifies what he did and makes him, in his own eyes, a political prisoner. If he is not insane, he is just evil with a capital "E".

Pinkie Brown

Wir Sind das Volk
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR 🇩🇪
I blinked when I heard the minimum sentence of 10 years!

However, as stated, it sounds like they were following local protocol & law by the book. Although technically he could be out in 10 years, the reality is, this nutcase will probably (& hopefully) be banged up for life. The option is there under local laws to extend his sentence beyond 21 years.

Peever

Sep 5, 2010
Canada
Sounds like Norway has a similar system to Canada. Here you get a "life" term in prison which in reality is only 25 years. That being said if you are deemed to be a threat to society (or in most cases your original crime was so horrific) they put you back for a further 25 years...and on and on.

Webbzy

South West Corner Seagull
Jun 3, 2012
Portslade
If he was to be released after serving whatever length of time he's the type of person to just keep doing it!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here