Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brentford vs Brighton & Hove Albion *** Official Match Thread ***

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
This is bang on. Complete over action by many on this thread.
I was at the game last night and as far as I’m concerned we completely outplayed them for 90 minutes - they finished the only 2 chances they had. Brentford completely parked the bus in the second half, even before their second goal and that is why it gives the impression we’re slow on the ball, because we had to keep moving the ball to try and find the space. The only criticism from me is the quality of our finishing, because we lack composure in front of goal and simply hit it straight at the keeper. Had Brentford not had those 2 chances and the game finished 0-0 people would have been saying on here ‘how the hell did we not win that game’. As per the game against Spurs last week, we came up against a team that were happy to sit deep and deny the space and we just lacked that extra bit of quality / flair to undo these sort of teams.
Yep, not being able to put the ball in the net is the reason we lost the last two games. We limited Spurs and Brentford to a couple of chances and they both took one of them. We had a hatful of chances in both games and didn’t manage a single goal.

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
It was a strong performance from Brentford. We were decent enough as the stats show, but apart from the March sitter, never looked like scoring.

The sad truth is that it will take months for De Zerbi to own this team and apply his ideas. We should expect more poor results during this transition.

We aren't at risk of relegation and I'm certain we won't be at any point. We have a strong squad that is still performing well. I think we can wave goodbye to any hopes of European qualification this season though.

Sadly Potter leaving has set us back a couple of seasons. It's absolutely crucial that we get behind the new manager, particularly when results aren't going our way. We need to expect some poor results for at least the next 20 games and we need to understand the circumstances behind that, and get behind the new manager.
Don’t understand why we should get poor results, the players are the same , from what I have seen , we need more urgency in our play

Surprised dez didn't twerk the starting line up for this match. It was understandable for the Liverpool and Spurs game to keep potters team.
After the freedom and hattrick from Tross against Liverpool he's been somewhat restrained the last two games and I'm not sure what they've done to Ali Mac, he's clearly not a defensive midfielder but seems to be playing that role next to Caicedo

Frankworthington

Jul 17, 2019
South Shields
There's not a lot around either and those available are dirty dirty expensive. It is a result of diminishing supply as very few teams these days play with two strikers: it affects the entire football eco system. Kids who twenty years ago would have been strikers now gets schooled as wingers. Any time there is a reasonably good centre forward around, big clubs will be willing to spend absurd money and smaller clubs will hold on to their players rather than sell at modest prices.

Scamacca has one decent season in Serie A and West Ham pay £30m. Nunez has two alright seasons in Benfica and Liverpool pay £85m. The striker market is absurd right now. While I would be happy if Brighton find the right man, it is incredibly difficult and may remain a problem for years.
Perhaps we can recall Connolly? All our problems will be solved

Not really sure what all the negativity is about, aside from those with delusions of grandeur from the beginning of the season.

I was a huge Potter doubter for a long time. It took 3 seasons for him to convince me. We’ve lost him - how can anyone expect us to go and get a better (or even like for like) manager from the get go?

De Zerbi is playing the kind of football this team are used to and skilled at playing. I actually enjoyed the game hugely - seeing us basically on the ball for 90 minutes. I disagree that we’re slow. We zipped it around really quickly at times. Reminded me of life under Poyet - clearly superior to Brentford, but just wasn’t working for us today.

Our downfall is that to play like De Zerbi, Potter and Pep play, you have to have midfielders who can score. March, Lallana and Gross are not those kind of midfielders. At all. We need an upgrade.

Plus corners still continue to be my biggest frustration, a hangover from the Potter era. You can’t have as many corners as we do and do absolutely nothing with them. I don’t get excited at corners because I know it won’t result in anything of any worth.

On the plus side I am still encouraged. The team haven’t lost their identity - continuity is good. Caicedo is fantastic and means I don’t miss Bissouma at all. Onwards and upwards. Here’s hoping for De Zerbi’s first 3 points against Forest.
Yes agree with every word of that

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here