London
Tony's old foe cashing in?

Don't get any ideas please, Mr Bloom.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Paul Barber has gradually been given equity, just a small amount. There would be no point in him having this unless the plan was to sell the club at some point in the future. This may be a long long time away but the blinkered view that Tony will never sell is foolish. Many have said his son will take it on. That rarely works and he may not want to. I'd be surprised if in the long run (that may be 20 years away) he doesn't sell to someone with deeper pockets than him. It is rose tinted glass stuff to not believe this will happen. I have faith though that he would chose that buyer very very carefully.

EDIT: When I wrote this I thought it was true. I'm certain I had seen it somewhere but now can't so as Bozza has pointed out I am a fool and until I prove otherwise assume I am talking nonsense. Probably best to start this assumption with most of my posts to be fair.

Last edited:

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
If it's more Americans investing into the PL. Chelsea may have stiff competition for our players and staff.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Is it tinpot just due to the capacity? Been there, and it has good transport links, and is pretty good as new grounds go
I've seen a lot more (behind the scenes) of that ground, than most, and it is perfectly fine - but really quite underwhelming. They had space restrictions, given the size and shape of the site, but the whole thing feels rather unambitious.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Paul Barber has gradually been given equity, just a small amount. There would be no point in him having this unless the plan was to sell the club at some point in the future.
Possibly, or by giving him a vested interest in the club, he is further tied to the club with added incentives not to leave.
quite clever really considering PBOBE is much admired within the higher echelons of the Premier League and other boardrooms.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Paul Barber has gradually been given equity, just a small amount. There would be no point in him having this unless the plan was to sell the club at some point in the future. This may be a long long time away but the blinkered view that Tony will never sell is foolish. Many have said his son will take it on. That rarely works and he may not want to. I'd be surprised if in the long run (that may be 20 years away) he doesn't sell to someone with deeper pockets than him. It is rose tinted glass stuff to not believe this will happen. I have faith though that he would chose that buyer very very carefully.
Does this first sentence actually dictate that the second is true? Is there anything to stop Paul Barber one day selling HIS small stake, without the actually club being for sale?

And if he did, the most likely buyer, of course, would be Tony Bloom...

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Possibly, or by giving him a vested interest in the club, he is further tied to the club with added incentives not to leave.
quite clever really considering PBOBE is much admired within the higher echelons of the Premier League and other boardrooms.
This. I don't think there is any chance at all, that Paul Barber would still be at the Albion now, had Tony not made him Deputy Chairman.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Does this first sentence actually dictate that the second is true? Is there anything to stop Paul Barber one day selling HIS small stake, without the actually club being for sale?

In my experience of this kind of sweet equity, it is only provided on the basis of achieving an exit of the ownership at sale. It is worthless otherwise. However none of us know what the basis of that shareholding is and therefore this is only my own view not fact.

I suspect it is a little bit of what others said, it ties him down whilst also protecting him financially if Tony did ever decide to sell.

Dibdab

Sep 28, 2021
Worrying. Likely another club owned by someone likely to represent the smaller clubs around the Prem table, heading toward ownership by mega rich foreign interest.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Does he? It's not obvious from the most recent confirmation statement I can find:

View PDF Confirmation statement made on 14 August 2022 with updates - link opens in a new window - 7 pages

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Don't the club's articles of association dictate that any sale of shares has to be made, first, to the existing shareholders or something similar?

it's the rule that stopped Dick Knight being able to sell his shareholding to Albion fans.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Is it tinpot just due to the capacity? Been there, and it has good transport links, and is pretty good as new grounds go
It's shit!

Transport is good as you say and it's in a cracking location but the ground itself is terrible. Far too crammed in and it's ugly as f***. And you can't get a peeve in the away end despite there being Fullers adverts all over the bloody ground!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I saw and heard Tony Bloom say he will leave the club to his son, with my own ears and eyes.

He may change his mind sometime in the future but it is not rumour, it is fact.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Indeed. The conservative interpretation isn't always the correct one.

And the idea that Brighton's rubric has been created with a view to a sale seems very wide of the mark. If Tony sells it will be to benefit the club as well as to realise value for himself.

Given that Matthew Benham is in fact a lifelong Brentford fan, it is unlikely he is planning on flogging it as part of an asset strip, either.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here