Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brendan Rodgers and Celtic.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
I do have a penchant for one of the Glasgow teams. I've been to see them play a few times and like them to do well. I also have some fun with bantering mates who support the other team in a similar fashion.

I don't think being a player for either of the old firm is an easy life. They're well paid but also hated by c 50% of the people they may meet.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
The hype? you seriously think they are only big in Glasgow? Don't be ignorant!
They've got a large fanbase (or at least people who claim to be fans, same thing really), no dispute, but that doesn't mean that they're a 'big club' in modern football.

Admittedly, it's a wildly subjective topic to get into but I can't imagine that many players, when given the choice between a middling to high level PL (or other 'big' European league) club or Celtic, would choose to go there.

That's not said of out any ignorance or pettiness but when they're one of many teams in European competiton who are largely there to make up numbers (with occasional shocks, similar to someone like Basel) and have a spectacularly uncompetitive domestic scene to offer, most 'quality' players, i imagine, are unlikely to see them as anything other than a stepping stone.

As for Rodgers, barring somehow failing to win the league he can't really damage his reputation there. No one barring their fans expects a long European adventure so at worst he'll pick up a few trophies and wait for people to forget about Liverpool.

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014
Back to the debate - can't see Man City on the top 10 either so they must be a small club as well.

Essentially there are a number of perspectives to be considered - history, fan club size, revenue stream and current form. Currently the last two are not working in favour of scottish clubs but that does not mean these clubs will not come back.
The fact that Man City are not in the top ten (for shirt sales) does not mean that they are a small club but I think it would be hard to argue that they are "bigger" than any of the clubs on the list apart from in very narrow terms (with the possible exception of PSG).

Celtic are undoubtedly a "big" club but to assert that they are one of the top five clubs in the world is stretching the bounds of credibility.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Oh Yeah...You're Chels!

He's got a point though. There's plenty that Celtic fans do that many, many people find offensive - not washing being the very least. Your fans go out of their way to court controversy at times and as such are far more likely to divide opinion. Until the Celtic fans clean up their act then tough titty.

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
He's got a point though. There's plenty that Celtic fans do that many, many people find offensive - not washing being the very least. Your fans go out of their way to court controversy at times and as such are far more likely to divide opinion. Until the Celtic fans clean up their act then tough titty.

so 2 wrongs make a right! I see!

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Let's be honest I could manage Celtic and win the porridge league.

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
I didn't say either was wrong or right. I was pointing out that if you set out your stall to be controversial then don't start whinging if people reciprocate in kind.

When have I been controversial, this is a Brighton forum, no need for the sectarianism!

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
On a side note why doesn't Brendan Rodgers take more drinks? His lips are permanently dry and all sort of gummed together through dehydration. He'll get kidney problems if he doesn't sort it out.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
article-2370103-1ADE630B000005DC-117_306x423.jpg
vote+labour+for+no+teeth.jpg

Won't the locals be scared off by his dodgy teeth :)

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
When have I been controversial, this is a Brighton forum, no need for the sectarianism!

I didn't say you specifically in the same way that I didn't say you specifically are a Stinky Pete, and I'm certainly not being sectarian, I said Celtic fans in general have a thoroughly deserved reputation for being controversial. It's done to get a reaction and they get one. It's what happens.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
they played a ''friendly'' at chelsea a few seasons ago and thought they could go on a bully up like they do at other clubs, they couldnt and got their arses handed to them , badly , absolute shower of :wanker:

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
they played a ''friendly'' at chelsea a few seasons ago and thought they could go on a bully up like they do at other clubs, they couldnt and got their arses handed to them , badly , absolute shower of :wanker:

True colours there boyo!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here