Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Brecon Beacons or Peak District?

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Knowing that this place is the font of all wisdom, I'm looking for some recommendations please.

Planning on getting away solo for a few days camping soon, now that the weather has finally turned sensible.

Looking for the best experience for walking and wildlife photography with a pretty basic campsite in an ideal location.

I've never been to either before so I'll go with whichever gets the most recommendations here.

Over to you.

Loadicus Trux

Jan 12, 2012
Do both.
But if you're forcing my hand, I would say zpeak District, then I'm biased, I live there.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Thanks.

2 - 0 to the Peak District so far.

Wish I'd put up a poll now.

Why do you both say Peak District? Any particular spots you recommend there?

Edit:

3-0 now.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Peak District, better pubs, better beer.

Worth walking anywhere around Buxton.

As a Biker the Cat & Fiddle was a legendary road before infested with speed cameras...

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Knowing that this place is the font of all wisdom, I'm looking for some recommendations please.

Planning on getting away solo for a few days camping soon, now that the weather has finally turned sensible.

Looking for the best experience for walking and wildlife photography with a pretty basic campsite in an ideal location.

I've never been to either before so I'll go with whichever gets the most recommendations here.

Over to you.

I have been to the Peak District numerous times over the years, and nearly always stay at the Miners Arms in the old plague village of Eyam, wonderful hospitality from the locals and amazing countryside and hiking to boot.

I can't comment on the Brecon Beacons as l have never visited there.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
I love the area around Edale in the Peak District, that's what I would vote for.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I love the area around Edale in the Peak District, that's what I would vote for.
Thanks.

From very quick searches, this area is looking very nice! :thumbsup:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Brecon Beacons were bloody marvellous when I went there. Haven't done the Peak District. Don't reckon you could go far wrong with either of them.

If I had a choice (but no tents please!) I'd go back to the Brecons. Enjoy whichever one you choose.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Thanks for the feedback everyone. The Peak District is the clear winner then.

I've now narrowed it down to hopefully a couple of nights in Edale to take in Mam Tor and Kinder Scout. Then head home with a couple of nights close by to Lud's Church, The Roaches and Three Shire Heads.

Hoping the crowds will have died down a bit by the time I go.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
It seems to me that the area around High Wycombe is one big feeding station for Red Kites, fousands of 'em :wink:

and Peak district

This is a single farm in Wales though. 300+ I’d have said. This is fantastic because the conservation project there started with one breeding pair in 1992.

bf11d3fe35e61da07ffe57fd94141050.jpg

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

Thanks to everyone who suggested The Peak District. But thanks to pb21 in particular for this suggestion.

I used this as my starting point for what was a late spur of the moment decision. Having a starting point recommended helped as the area is so large I could have spent ages deciding.

Just returned from 6 nights solo camping and all day walking. 3 nights in Edale and 3 nights just up from Leek in sight of The Roaches, Ranshaw Rocks and Hen's Cloud.

Stunning doesn't even cover it! :love:
The whole experience blew my mind and was just the tonic I needed in these shit times.

In true NSC style.... Absolutely Marvellous Scenes! :clap:

Thanks all.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Thanks to everyone who suggested The Peak District. But thanks to pb21 in particular for this suggestion.

I used this as my starting point for what was a late spur of the moment decision. Having a starting point recommended helped as the area is so large I could have spent ages deciding.

Just returned from 6 nights solo camping and all day walking. 3 nights in Edale and 3 nights just up from Leek in sight of The Roaches, Ranshaw Rocks and Hen's Cloud.

Stunning doesn't even cover it! :love:
The whole experience blew my mind and was just the tonic I needed in these shit times.

In true NSC style.... Absolutely Marvellous Scenes! :clap:

Thanks all.

How was the weather? Photos?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here