Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
My top 4 :

X-Files
Game Of Thrones
The Killing

I never watched 24 when it was originally screened, but recently watched series 1 to 3, then skipped to series 8 which was the biggest pile of toilet I've ever watched. It's just like some kind of right wing propaganda campaign to justify murder, torture, gung-ho disregard for orders - all if it serves a greater good. Jack Bauer is the biggest most self righteous egotistical sociopath you could ever wish to meet, by the end I wanted him dead in a really horrific manner. How many attractive murderous moles could CTU employ? Who is doing their HR?

I realise that each series is 24 hours in a crisis situation but there is just no humanity, barely a smile or gallows humour to lighten the mood. I just found it totally depressing by the end.

I've really loved all your other picks though! :thumbsup:

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
Dexter - hooked from start to finish but obviously slightly disappointed with the ending.
Weeds - Good fun
Breaking Bad - Awesome, slow to start but by the end it was incredible. Unintentionally I started series 1 and went through the lot and came to middle of series 5 as they were airing it on netflix as it came out. Waiting for each Sunday night to come around was a nightmare, just couldn't wait for it.
House of Cards - hooked from start to finish
GoT - not bothered after 2nd episode.
Wire, watched first series, need to maybe go back again.

Currently watching Orange is the new black, series 2 - it's ok. Near the end of Chuck, loved this but fed up with it now. Extant - really liked this and the idea and I am now near the end of series 1. I am just a bit disappointed with it at the moment, I am hoping the last 2 episodes turn me around.

Future watches;
Fargo, True Detective, Soprano's, Hannibal. Also looking forward to Got to Call Saul.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Of the shows mentioned so far I think I've seen most of the heavy hitters, with the exception of The Wire, and can honestly say I think The West Wing has the best writing of the lot.

Suppose it depends on what you're after though, Band of Brothers may have had slightly poorer writing but as a spectacle it was incredible.

My problem will be how to choose what to watch next after I've been through all the West Wing episodes. With 4 hours sessions three times a week on a dialysis machine in RSCH, I have plenty of time.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Anyone watching Gomorrah series on Sky Atlantic. Fantastic.

Sorry if someone has mentioned it. Too pissed to bother reading the rest of the posts.

But out of what you mentioned.

1. S opranos
2. Breaking Bad
3. The Wire
4. Boarwalk

Gomorrah is brilliant. The film of it (it's based on a book is very good as well).

Of those four i'd go

The Wire
Boardwalk Empire
Breaking Bad
The Sopranos

I'd add The Walking Dead, Spartacus (seriously it's actually very good) and Castle. I love Castle

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Breaking Bad is the most overated series. Obviously once you have got over Walter White not being Malcoms Dad you can begin to enjoy it a little more.

However as good as some of the episodes are there are just as many poor ones.

It was a good TV series and it helped that Netflix picked it up, but I believe too many people believe the hype. What I would say though, at least they ended it well.

The Wire was great, however to those coming to this now, it will seem a little dated especially the earlier series, looking at pagers and and mobile phones. but you can easily get over that and give it time you will love it. 'OMAR Coming, OMAR Coming'

The Sopranos was great too, however the final series being recoreded with some shitty camera angles really annoyed me and changed the hole feel of the program for me, Anthony Jnr is a little prick too, he really annoyed me the whole way through thr series. But who doesn't love Paulie secrectly deep down you would all love an Uncle like Paulie.

Walking dead was good, but gave up on the 3rd series, how many times can you get yourself in trouble and escape from Zombies, got far to samey for me.

Boardwalk Empire really enjoyed the first 3 series, didn't enjoy the 4th as Much, the last episode in the 3rd series though, probably the coolest scene throughout the program. it also teachs game of thrones a thing or two about incest.

For anyone starting something new, check out Ray Donnervan or True Detective. Both top programs.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Just started watching Boardwalk Empire from the beginning again in anticipation of season 4 being released on DVD and season 5 coming to TV. Fantastic TV series. Big fan of Breaking Bad too.

goldstone68

Aug 31, 2014
darkside
Band of Brothers
Spartacus
Prison Break
Sopranos
Broadwalk Empire
Just started six feet under,
bloody sky box sets I'm getting square eyes now:mad:, the wife keeps asking me why I am so tired and worn out, I tell her that work is quite manic at the moment:wink:

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
We have the same 'past' and 'current' favourites. I'm on my third trip through all of The WW, as Sky have recently added it to their box sets.

I'm 12 episodes through series 1 of WW. I got into it late when it was on TV, so these early ones I've never seen. Also, I have a bad memory, so even when I get to ones I saw first time round, there's no chance I'll remember them

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Not one single mention for Entourage. With the move coming out next year it surprises me how few people have seen it.

Brilliant series and much easier to do than Sopranos or The Wire. Perfect for a hangover day.

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
Tried but never could get into The Wire. Sopranos, first two series I was addicted to but tended to drift out of them after that. I find The Boardwark Empire consistently compelling. Stand out for me is Breaking Bad, I cannot think of a single bad episode.
Watching Walking Dead at the moment Sky catch up box sets, I'm half way through the second series which is building up nicely. The first series was very good.
Shout for an old favourite I Claudius and Line of Duty.
Edit, forgot to add Band of Brothers and Das Boot.

Last edited:

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea
I recently broke my foot and found myself with way more free time than is probably healthy. Anyway, I'd already finished the incredible Breaking Bad, and was up to date with Boardwalk Empire, so thought I'd catch up on the other two of the 'Top 4'. Finished both of them in a month (?!) and I had to check how the internet felt about all four series to see if my opinion was correct.

My list goes (and I think it's only fair to have seen every episode of each series to rank)
1) Sopranos
2) Breaking Bad
3) Boardwalk Empire
4) The Wire

I've checked other (nerdier) forums and I was amazed by how many people thought The Wire was the pick of the bunch. I'll go into why it's the worst of the four if anyone replies and I'm not hungover.

Agree with the list... Ive haven't watched Boardwalk Empire but I didn't like The Wire surprisingly, I couldnt get in to it, I gave it 5 or 6 episodes and gave up, so its gotta be better then The Wire... Soprano's is the GOAT, Breaking Bad close 2nd :thumbsup:

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Enjoying Vikings at the moment.

It's an oldie but currently re watching all my Northern Exposure DVDs. Marvellous series, my favourite of all time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here