Bradford City on the brink

Highfields Seagull

Jul 7, 2003
Bullock Smithy
Will a cash strapped club finally go out of business

From the BBC

Bradford on the brink

The rent on Valley Parade is the key factor in the club's survival
Cash-strapped Bradford City could face closure on Thursday if the club's landlord does not waive his £300,000 rent on Valley Parade next season.
The Bantams, in administration and relegated to the old Division Two last term, are reportedly £30m in debt.

"Following lengthy discussions we have submitted a request to play rent free for the whole of the season," said a spokesman for administrators Kroll.

"If that does not happen there is no choice but to close the club down."

Kroll have given landlord Gordon Gibb, whose pension fund owns the ground, until the close of business on Thursday to respond with a positive answer.

Joint administrator Neil Brackenbury said: "It has got to a very worrying and sad stage.

"We have been in talks for several weeks, but we need a formal answer, otherwise the club will face closure."

The move comes despite concerted fund-raising efforts from fans and a reported "substantial" donation from celebrated artist David Hockney, who hails from Bradford.

10-point penalty?

Losing their Premiership status in 2001 after two seasons in the top flight, combined with the collapse of the Football League's ITV Digital television deal, has hit City's finances hard.

Expensive contracts with Premiership wages - such as that of Italian striker Benito Carbone - could not be sustained following relegation.

Bradford were put into administration for the second time in two years in February.

They failed to survive in the First Division, now The Championship, despite appointing former England captain Bryan Robson as manager last November.

Even if they reach agreement over their ground, continuing to stay in administration could incur a 10-point penalty for the club under new Football League rules.

If they fail to reach agreement with their landlord, Bradford could become the first English league club to fold since Maidstone United in 1992.

"The key factor is the rent for Valley Parade," Brackenbury added. "The cash flow forecasts produced show that in order for the club to trade on a break-even basis for next season it is necessary to secure a rent-free period from the landlord."

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
What other income could the landlord expect if he refuses?

Seems to me they have him over a barrel. So long as it's only a year, I know what I'd do in that position - unless he already has planning permission for a retail park on the site. :eek:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
What, AGAIN ?
I've lost count of the number of clubs "on the brink" of going under now. Somehow its always averted, so excuse me if I don't kick off the "Save Bradford City" campaign just yet.

I was amazed they had the resources to appoint Bryan Robson in the first place after the strife they've had following The Madness of Geoffrey Richmond.

Gordon Gibb's pension fund?

Or the pension fund controlled by the Trustees of the Flamingo Land Pension Fund?

Don't the Trustees have a legal duty to the beneficiaries of the Pension Fund (who include employees of Flamingo Land) to ensure that the Fund maximises its income?

Forgoing £300,000 rental income looks like it could be an impossible request for the Trustees to agree to.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Lord Bracknell said:
Forgoing £300,000 rental income looks like it could be an impossible request for the Trustees to agree to.

But by refusing, they also forego the income.

Catch 22.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
perth seagull said:
Unlike us, Bradford City are in this mess because of their own financial mismanagement.

Hmm..I'm not sure about that. Bradford City are in this mess because of the actions of a former chairman. How is that different from the Albion?

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
perth seagull said:
Unlike us, Bradford City are in this mess because of their own financial mismanagement.

At least their directors were chasing a footballing dream, not lining their own pockets.

Oct 25, 2003
i'm sure their fans weren't complaining when they were brining in the likes of benito carbone, dan petrescu, stan collymore and peter atherton

oh wait
they probably were:lolol:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
tommy boy 86 said:
i'm sure their fans weren't complaining when they were brining in the likes of benito carbone, dan petrescu, stan collymore and peter atherton

oh wait
they probably were:lolol:
Don't forget Ashley Ward.
And he was on a contract of £40,000 a week :eek:

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
sully said:
But by refusing, they also forego the income.

Catch 22.

Not really they just sell the ground. Not sure it would be worth much in Bradford though. The sensible option seems to be to let them off so that they can get more cash out of them later. Doubt they will accept nothing though. Probably reduce the rate to £100k or something.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Yes, but do they have anyone left that could "do a job for us" :jester:

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Bradford f***ed up and now they are paying for it, as sad as it is to see one of the original clubs dying excuse me if I don't shed a tear. I mean come on, Ashley Ward?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I do feel sorry for their fans though - as always, they are the ones made to suffer because of the gross incompetance of those in charge. Bradford, Leeds, Huddersfield - three clubs who have pissed money up against the wall that they didn't have, and are paying for it big-time now.

Must be something in the water up there.

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
They've been on the brink for the last 2 or 3 pre-seaons, yet have still survived each time.

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
Lammy said:
Not really they just sell the ground. Not sure it would be worth much in Bradford though. The sensible option seems to be to let them off so that they can get more cash out of them later. Doubt they will accept nothing though. Probably reduce the rate to £100k or something.

whats wrong with sharing with leeds ... way forward is for clubs in close cities to ground share at a better stadium..forget the rivalries of the past !! Put forest in with county let them share half of ground each ..better still Lpool and Everton who both want to build big new stadia..why not build a 70/80k staduim for both to share... If lazio /roma ac/inter share why not ?

afters

Jul 9, 2003
as 10cc say, not in hove
ditchy said:
whats wrong with sharing with leeds ... way forward is for clubs in close cities to ground share at a better stadium..forget the rivalries of the past !! Put forest in with county let them share half of ground each ..better still Lpool and Everton who both want to build big new stadia..why not build a 70/80k staduim for both to share... If lazio /roma ac/inter share why not ?

reckon we should share with palace then? come off it....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here