Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brace yourselves over Stokes...

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Please, if any of you saw what happened or have any evidence that may help with this investigation, don't call the police, call the Sun.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Does it really matter? No one watches cricket anyway

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Doesn't the victim have to press charges though ?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
All the people condemning him for even being there at that time, are they certain he hadnt been told that he was being rested for the next ODI?

As far as the fighting goes and having watched the video and been in the same position many times in my younger days my verdict would be an official police caution at the worst, end of story and incident.

Bra

Feb 21, 2009
patcham
Putting my personnel hat on here this puts the ecb in a very difficult position. You or I get involved in something stupid like this than unless you are convicted and that conviction is a safeguarding issue than your employment probably won't suffer too much especially as images such as these are unlikely to surface.
But Ben is not you or I but a high profile sportsman known the world over representing a global brand as vice captain. He takes the money and fame on offer but that comes with a responsibility to behave in a manner acceptable to your employer and the sponsors and of course the fans.
Whether he is provoked or not the images are grave and I can't see how he can carry on as vice captain and would not be shocked if he is not in Australia come the winter. Im glad it's not me taking this decision but wouldn't be surprised by serious sanctions by the ecb.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I bet you were pwopper naughty. Did you ever get an official police caution?

Yes, but not proud of it, as it was after battering a chap who hit me with a bottle in my pub in Midhurst. He was about 25 and took liberties after I asked him to leave for being a nuisance, because I was as he saw it an old man I was actually 53 years old.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Ben Stokes is EXACTLY the sort of character we'll need Down Under.

Rodney Thomas

May 2, 2012
Ελλάδα
Yes, but not proud of it, as it was after battering a chap who hit me with a bottle in my pub in Midhurst. He was about 25 and took liberties after I asked him to leave for being a nuisance, because I was as he saw it an old man I was actually 53 years old.

You really are full of surprises BG

El Sid

May 10, 2012
West Sussex

Proper nawty old geezer. This has got to be worth a thread of it's own.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
You seem to be condoning his action or, more accurately, his prolonged bout of violence.

Really, you think my post is condoning it? Not at all, I was pointing out that whatever had happened, it had obviously upset him a lot to get that reaction, unless he has a history of violence, which didn't think was the case.

How much provocation would it take to make you respond like that? I've no idea if I could ever get that violent/angry, more likely to walk away, but It would seem that some people can't do that. That said, if someone was to physically attack someone in my family perhaps I would retaliate, thankfully that scenario has never been put to me.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Really, you think my post is condoning it? Not at all, I was pointing out that whatever had happened, it had obviously upset him a lot to get that reaction, unless he has a history of violence, which didn't think was the case.

How much provocation would it take to make you respond like that? I've no idea if I could ever get that violent/angry, more likely to walk away, but It would seem that some people can't do that. That said, if someone was to physically attack someone in my family perhaps I would retaliate, thankfully that scenario has never been put to me.

Michael Vaughan said on R5 last night that he'd had private conversations with the people around Stokes, and there have been recent 'issues'. The R5 conversation also seemed to suggest that he'd made it into the media beforehand, and all this points to the fact that he does have a history of violence. I'm struggling to see what would justify such a reaction, but the example you provide (physical attack on a family member) can be ruled out. Stokes should have a read of Liam's latest offering, see the recent thread started up by TLO.

Kaiser_Soze

Who is Kaiser Soze??
Apr 14, 2008
The bloke looks like he is backing off and doesn’t fancy it and trying to calm things down in an apologetic manner. It’s all about context I guess and this is a snapshot without revealing the full facts

Yeah, he's backing off and doesn't fancy it after the bottle he was holding was knocked out of his hand!! Stokes shouldn't have been out at 2.30AM but if some ingrate comes at me with a bottle, I'm definitely not turning my back and walking away!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here