Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Boys from the blackstuff

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
For those of us of a certain age.

I've just bought the DVD of the classic 5 part series. What is the favourite episode of NSC, mine has to be Yosser's story.

Just to recap.

Jobs for the Boys

Featuring most of the characters from the initial drama. They take a cash-in-hand job on a building site whilst still claiming unemployment benefit. Typical of the show's humour, it is later revealed that the building being renovated is going to be used by the Department of Employment. They are followed by the authorities and Snowy Malone (Chris Darwin), a plasterer, falls to his death trying to flee during a subsequent raid by the "sniffers" (social security officers working undercover).

Moonlighter

Follows Dixie Dean (Tom Georgeson) in his new position as a security guard, where he is strongarmed into accepting bribes for allowing the removal of goods under his charge in a docked ship. Apart from Dixie's son Kevin this episode also features Chrissie, Loggo and George, the other members of the original gang, during a scene prior to Snowy Malone's (Chris Darwin) funeral.

Shop Thy Neighbour

Concentrates on Chrissie (Michael Angelis) and the domestic pressure that unemployment and the attentions of the benefit fraud officers place on him and his wife (Julie Walters). It also features his closest friend, Loggo (Alan Igbon), who is least affected by the social climate. At the end of the episode, in an act of desperation, lacking money and food, Chrissie is driven to strangle and shoot his geese in an attempt to provide dinner. He also worries about his children's rabbits.

Yosser's Story

This is the most widely discussed episode of the series, following Yosser's struggle to avoid losing his children (who are played by Alan Bleasdale's own children) to the authorities as his mental health disintegrates. It is also the only one of the series shot on 16mm film, as opposed to videotape, although the original play was also shot on this format. Graeme Souness and Sammy Lee, then of Liverpool F.C., make cameo appearances in this episode. The episode contains the often repeated scene in which Yosser goes to confession looking for help, and tells the priest he is desperate. The priest, trying to comfort Yosser, tells him "Call me Dan – Dan"; to which Yosser replies "I'm desperate, Dan".

George's Last Ride

This episode reveals something of George's (Peter Kerrigan) politically active past. His trip (Chrissie wheeling him in his chair through the docks) leads him and them to reminisce about his younger days, the contrast between his recalled hopeful youth with the abandoned industrial infrastructure around him is marked. The death of George causes the main characters to be reunited if, in some cases, only briefly. The episode concludes with a surreal scene at the Green Man pub in Liverpool.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I didn’t watch it at the time, but a few years later. I remember thinking at the time it was quite astonishing tv.

Swimboy64

Oct 19, 2022
Or telling Souness that “You look like me” I think that’s what he said but could have been I look like you,maybe someone could confirm🤣

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Bleasdale wrote Scully as well, another great series.

W3D

I'm Thirsty
Apr 21, 2021
Worthing
For those of us of a certain age.

I've just bought the DVD of the classic 5 part series. What is the favourite episode of NSC, mine has to be Yosser's story.

Just to recap.

Jobs for the Boys

Featuring most of the characters from the initial drama. They take a cash-in-hand job on a building site whilst still claiming unemployment benefit. Typical of the show's humour, it is later revealed that the building being renovated is going to be used by the Department of Employment. They are followed by the authorities and Snowy Malone (Chris Darwin), a plasterer, falls to his death trying to flee during a subsequent raid by the "sniffers" (social security officers working undercover).

Moonlighter

Follows Dixie Dean (Tom Georgeson) in his new position as a security guard, where he is strongarmed into accepting bribes for allowing the removal of goods under his charge in a docked ship. Apart from Dixie's son Kevin this episode also features Chrissie, Loggo and George, the other members of the original gang, during a scene prior to Snowy Malone's (Chris Darwin) funeral.

Shop Thy Neighbour

Concentrates on Chrissie (Michael Angelis) and the domestic pressure that unemployment and the attentions of the benefit fraud officers place on him and his wife (Julie Walters). It also features his closest friend, Loggo (Alan Igbon), who is least affected by the social climate. At the end of the episode, in an act of desperation, lacking money and food, Chrissie is driven to strangle and shoot his geese in an attempt to provide dinner. He also worries about his children's rabbits.

Yosser's Story

This is the most widely discussed episode of the series, following Yosser's struggle to avoid losing his children (who are played by Alan Bleasdale's own children) to the authorities as his mental health disintegrates. It is also the only one of the series shot on 16mm film, as opposed to videotape, although the original play was also shot on this format. Graeme Souness and Sammy Lee, then of Liverpool F.C., make cameo appearances in this episode. The episode contains the often repeated scene in which Yosser goes to confession looking for help, and tells the priest he is desperate. The priest, trying to comfort Yosser, tells him "Call me Dan – Dan"; to which Yosser replies "I'm desperate, Dan".

George's Last Ride

This episode reveals something of George's (Peter Kerrigan) politically active past. His trip (Chrissie wheeling him in his chair through the docks) leads him and them to reminisce about his younger days, the contrast between his recalled hopeful youth with the abandoned industrial infrastructure around him is marked. The death of George causes the main characters to be reunited if, in some cases, only briefly. The episode concludes with a surreal scene at the Green Man pub in Liverpool.
Was there really only 5 of them?

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Liverpool looks a bit different these days. It's much improved and spruced up in general, but some of the estates on the outskirts have got worse due to the drugs and guns.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I've had that series on DVD for years. Absolutely stunning piece of writing and acting, every episode. Between Shop thy Neighbour and George's last ride for me.

Peacehaven Wild Kids

Jan 16, 2022
The Avenue then Maloncho
Really don’t know where to start on this one as I see myself as a bit of an expert having watched it about 2000 times, heartbreaking/thought provoking/even hilarious at times. As a lefty I particularly liked Snowy Malone until his sad demise.

‘One Summer’ and to a degree ‘Our Day Out’ make equally grim viewing.

Auf Wiedersehen Pet also took, albeit in a light hearted way, a social commentary of the time in series one however (and I really loved the programme) the storyline of S3 and S4 became ridiculous.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Bernard Hill is the only actor to have appeared in two films which each won 11 Academy Awards.
Not a lot of people know that.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here