• Boxing

Votes: 42 80.8%
  • UFC

Votes: 10 19.2%

• Total voters

Fatboy Quim

Jan 27, 2005
What does NSC prefer?

The Sweet Science or The Ultimate Fighting Championship?

Poor question/poll, the UFC is not a sport, it is merely an organisation in the sport of MMA. The best mixed martial artist in the world doesn't fight in UFC and there are plenty others not associated with Dana White's organisation.

reffering to the intention of the thread, i haven't voted as I thouroughly enjoy both as individual sports. It is nigh on impossible to make direct comparrisons

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
I prefer boxing, but I enjoy MMA.

The terms 'UFC' and 'MMA' are far more interchangeable than they should actually be, as explained by the previous poster.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
ive tried watching mma , and find it quite boring, it usually degenerates into a glorified grappling match on the floor, it can never match the excitement or electric atmosphere of a genuine superfight a la hagler hearns, leonard duran, mayweather de la hoya et al.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Over the last 7 & 8 years i have seriously got into MMA and predominately that offered by the UFC organisation.

In my view the golden age of boxing is long dead. Once upon a time domestically you consistently had great fighters fights with protagonists like Eubank, Ben and Watson. Across the pond you had Hagler, Hearns, Leonard and Duran. One factor that ruined it for me was the creation of too many governing bodies. It got to the stage where there were too few unified champions at any weight.

In addition, there have been too many manufactured fighters who just have not deserved the hype and grooming and just been fed 'pap' to build up their credentials. Amir Khan and 'Fraudley' Harrison being two classic examples. The heavyweight scene has always been a good indicator of the health of boxing generally, and its no surprise that sine Tyson and Holyfield its been dreadful.

MMA takes time to appreciate and understand and you don't need to practice any form of it to get into it. Watch it over time and you start to appreciate the nuances particularly with aspects like Jujitsu. Appreciating the wrestling aspects can be hard because our perceptions are just Bid Daddy and WWE panto shows. Proper freestyle or Greco Roman is alien to us but a major sport in the US.

The UFC are the biggest and most successful organisation and best broadcasters of polished looking shows. Only Affliction comes close and just don't bother with UK MMA as i think it looks amateurish and full of too many bouncer types rather than true MMA athletes like Georges St Pierre or Anderson Silva. With the odd exception (Fedor!) the UFC attract the top fighters and despite a common misconception there are strict rules and its not a 'no holds barrred' cock fight.

People may not like the brashness of the UFC’s Dana White, but he is doing things in growing the sport and dispelling some of the awful misconceptions

Fatboy Quim

Jan 27, 2005
Over the last 7 & 8 years i have seriously got into MMA and predominately that offered by the UFC organisation.

In my view the golden age of boxing is long dead. Once upon a time domestically you consistently had great fighters fights with protagonists like Eubank, Ben and Watson. Across the pond you had Hagler, Hearns, Leonard and Duran. One factor that ruined it for me was the creation of too many governing bodies. It got to the stage where there were too few unified champions at any weight.

In addition, there have been too many manufactured fighters who just have not deserved the hype and grooming and just been fed 'pap' to build up their credentials. Amir Khan and 'Fraudley' Harrison being two classic examples. The heavyweight scene has always been a good indicator of the health of boxing generally, and its no surprise that sine Tyson and Holyfield its been dreadful.

MMA takes time to appreciate and understand and you don't need to practice any form of it to get into it. Watch it over time and you start to appreciate the nuances particularly with aspects like Jujitsu. Appreciating the wrestling aspects can be hard because our perceptions are just Bid Daddy and WWE panto shows. Proper freestyle or Greco Roman is alien to us but a major sport in the US.

The UFC are the biggest and most successful organisation and best broadcasters of polished looking shows. Only Affliction comes close and just don't bother with UK MMA as i think it looks amateurish and full of too many bouncer types rather than true MMA athletes like Georges St Pierre or Anderson Silva. With the odd exception (Fedor!) the UFC attract the top fighters and despite a common misconception there are strict rules and its not a 'no holds barrred' cock fight.

People may not like the brashness of the UFC’s Dana White, but he is doing things in growing the sport and dispelling some of the awful misconceptions

Good post. Wholeheartedly agree about the poor state of British MMA and about the difficulties for us Brits to appreciate the finer aspects of wrestling.

In terms of other organisations, I do like Dream as well as I am a bit of an old romantic in terms of Pride events.

The best thing about UFC in relation to boxing is that it has not been whored out or distorted to money/promoters. Everything is centrally organised, the best fighters fight each other (apart from the Fedor situation) there is only one champion in each weightclass, the cards are very often fantastic from start to finish and are very regular.

Compare this to the horrendous politics of boxing and the poor product offered in terms of the whole card / value for money and it is easy to see why MMA could very feasibly overtake boxing as a major sport in the not so distant future.

Regarding an earlier post about there being nothing quite like the atmosphere of a boxing superfight. I agree. But this is not something that lacks in MMA due to quality, but merely publicity and the fact that boxing is the oldest sport in the world compared to a developing sport like MMA.

It depends how much you invest into it, but I was certainly more pumped for Wanderlei Silva v Ramapage, BJ Penn v GSP, Lidell v Couture, Lidell v Ortiz, Hughes v Gracie, Fedor v CroCop . .. etc etc than any boxing match in the same period.

Although I repeat my earlier post that they are both seperate sports and there is no reason why they cannot co-exist.

It is also interesting to see some of the crossovers - Ray Mercer got a win over a former UFC Champ recently (Tim Sylvia). Roy Jones Jnr and Enzo Maccrinellilhave expressed interest in entering professional MMA. Anderson Silva has long proclaimed to want to enter pro boxing

Fatboy Quim

Jan 27, 2005
I haven't voted as I think depending on who the fighters are it could be either.

Although I have watched MMA for some time I still get bored with fights that are taken to the floor for the entirety.

Again it depends on the fighters. I would rather watch Royce Gracie and Sakuraba battle it out on the ground for the whole fight than pretty much any of the current British- or indeed world- boxing heavyweigths (apart from David Haye and Vitali Klitschko) partaking in a twelve round bore-fest in which they are completely gassed out after two minutes of the first round.

The ground game can be boring, but at the same time I think I would take amazingly skilled submission finish over a spectacular KO any day.

YouTube - Ryo Chonan making Anderson Silva tapout

YouTube - Insane Flying Armbar

Last edited:

Barry Cade

Jul 6, 2009
UFC is just another form of WWF wrestling. Its all fixed and based on story lines. The make-up artists earn more than the bloody fighters.

Fatboy Quim

Jan 27, 2005
UFC is just another form of WWF wrestling. Its all fixed and based on story lines. The make-up artists earn more than the bloody fighters.

any evidence or basis to this, or is this genuinely as dumb as it seems? Are you speaking purely about UFC or MMA in general?

Barry Cade

Jul 6, 2009
Mark my words, it may take years to come out, but UFC is predetermined just like WWE & WWF. Wrestling used to try and fool everyone years ago too in its infancy.

Do a bit of research on it, there are plenty of articles out there relating to the fact its all fictional.

Barry Cade

Jul 6, 2009
poor attempt to provoke reaction.

Why would I want to provoke a reaction?

Like I said try and research it and then when you have maybe you will be a little more sceptical about the whole thing.

If you can't be arsed to do that then please don't accuse me of trying to stir up a reaction when all I was merely doing was putting my point of view across.

Fatboy Quim

Jan 27, 2005
I don't need to research it. I participate in mixed martial arts, watch MMA and understand MMA. Your comments quite frankly are extremely disrespectful to anyone that dedicates their time to a martial art. You can't make a brash statement like that without any type of qualification for it.

If you genuinely believe this, I suggest it is you that needs to do your research. Alternatively I could arrange for you to come down to the gym I go to when we are doing a Brazilian JiuJtsu or Muay Thai session and you could see first hand how fake it is! I'd suggest you would practice tapping the floor frantically in preparation.

Barry Cade

Jul 6, 2009
I think we have our wires crossed! and if we have then apologies. I'm referring to the UFC which is broadcast on the American networks.

I quote Robbie Bryce whom is a Pro-Wrestling journalist :-

"UFC is the new "sports entertainment" even if they dont care to admit it yet. How ironic it's home is Las Vegas. The city of UFC fans like Criss Angel and other illusionists.

Brock Lesnar winning will be a huge boast to a quickly growing UFC. It gives them a better chance then any other star other then Chuck Lidell of having a household name to build around. Not to mention having Lesnar as champion will bring over wrestling fans. Lesnar is young and has already been exposed to millions of people before UFC as a WWE star.

Believe it, this was all predetermined. Lesnar couldnt outwrestle a paperbag, couldnt make a NFL practice squad. Every professional sport he tried he failed. But pro wrestling and now UFC.

Hmm he became champion in an organization that is predermined in WWE and now the only second thing he succeded in is UFC. You gotta see the big picture to see Lesnar winning the title is no coincidence. UFC in the next year will be using alot of former WWE contracts to become even bigger. Is it little surprise then they are using one of WWE former stars as their marquee star?

It's that enough even Dave Meltzer has migrated into the field of covering UFC. Meltzer has been known in wrestling circles from anywhere from the Tom Brokaw of wrestling journalist to the Geraldo Rivera of wrestling journalist. And even Meltzer has jumped on the UFC bandwagon.
Next year THQ will produce Raw vs. Smackdown 2009 one last time. in 2010 THQ will make an offical UFC video game and will become their offical videogame maker. Dana White went as far as knocking WWE at a board meeting to THQ on how he knows UFC will be a bigger seller as a videogame franchise.

To top that off, next christmas at this time you will be seeing the last of WWE wrestling figures by Jakks toys, because as of Jan 2010 Jakks wll be the official lisenced company to produce TNA wrestling figures. But that's not all, did anyone know Jakks has also signed up American Gladiators and UFC to produce action figures of their talent/characters. Look for Jakks produced American Gladiator's figures sometime in 2009 and UFC figures in late 2009 early 2010.

Dana White is no dummy. He made two deals with soon to be former licensee's of WWE. Why then would it surprise anyone then that as a precursor Brock Lesnar has been crowned champ.
If I and my theory is correct, then look for Lesnar to either retain the title for the next year at least, or he may loose it but regain it several times and become a multiple time champion in the process, making him a respected champion either way. UFC and White will use Lesnar's name and star power to push themselves unto a whole other level by 2010.

If you add all this up, it makes perfect sense Lesnar became champion and in my opinion it points to the scenerio that UFC predertermined the outcome of the main event at UFC 91, so Lesnar could be the new posterboy for UFC's marketing campaign and revenue ties "

Fatboy Quim

Jan 27, 2005
I think we have our wires crossed! and if we have then apologies. I'm referring to the UFC which is broadcast on the American networks.

I quote Robbie Bryce whom is a Pro-Wrestling journalist :-

"UFC is the new "sports entertainment" even if they dont care to admit it yet. How ironic it's home is Las Vegas. The city of UFC fans like Criss Angel and other illusionists.

Brock Lesnar winning will be a huge boast to a quickly growing UFC. It gives them a better chance then any other star other then Chuck Lidell of having a household name to build around. Not to mention having Lesnar as champion will bring over wrestling fans. Lesnar is young and has already been exposed to millions of people before UFC as a WWE star.

Believe it, this was all predetermined. Lesnar couldnt outwrestle a paperbag, couldnt make a NFL practice squad. Every professional sport he tried he failed. But pro wrestling and now UFC.

Hmm he became champion in an organization that is predermined in WWE and now the only second thing he succeded in is UFC. You gotta see the big picture to see Lesnar winning the title is no coincidence. UFC in the next year will be using alot of former WWE contracts to become even bigger. Is it little surprise then they are using one of WWE former stars as their marquee star?

It's that enough even Dave Meltzer has migrated into the field of covering UFC. Meltzer has been known in wrestling circles from anywhere from the Tom Brokaw of wrestling journalist to the Geraldo Rivera of wrestling journalist. And even Meltzer has jumped on the UFC bandwagon.
Next year THQ will produce Raw vs. Smackdown 2009 one last time. in 2010 THQ will make an offical UFC video game and will become their offical videogame maker. Dana White went as far as knocking WWE at a board meeting to THQ on how he knows UFC will be a bigger seller as a videogame franchise.

To top that off, next christmas at this time you will be seeing the last of WWE wrestling figures by Jakks toys, because as of Jan 2010 Jakks wll be the official lisenced company to produce TNA wrestling figures. But that's not all, did anyone know Jakks has also signed up American Gladiators and UFC to produce action figures of their talent/characters. Look for Jakks produced American Gladiator's figures sometime in 2009 and UFC figures in late 2009 early 2010.

Dana White is no dummy. He made two deals with soon to be former licensee's of WWE. Why then would it surprise anyone then that as a precursor Brock Lesnar has been crowned champ.
If I and my theory is correct, then look for Lesnar to either retain the title for the next year at least, or he may loose it but regain it several times and become a multiple time champion in the process, making him a respected champion either way. UFC and White will use Lesnar's name and star power to push themselves unto a whole other level by 2010.
If you add all this up, it makes perfect sense Lesnar became champion and in my opinion it points to the scenerio that UFC predertermined the outcome of the main event at UFC 91, so Lesnar could be the new posterboy for UFC's marketing campaign and revenue ties "

haha, OK I think the wires are crossed. But there is an enormous difference between something being FAKE and there being an agenda in place in order to make more money / promote the sport.

In terms of this idea, there is little doubt that UFC pushes certain fighters and that the pulling power of people like Lesnar in terms of Pay Per View sales (see also Kimbo Slice) is something that whilst annoying many, certainly brings in a lot of revenue to something which is big business as well as a sport.

In relation to boxing though, I still say that this type of "politics" is minimal.

It most definitely is not fake though! nor is it predetermined, this would be both impossible and illegal

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Mark my words, it may take years to come out, but UFC is predetermined just like WWE & WWF. Wrestling used to try and fool everyone years ago too in its infancy.

Do a bit of research on it, there are plenty of articles out there relating to the fact its all fictional.

I'd be very surprised if it was. UFC/MMA seems very very real to me. Just my opinion like and only going on what I've seen.

Voted UFC, by the way.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here