Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bournemouth trains ballsed up?

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
Forgive if fixtures, but trying to look for trains to Bournemouth and it seems, whether starting from London or Brighton, that they go to Southampton Airport Somethingorother and then it's a 50 minute bus journey from there.

Given the likely numbers we'll be taking, that's a bit of a nightmare. what with the rail companies' usual propensity to put on a six-seater jalopy from the 1970s in these circumstances. Anybody got information to the contrary or are we train travellers all in for a bit of a 'mare?

(Anyone driving from London and fancies some help with the petrol money for a lift?)

Tomnorthi

Jan 2, 2010
BN15
Do Brighton to Pokesdown. Its then a train to woolston two 10 min buses to totton via southampton central and another train.

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
Christ. Really? They can't in their wisdom see fit to provide direct trains when there's thousands of people over and above the usual numbers travelling to the same location? Thanks anyway, Tom.

Tomnorthi

Jan 2, 2010
BN15
For £12 return two buses don't bother me really. I agree its stupid having engineering works on this day.

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
if you go to pokesdown,dont stay around drinking,its a complete shitehole,as bad a boscombe

tonymgc

Banned
May 8, 2010
Drive by abusing
Boscombe is bloody rank place. We often stay in swanage, lovely place.

Dad lived in Boscombe when he first moved down that way. The most gash place i think i've ever been.
Think we'll be heading to the town centre then getting the bus to the ground.

tonymgc

Banned
May 8, 2010
Drive by abusing
We're driving down.
My advice would be check your local train station, You should be able to do the 2 pay 3 travel thing.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Christ. Really? They can't in their wisdom see fit to provide direct trains when there's thousands of people over and above the usual numbers travelling to the same location? Thanks anyway, Tom.

Really? Thousands? Crikey, we only have 2300 tickets, will we sell all of these? There will be many many who will drive to this, usually the car park is rammed with dozens of Albion cars, there will be coaches (I imagine more than one). I expect the train company has considered this, and decided that inconveniencing a few hundred football supporters is far less damaging than interrupting weekday commuters, who travel in far greater numbers every day.

Oh, and a 50 minute bus ride is the same journey time as the train from Southampton Central to Bournemouth.

Last edited:

Westdene Wonder

Aug 3, 2010
Brighton
Engineering works are necessary at week-ends to avoid delaying regular rail travellers,important events such as at Wembley might lead to postponement of Engineering work, but not for a Division 1 match.

Tomnorthi

Jan 2, 2010
BN15
How much roughly is the train? Had a quick look last night but it quoted £100 for 3 of us.

£20 for the 3 of you to Woolston (as far as southern services go) with a southern day save. Then £23.70 off peak return from there to Pokesdown. About 15 quid each :thumbsup:

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
Really? Thousands? Crikey, we only have 2300 tickets, will we sell all of these?

Given the speed we sold out the first batch, and our league position, I don't think it's an unreasonable expectation. And how many thousands does it have to be to count as a plural?

Anyway - I was told once in an e-mail from Southern when I complained about engineering works always affecting footy fans that they plan the works up to two years in advance, so I wasn't expecting them to change the arrangement, I was merely grumbling about it! :annoyed:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here