Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bournemouth - regional rivals? big game? meh? What do YOU think?

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
It's no more a "south coast derby" than Blackpool v Doncaster is a "crappy northern town derby" or Crawley v Southend is "commuter towns derby". It's nonsense made up by the local media.

To me, Bournemouth are nothing more than another club to be swept aside on our quest for glory

YAY!!

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Only a Brighton fan.

Imagine if you guys went up! Youd be hoping for draws every week against your 'other' teams.

Bore off. I've got a soft spot for Wrexham after getting thoroughly pissed with some of their fans last year. Doesn't mean I'd cheer them on if we play them again.

On topic - I want us to smash them. Not for any reason above wanting the 3 points.

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
When I think of Boremuff, I think of when I was a kid and it's the place where my mum played bingo when we stayed in Poole

Rich Suvner

Skint years RIP
Jul 17, 2003
Worthing
Just watching this again, there really are some massive thickets in the media. The pundit on there banging on about how that protest was NOT the way to do things. Really? How was your alternative of NOT disrupting a televised football match likely to be more effective then? What a total DICK.

Was there that day - it was also a red card protest I think
The problem was that about 100 of those going on the pitch went straight for the Bournemouth fans - as shown in pics. Totally detracted from the whole point. So in that sense, commentator was correct.

LU7 RED

Nov 5, 2010
Leighton Buzzard
Was there that day - it was also a red card protest I think
The problem was that about 100 of those going on the pitch went straight for the Bournemouth fans - as shown in pics. Totally detracted from the whole point. So in that sense, commentator was correct.

Well as a Bournemouth fan, I'm pleased at least one of you recognises that the 95 pitch invasion wasn't just a 'protest'. It was a pitchy and a decent deal of aggro to boot, not a nice friendly sit down on the pitch - did feel a bit less sympathetic after that, tbh. BUT I did sign your Amex/Falmer petition thing!

We haven't got a rival at all and should just get on with acknowledging it. Brighton fans I have met on my travels have been pretty cool, no bother - a definite seaside bond going on. Really dislike Reading with a passion, just don't know why, something about them...

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
In the late 60's- early 70's we had a shortage of 'local' rivals, Orient being the only London club in our division. That's why teams like B'muff were seen as rivals and other southern clubs, especially those on the up, like Luton became fierce rivals, because they brought travelling support.

71/72 was the pinnacle of the B'muff thing. They brought loads to the Goldstone on boxing day, 'took' the northstand before Albion turned up but an electric atmosphere of 30,600 and the north being split between both sets of fans, surges and missiles flying with police in between. Apparently the B'muff coaches got 'done' at the greyhound track. The return game, all ticket with 22,500 was pretty tasty too.

Games since then, without the same intensity, still carried a hint on menace, especially down there but I now see them as a club who have been through alot & good luck to them, as long as they don't take points off us.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Interesting to read some Cherries fans getting quite worked up on another forum about the comparative fan bases of our two clubs and 'who is the biggest' blah blah. They seem to be fixated on a Palace style rant about our recent crowd figures being due to an influx of plastics (yawn).

One poor misguided punter suggests we are cheating because we can draw upon the whole of Sussex for our support. But no doubt many Bournemouth fans come from Dorset and beyond. Yet in another breath claims the population of Bournemouth is more than 400k, which I suggest makes their support shameful. I thought 'surely it can't be that 'but found that the 400k includes Poole and Christchurch.

From my point of view it seems simpler to just focus on the names of our respective teams (the clue is in the name) so Brighton and Hove (Albion) has a population of 273k. Whereas (AFC) Bournemouth has a population of 183k. OK it is a crude analogy but maybe better reflects the proportions of fans the respective clubs enjoy these days.

Even then one of the Cherries fans claims we are cheating because we should not include 'Hove'. I don't know what planet the poor misguided Cherry lives on but we have been Brighton and Hove Albion for most of existence and technically they are still Bournemouth and Boscombe FC, so not as if we are moving the goalposts.

Even back in the 70's we both managed crowds over 20k and occasionally we were up around 30k, so what has changed? Why doesn't a similar big seaside resort like Bournemouth have a comparable footie club?

They have had their ups and downs both on and off the pitch and have also updated Dean Court over the years, despite mainly existing in the lower leagues, a bit like us in recent years. They are probably batting at or well above their true position allowing for budgets etc despite having some well heeled owners. OK Dean Court isn't exactly The Amex but if they suddenly built a 30k stadium after years without a ground of their own would they get 26k average crowds? Somehow I don't feel there is a sleeping giant of a Club waiting to be woken up.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Interesting to read some Cherries fans getting quite worked up on another forum about the comparative fan bases of our two clubs and 'who is the biggest' blah blah. They seem to be fixated on a Palace style rant about our recent crowd figures being due to an influx of plastics (yawn).

One poor misguided punter suggests we are cheating because we can draw upon the whole of Sussex for our support. But no doubt many Bournemouth fans come from Dorset and beyond. Yet in another breath claims the population of Bournemouth is more than 400k, which I suggest makes their support shameful. I thought 'surely it can't be that 'but found that the 400k includes Poole and Christchurch.

From my point of view it seems simpler to just focus on the names of our respective teams (the clue is in the name) so Brighton and Hove (Albion) has a population of 273k. Whereas (AFC) Bournemouth has a population of 183k. OK it is a crude analogy but maybe better reflects the proportions of fans the respective clubs enjoy these days.

Even then one of the Cherries fans claims we are cheating because we should not include 'Hove'. I don't know what planet the poor misguided Cherry lives on but we have been Brighton and Hove Albion for most of existence and technically they are still Bournemouth and Boscombe FC, so not as if we are moving the goalposts.

Even back in the 70's we both managed crowds over 20k and occasionally we were up around 30k, so what has changed? Why doesn't a similar big seaside resort like Bournemouth have a comparable footie club?

They have had their ups and downs both on and off the pitch and have also updated Dean Court over the years, despite mainly existing in the lower leagues, a bit like us in recent years. They are probably batting at or well above their true position allowing for budgets etc despite having some well heeled owners. OK Dean Court isn't exactly The Amex but if they suddenly built a 30k stadium after years without a ground of their own would they get 26k average crowds? Somehow I don't feel there is a sleeping giant of a Club waiting to be woken up.

They're only saying this in the hope that we will give a shit about them.

We won't.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
Sanctimonious arse that commentator is. "These are very distressing scenes". What? They're not DISTRESSING in any way. Filipino people with no homes and drinking water following the typhoon is distressing. A child suffering a life threatening illness is distressing. A cat lying in the road having been hit by a car might be distressing to many.

A bunch of blokes running on a football pitch for five minutes, waving a banner is not in any way, shape or form "distressing".

I was only 13 at the time but I remember it being pretty unsavoury and a number of fans using the protest as an excuse for causing trouble. Its worth pointing out I have a terrible long term memory!

afcb

Dec 14, 2007
As for people calling us tinpot...pot/kettle/withdean ?

Last edited:

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Only a Brighton fan.

Imagine if you guys went up! Youd be hoping for draws every week against your 'other' teams.

Not really.

When we go up I'll have to drop my support of the 19 teams other than Palace in the PL.

Jan 30, 2008
Went to Bournemouth in the 90's, it was chucking it down all day, seem to remember the Brighton fans were in an end with no roof, so 4 of us decided to go in their home end which had a roof to keep dry, we all agreed not to reveal ourselves if we scored. Anyway seem to remember we had a storming start and scored really early in the first half, anyway we were controleed and just smiled, then i think Junior McDonald scored again at this point we celebrated crazily, the home fans backed off with one brave local trying to boot me as the old bill removed us and took us round the pitch to the Brighton end. Happy days, ps we were shit in those days.
you didn't see the pitch invasion at half time then :whistle:
regards
DR

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Late 80's, 2-0 win, including an Ian Chapman flick-and-scissor-kick volley from the edge of the box at the Brighton Beach end. I went disco mental. The local news mistakenly attributed this wondrous strike to Kevin Bremner, but those of us who were there...we knew.

We knew.

Oh, this!

afcb

Dec 14, 2007
Using the Withdean to call us tinpot? Needs must man, needs must.

we've all been through the mill :) I havent been on here lately, seems to be a different 'attitude' if you dont mind me saying, kind of reminiscent of a club 25 miles to our East, shame that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here