Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bottles of Harvey's

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Can anyone point me to any shops in central Brighton, or off licences that have a good selection of bottled Harvey's beer.

The few times I have purchased it I have got it in Lewes, I was thinking perhaps that off licence on Southover Street, could anyone confirm if that does or offer a better location. Cheers.

topdollar

Mar 5, 2009
Your best bet is trafalgar wines on trafalgar street as he has one of the best selection's of bottled real ale in Brighton.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Can anyone point me to any shops in central Brighton, or off licences that have a good selection of bottled Harvey's beer.

I suspect a contradiction in terms there. I would rate many of the Harveys beers as world class, but the bottled stuff for me, is really a poor imitation. The one exception being the Russian Imperial Stout. Fortunately many of the smaller Sussex brewers produce excellent bottle conditioned ales.

Good luck with your search and if you get the chance to experiment try some of the other local bottled ales and see what you think.

medicine man

Jan 22, 2004
by the sea

I suspect a contradiction in terms there. I would rate many of the Harveys beers as world class, but the bottled stuff for me, is really a poor imitation. The one exception being the Russian Imperial Stout. Fortunately many of the smaller Sussex brewers produce excellent bottle conditioned ales.

Good luck with your search and if you get the chance to experiment try some of the other local bottled ales and see what you think.

Have you tried their 'Star of Eastbourne' 6.5% East India Ale, very nice bottle o' beer.
Also, have quite enjoyed their 'Quids In' and 'The Kiss'.

But, as I'm interested, which of the smaller brewers beers would you recommend?

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Bills in North Road sells about six or seven different Harveys Ales in 500ml bottles, but they ain't cheap...

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Have you tried their 'Star of Eastbourne' 6.5% East India Ale, very nice bottle o' beer.
Also, have quite enjoyed their 'Quids In' and 'The Kiss'.

But, as I'm interested, which of the smaller brewers beers would you recommend?

I have to confess I have never tried the Quids In. The following are all worth a try in my opinion.

WJ King Red River Ale
Hepworth Iron Horse
Dark Star Sunburst
Whites White Gold
Ballards Wassail (Technically in Hampshire, but borderline)

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Thanks for all these tip off's trafalger wines and Bills are close to me, I ended up finding a load on a shelf in my local corner shop, Shakti's just up from the Roundhouse pub on Ditchling Road.

He had Amarda, Sussex Pale Ale, Blue Label, Tom Paine, Sussex Ale and Porter. Also the missis gots some Arundel Gold from the supermarket. At £1.99 a bottle bit steep but the guests were impresssed and well apreciated the variety. In fact one came from near Faversham and bought some Shepphard Neame, so a good exchange rate took place. I have been invited up to do the Shepard Neame brewary tour which I am informed is very good, anyone tried it. I might try and do this in November so will have to take some Harveys stock with me.

I really like the Hepworths Sussex took some up to Lords last week, I have never seen any bottled Dark Star or King and Barnes. It would be good to find a good supplier of local ales, I always find it odd Supermarkets do not sell any type of Harveys, I imagine it would sell quite well nationally.

I always find it odd Supermarkets do not sell any type of Harveys, I imagine it would sell quite well nationally.
The history of British brewing is a history of small producers making the mistake of believing that "going national" is the future.

What happens next? The company gets taken over and the basic product that built the brewery's reputation either disappears, or survives only as a brand name for a "redesigned" bland beer.

Part of what makes Harvey's the beer of choice for us Lewes drinkers is that head brewer, Miles Jenner, walks around the pubs, drinking the stuff and checking out the quality.

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
The history of British brewing is a history of small producers making the mistake of believing that "going national" is the future.

What happens next? The company gets taken over and the basic product that built the brewery's reputation either disappears, or survives only as a brand name for a "redesigned" bland beer.

Part of what makes Harvey's the beer of choice for us Lewes drinkers is that head brewer, Miles Jenner, walks around the pubs, drinking the stuff and checking out the quality.

Yes I see thats a good thing, and its makes it popular for visitors that visit to drink something that localand unique. Are most of the supermarket real ales like Badger, Wells, St Austell and Fullers all owned by big buisness or have any remianed independent.

Mike Jenner must have one of the best jobs ever...

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
In recognition of a fine cricketing triumph I cracked open a 2001 bottle of Harveys Imperial Russian Stout last night. :drink:
There are not many of these long stayers to compare this to, but I can honestly say this was more than a match for any I have tried.
I have a 2000 bottle stashed away just waiting for the official opening of the Falmer stadium.

coventrygull

the right one
Jun 3, 2004
Bridlington Yorkshire
In recognition of a fine cricketing triumph I cracked open a 2001 bottle of Harveys Imperial Russian Stout last night. :drink:
There are not many of these long stayers to compare this to, but I can honestly say this was more than a match for any I have tried.
I have a 2000 bottle stashed away just waiting for the official opening of the Falmer stadium.

Have you tried the 2008 version :thumbsup:

Don't forget you can get Harveys delivered to your door. Very good service

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here