Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Born again early leaver

MissGull

Apr 1, 2013
It's turning into a 'look at me' thread.....'look at me, I stay until they are locking the the doors at 9pm, an even then I have to be asked to leave...i'm such a good fan.'

For me, I leave a little early in the week because the time I save would be the difference between me going and not going. On a weekend i'm in no particular hurry.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Some people seem to just be focusing on the trains from Falmer station. A lot of people also need to get connecting trains, and leaving a couple of minutes early doesn't just save them 10 minutes at falmer, it saves them another 30 or more at Brighton or lewes. Some also seem to be ignoring that people have a life outside football; work, family, other obligations that make it a choice between watching 90 minutes of the game (albeit with the last five being over your shoulder as you're walking out) and getting back for that, or missing the game entirely, deprive the club of the money you spend on the ticket and pre- and mid-match pies/drinks.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
The last two games have been much better for the West Coastway connection, which is normally almost the final straw and a justified reason why people from the west did not renew their season ticket this year.

I do not leave early but in boring matches I can understand as it can save an hour on the journey to Shoreham. Most of the time is spent waiting at Brighton for the connection and sometimes the train is there but the staff will not let passengers on (last season).

Times compiled on a web page:

http://www.glaucus.org.uk/FalmerTrains.htm

Summary: allow 10-15 minutes to get out of the ground, wait 20 minutes for a train which takes ten minutes to get to Brighton.

Bad day and evening games: wait another 25 minutes at Brighton for the connection.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Some people seem to just be focusing on the trains from Falmer station. A lot of people also need to get connecting trains, and leaving a couple of minutes early doesn't just save them 10 minutes at falmer, it saves them another 30 or more at Brighton or lewes. Some also seem to be ignoring that people have a life outside football; work, family, other obligations that make it a choice between watching 90 minutes of the game (albeit with the last five being over your shoulder as you're walking out) and getting back for that, or missing the game entirely, deprive the club of the money you spend on the ticket and pre- and mid-match pies/drinks.

Do our fans leave 5 to 10 minutes early at away games like Leeds for example, another ground where there are comparable numbers of fans looking to make an exit after the final whistle? Or do they stay to the end and still get away without too many problems?

Surrey_Albion

Jan 17, 2011
Horley
Ive often where are people going and what are they doing after footy thats so exciting and important to warrent leaving early. I leave after clapping the team off and still get back to horley 6.30 and have time to get showered dresses before going out!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
How about the next home game we meet up after the final whistle and you can show me how you manage to walk straight onto the platform without queuing. My experience over the last few season being an early leaver is that people start running from the station from about 85 mins onwards and I would be very surprised if you could leave on the final whistle and walk straight onto the platform. Maybe some early leavers this season could shed some light as to how quick the station fills up before the final whistle. I am more then happy for you to prove me wrong next home match.

I've done exactly this for the last two Saturday home games. Where do you sit ? Probably makes a big difference - being in WSL North can exit via the North West corner rather than the WSL gates so the shortest distance to the ramp. It's not always this good, but I think slightly lower crowds so far this season (my block is definitely less full) are contributing too. That said, most games even last season we typically getting the 5.12 out of Falmer to Lewes.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
I think the club are
Missing a trick here. We should have to swipe out as well as in. Anyone leaving early then gets a financial penalty on next months season ticket direct debit.

Say a fiver for every minute before regulation time?

D

Deleted member 18477

Rocket science it is not. Most United fans would have missed the majority of their title winning goals through the Fergie years if they had adopted the stupidly some show at our games. Why bother coming if you're going to bugger off before the end.

We're not about to win the premier league though... Now that would make fans stay!

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
It's turning into a 'look at me' thread.....'look at me, I stay until they are locking the the doors at 9pm, an even then I have to be asked to leave...i'm such a good fan.'

For me, I leave a little early in the week because the time I save would be the difference between me going and not going. On a weekend i'm in no particular hurry.

But by being at footie you are out. Or are you talking about about being out out. To me footie is being out out as opposed to being out.

MissGull

Apr 1, 2013
The last two games have been much better for the West Coastway connection, which is normally almost the final straw and a justified reason why people from the west did not renew their season ticket this year.

I do not leave early but in boring matches I can understand as it can save an hour on the journey to Shoreham. Most of the time is spent waiting at Brighton for the connection and sometimes the train is there but the staff will not let passengers on (last season).

Times compiled on a web page:

http://www.glaucus.org.uk/FalmerTrains.htm

Summary: allow 10-15 minutes to get out of the ground, wait 20 minutes for a train which takes ten minutes to get to Brighton.

Bad day and evening games: wait another 25 minutes at Brighton for the connection.

Number 2 bus, or number 700 bus?

willyfantastic

Mar 1, 2009
With 5 minutes to go, a guy in a Liverpool FC t shirt with his partner left and I shouted ''5 minutes to go''. His friend grinned, he carried on towards the exit unsmiling and I thought.......................................................................................
We can do without absolute tw*ts like him, just stay away for good and don't come back.
He was sitting in the NW corner four rows down from the back in case he returns and anyone wishes to personally lynch this f*ckwit.
I might.

or you could let him live his life, and you live yours - instead of acting like such a complete prick

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Around the Houses (by Bus)

Number 2 bus, or number 700 bus?

Number 2 bus and I wouldn't get home the same day. I used to cycle to the Goldstone and looks a good bet anywhere in Brighton.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Do our fans leave 5 to 10 minutes early at away games like Leeds for example, another ground where there are comparable numbers of fans looking to make an exit after the final whistle? Or do they stay to the end and still get away without too many problems?

There is quite obviously a difference between attending a home game and attending an away game. To compare the two is just pointless. When you travel to an away game you are committing to the whole day, for a home game you are committing to an afternoon.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Those that leave cinema's 10 minutes early still think Bruce Willis is going to get back together with his wife.

adtj.JPG

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
I would find that hard to believe, as an early leaver in the past the platform was normally full by the final whistle. I am in the north and we left on the final whistle to go to the shop and I could see that the queue was already on the bridge.

Well, that's exactly what happened - and other people on this thread have verified they did the same. There were lots of people, but you could walk without stopping virtually all the way to the platform. When the ref blew up, I left my seat in ESU (so had to negotiate the stairs). then fast walk to the station, onto the platform and was even able to walk right to the end before the train got in to avoid having to move up the train when it arrived in Lewes.

The previous match against Bolton, I got stuck in a bit of a bottleneck leaving ESU after the final whistle, and was just 'locked out' of the platform by the rail stewards as the 1701 came in (annoying, as it wasn't full). Then had 9 mins to wait for the 17.10, but not exactly a hardship - was still in Lewes by 17.17.

If you want to make that early one, my advice would be to clock the added on minutes so you know when the ref is about to blow. I've often left a few seconds before the final whistle, when there's a break in play, just to get a head start to the exit!

Last edited:

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
There is quite obviously a difference between attending a home game and attending an away game. To compare the two is just pointless. When you travel to an away game you are committing to the whole day, for a home game you are committing to an afternoon.

Depends where you come from I'd have thought.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Depends where you come from I'd have thought.

I suppose so, but the numbers of people who live locally to leeds, for example, are not really significant enough to really impact on the discussion - there is maybe a handful of fans who live locally and don't leave early. There are teens of thousands of local fans at home games who don't leave early. Even if the numbers of people who live locally to away fixtures were, the argument would be that there is one game a season at [leeds], so it's easier to make a special day of it, whereas there are 23 a season at home, where there are large numbers of fans for whom football is an afternoon thing, rather than a special event to make a day of.

Either way, the lack of brighton fans leaving away games early is completely irrelevant to the discussion of brighton fans leaving home games early.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I suppose so, but the numbers of people who live locally to leeds, for example, are not really significant enough to really impact on the discussion - there is maybe a handful of fans who live locally and don't leave early. There are teens of thousands of local fans at home games who don't leave early. Even if the numbers of people who live locally to away fixtures were, the argument would be that there is one game a season at [leeds], so it's easier to make a special day of it, whereas there are 23 a season at home, where there are large numbers of fans for whom football is an afternoon thing, rather than a special event to make a day of.

Either way, the lack of brighton fans leaving away games early is completely irrelevant to the discussion of brighton fans leaving home games early.

I was comparing those that go to home games but live a distance away.

No matter. Still can't understand those that "need" to get away to save a few minutes.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here