Boris Johnson to campaign to leave the EU

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I reckon you are a mole planted on NSC by Theresa May to subvert all us normal xenophobes and racists.

And you're probably a Muslim.

I don't care that you know. The brown envelope stuffed with Euros has already been handed over...

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
This is a pretty good hatchet job on Boris .... from a fellow Conservative

Speaking as an outer, I welcome Boris's support but anyone who thinks that he's acting out of principle is seriously misguided. Boris will do what's best for Boris not what's best for the party or country

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
"For a man thirteen days ago who wrote eloquently of all the reasons we should stay in the EU and who weeks previously had made it fairly clear that he wanted to remain," Although I want to vote on the issue in hand, I'd certainly like to read those things he said.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
I'm genuinely astonished at Johnson's decision - must be the greatest piece of luck Corbyn has had since elected leader. The Tories will spend the next 4 months going into the May elections and London mayor tearing themselves apart over the issue that sent Thatcher to her political grave. It was all being relatively competently managed by the Blair of the right, Cameron with a load of PR bullshite and spin that the press were largely buying but looks like the pig ****er's luck has at last run out. Not before time.

It was the poll tax that did for Thatcher, not Europe. She did well in Europe, handbagging the money grabbing corrupt *******s.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
It was the poll tax that did for Thatcher, not Europe.

No, it was Europe who did for her. The Poll Tax was widely supported by her fellow Tories but the catalyst for her resignation was Geoffrey Howe's resignation and his speech. " "It is rather like sending your opening batsmen to the crease only for them to find, the moment the first balls are bowled, that their bats have been broken before the game by the team captain." I remember vividly the effect that speech had on the Tories.

And it was this same speech that ultimately led to Heseltine standing against her - on the issue of Europe - and led to her resignation. The Poll Tax may have damaged her reputation in the country at large but it was the issue of Europe that forced her out

pb21

Apr 23, 2010

Speaking as an outer, I welcome Boris's support but anyone who thinks that he's acting out of principle is seriously misguided. Boris will do what's best for Boris not what's best for the party or country

From that blog is the following gem:

If the OUTERS win the day the city of London will be ****ed.

No quite as eloquently put as Gove's piece the other day!

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
"For a man thirteen days ago who wrote eloquently of all the reasons we should stay in the EU and who weeks previously had made it fairly clear that he wanted to remain," Although I want to vote on the issue in hand, I'd certainly like to read those things he said.

Surely, he has changed his mind because he does not support the "deal" that Cameron has, possibly, won from the EU? I don't see a problem with that.

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
If he stands behind Cameron and the government he gets a cabinet position when his Mayoral tenure comes to an end and gets a chance to establish himself as a serious leadership contender.

The route he has taken is extremely risky as the smart money is on us staying in. If this happens he will most likely remain a back bench MP marginalised although his support amongst the grass roots will be increased.

Damned as opportunistic if he goes for either camp. I think he has genuine concerns about the EU which he developed over several years working in Brussels as a correspondent.

Can't see how he would have been damned for being opportunistic if he supported the Prime Minister?
As for the vote, it's too close to call but Johnson coming out for the Outs means it's more likely people will think we should leave and he will have known that only too well. The man is self-serving above all else.

Last edited:

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Can't see how he would have been damned for being opportunistic if he's supported the Prime Minister?
As for the vote, it's too close to call but Johnson coming out for the Outs means it's more likely people will think we should leave and he will have known that only too well. The man is self-serving above all else.

Because he would have been portrayed as putting his career before the country by those who expected him to join the leave group.

Agree with most of your other points although still likely to be an in vote but closer than previously thought.

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
This is such absolute shit. If he was choosing what would be best for his chance of becoming leader, he could have announced his decision on Friday night or on Saturday. It's not like he was unaware of the possible options DC might take.

We could have exactly the same discussion about every politician and why they've chosen which campaign to back. All the matters is that we listen to the arguments on both sides and vote in the way we think best.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think I'll vote out. I don't know how much it will effect our trade and that is my main concern. I am not at all worried about security, it's not like the EU will want us to be attacked by terrorists, and not want us to share information with them, and Russia aren't going to attack the UK.

What I do know, is that if we stay with the EU, I'll spend the rest of my life moaning about how they keep making bad decisions that are detrimental to our country, and that they don't care what we think.

The timing of Johnsons decision would have been carefully choreographed with other major players of the leave campaign. First Gove, then Johnson to keep the momentum over the weekend with the leavers. Niaive in the extreme to think otherwise.
But I accept there are legitimate views on both sides. The EU is a long way from being a perfect organisation, of course, but I'll vote to stay in and support further efforts for reform on the grounds of economics, security and influence.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The timing of Johnsons decision would have been carefully choreographed with other major players of the leave campaign. First Gove, then Johnson to keep the momentum over the weekend with the leavers.
The point is, his late announcement isn't because he was working out what was best for his career, he could have worked that out months ago.

I'll vote to stay in and support further efforts for reform on the grounds of economics, security and influence.
There is a better chance of reforming the EU if we vote out. It has been proven over the last few decades that the UK simply cannot reform the EU, it's got worse, not better. If we vote out, there's a fair chance the EU will offer us an alternative, with real reform. Certainly a better chance than us being able to reform it as we are.

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
Because he would have been portrayed as putting his career before the country by those who expected him to join the leave group.

Agree with most of your other points although still likely to be an in vote but closer than previously thought.

If he'd come out for Cameron and we vote to stay, George Osborne is Cameron's preferred successor. Not a done deal of course but that's one of the things in place for Osborne to play ball now. Osborne is not everyone's cup of tea but would be the establishment candidate, with all the powerful support that entails, to run in a leadership contest. Johnson knows that. Whereas, and it's is a gamble, ( I accept that, albeit an opportunistic one!) if we vote to leave, Cameron would have to go and Osborne, at the very least, would have been damaged, especially so if the economy slips back into recession. Johnson is then the candidate from the leavers,with all the momentum from a winning referendum position, to run for leader.
Very early days in the campaign of course but for now, the wind appears to be with the leavers.

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
The point is, his late announcement isn't because he was working out what was best for his career, he could have worked that out months ago.

There is a better chance of reforming the EU if we vote out. It has been proven over the last few decades that the UK simply cannot reform the EU, it's got worse, not better. If we vote out, there's a fair chance the EU will offer us an alternative, with real reform. Certainly a better chance than us being able to reform it as we are.

What are you talking about? If we leave, we will have no influence - that's the point. You have to stay in it to have any chance of reform. If we leave, we have none.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
What are you talking about? If we leave, we will have no influence - that's the point. You have to stay in it to have any chance of reform. If we leave, we have none.
If we vote leave, we won't just leave, the EU can try and persuade us to stay on different terms. They've done similar before. Also, if we do just leave, other countries may too push for reform.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports