Bookies at The Amex

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albion Robster

Jul 21, 2003
North West
The only thing that is letting down The Amex matchday experience (apart from the Azure Catering) is not being able to have a flutter before the game.

Can anybody inform or update to what the situation will be next season?
Is there space allocated in the concourses for a Bookies?

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
In this day and age who needs the presence of a bookie in a stadium, better odds online and most people have smart phones these days, dont they?

Save it for pie/beer sales points!

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
The only thing that is letting down The Amex matchday experience (apart from the Azure Catering) is not being able to have a flutter before the game.

Space was allocated originally. Apparently there was no serious interest from the major bookies. It has now died a death.

As said above, online or via mobile is the future!

Surrey_Albion

Jan 17, 2011
Horley
I was under the impression there are places on the concorse that would dedicated to have a bookies but not sure why they were not used, the sweetie shop in East was meant to be a bookies for example, I have heard that eventauly when all new seats are in that the Family stand will be where the away stand is and the new away area will be one half of the East stand, just like the goldstone so that would mean the sweetie shop will be available to be a bookies at present being in the "family" stand it would be a bit inapropriate I think

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
Its all very well saying you can do it online - I can rarely to anything online at the Amex

Yup very good point.

I am very lucky to get on to any web page on my phone at the Amex, and if I do it takes about 5 minutes.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
It's not down to the ground though is it, just the sheer number of people. If you go anywhere where there's 20,000 people in the same square mile or so, it'll be exactly the same.

Brok

😐
Dec 26, 2011
Yup very good point.

I am very lucky to get on to any web page on my phone at the Amex, and if I do it takes about 5 minutes.

Perhaps your time could be better spent. You could spend those valuable minutes talking to your mates, or singing, or relishing the atmos, or eating pies, or sampling different beers etc. If everyone spent their time there on the f***ing phone or the f***ing internet the place would be like a library.

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
Perhaps your time could be better spent. You could spend those valuable minutes talking to your mates, or singing, or relishing the atmos, or eating pies, or sampling different beers etc. If everyone spent their time there on the f***ing phone or the f***ing internet the place would be like a library.

fail-owned-fishing-fail.jpg

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I'm on Orange, and the 3G seems to work alright for me at the Amex.

I'm invariably mincing around Dick's bar from about 1pm, and between chatting I quite regularly check Twitter after 2pm to get the team news. Speedwise it updates pretty much the same as it does at most places. I've also managed to put my usual losing acca on using my Paddy Power app without too much wailing and gnashing of teeth.

Nay bother.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

Why bother? If you want to put a tenner on the 2.45 from Newbury they'll either have run out of betting slips or you'll have to queue til 3.10 to put your bet on.

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
I'm on Orange, and the 3G seems to work alright for me at the Amex.

I'm invariably mincing around Dick's bar from about 1pm, and between chatting I quite regularly check Twitter after 2pm to get the team news. Speedwise it updates pretty much the same as it does at most places. I've also managed to put my usual losing acca on using my Paddy Power app without too much wailing and gnashing of teeth.

Nay bother.

Yes my dad has Orange and can get Twitter working fine. By contrast on O2 I'm constantly raging, but O2 coverage on both the Uni campuses is absolutely terrible anyway. Hopefully they'll upgrade the tower at some point.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Im on O2, cant get signal at any stadium on a match day, was awful at Anfield at the weekend. A few round me on O2 were also having problems.

Annoying as it does get a bit boring in the gap before kick off and half time.

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
A massive Ernest style THIS. My phone simply goes to sleep when I'm at the Amex, after the game I have to restart it to be able to call or text :shrug:

you are supposed to be WATCHING the game, not fiddling with a feckin fone!:rant::rant::censored:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

Just listened back to Tony Bloom's answer when he was on the excellent Albion Roar in October.

Basically, they got very little interest from the betting companies, and for what was involved, all parties felt it was going to be a loss-maker. So the club turned what was going to be betting kiosks into 'Pie & Beer' kiosks, which are far more lucrative.

Brok

😐
Dec 26, 2011
Not fishing at all, just telling it the way I see it. Is the internet/phone really that important? I mean you're on it now, probually have been all day, probually will be half the night, and you still want to be on the bloody thing when you go to football?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports