Book Recommendations

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

questier

Apr 16, 2006
Cambridgeshire/Liverpool
I’m off on holiday in a couple of weeks and need a good couple of books to read. I was wondering whether the good people of NSC would like to recommend any books they have read or currently reading.

Plus if someone can tell me the best Cloughie book thats out, as there are quite a few to choose from.

Cheers in advance

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I've just started "The Guvnor", Lenny McLean. Only two chapters in, but its a goodun so far.

HellHolidays.jpg

Will make you laugh.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
If you are into autobiographies 'Dreams from my Father' by Barack Obama is very good.

It was written when he was not widely known outside of the law profession (he had just become the first black editor of Harvard Law review) and tells of growing up in a multicultural setting and being a young person struggling to understand the meaning of being black in modern America.

Last edited:

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Not sure what your taste in literature is but I read the time travellers wife on my last trip, was an excellent book, definitely one that is hard to put down.

Other options, Shantaram weighs in at over 900 pages but is brilliant nonetheless, Norwegian Wood by Haruki Murukami was also pretty good as were memoirs of a geisha.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
FA confidential by David Davies is also very good - a brilliant insight into the FA's inability to act on anything.

I also enjoy any Stephen E. Ambrose book.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
After The Reich by Giles McDonagh. Brilliant, gruesome and fascinatingly-written book on a massive but hitherto under-reported aspect of the aftermath of WW2. Can't recommend it highly enough.

matt

Mar 19, 2007
I think Clough did two official autobiographies which are both fairly standard 'this is my life' accounts.

'Clough - A biography' by Tony Francis is unauthorised and a bit more meaty/honest.

The Damned United is a great read but *fictional*

If you can get hold of a copy I would recommend 'With Clough' by Peter Taylor.

Hope that helps :)

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Good fiction romp about the post-prison life of one of the Jamie Bulger boys, released with new name, identity etc. I don't normally do fiction, but this is an excellent, well writtten food for thought piece of work.

41o3NH0HJYL._SL160_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-dp,TopRight,12,-18_SH30_OU02_AA115_.jpg

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
Whilst watching The Wire, I noticed that George Pelecanos had written an episode and by the 3rd series was a producer. On the strength of that I got hold of his "The Night Gardener" - a crime drama, and it's excellently written.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
FA confidential by David Davies is also very good - a brilliant insight into the FA's inability to act on anything.

Agreed. And it mentions the Albion a few times.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports