Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Booing someone being carried off on a stretcher.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
They seemed to be under the impression it was a deliberate tactic as a few of our players went down early in the match when Derby were on top. They also claimed numerous handballs were missed by officials which may have influenced the late pen decision. Overall their support was pretty good to be fair with lots of 'banter' with our section although they quietened down second half for obvious reasons.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Does anybody else remember Joe Kinnear being bood as he left the Goldstone pitch on a stretcher...and he played for us!

Kinnear had a long career at Spurs as a classy RB but was one of those players who seemingly came down here to 'retire' on easy money. never looked interested and, over a crucial Easter made a few mistakes which, some say, cost us promotion.

He was carried off in a game v Gillingham and never played again, no great loss. Strange how he was such a good player at Spurs and such a tough manager in later years yet such a passenger in the Albion team.

sjamesb3466

Jan 31, 2009
Leicester
Thought it was pathetic from them, the booed him when he went down the first time too and was clearly hurt both times.

Was disappointed though when some of our fans booed one of their players in retaliation when he was down injured. He wasn't being carried off but was still not the correct response imo

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Derby are now up there with my most hated teams, Palace, Millwall, Leeds, Derby

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
That's an urban myth. Murray went down in the box with no one near him and a few booed thinking he was trying to win a penalty. When it became obvious he was badly injured there was no booing was there? Certainly not when he was on a stretcher.

Plenty of people with bulging veins were booing him every time he went near the ball and they boo'd him even louder when he went down hurt. I was near the front and anyone who thought he was trying to win a penalty must have been overwhelmed by their own self-induced rage.

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
Why wouldn't you clap an opposition player being stretchered off? When players are forced off I always clap. After all, football is entertainment and without both teams giving it a go we would not have the game we love. Injured players deserve a clap

Not on my team so not really my place to do so. I think silences say more than claps anyway, when it comes to showing respect.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Let's get over it shall we. Brighton used to sing "Bring on the dustbin" when a stretcher came on the pitch.

No they didn't. It was when a player was being treated and Before anyone knew it was serious. If a stretcher was called for the crowd would always applaud a player off.

Feb 14, 2010
Used to make monkey noises at black players as well. You're doing well with this weekends game aren't you ?

I dont remember that was a problem at Brighton. NSC is being very prissy. Need to get over themselves some on here. Same with the shock about the police presence. Derby is not far from Chesterfield and so given Brighton's reputation for causing trouble in that area and being top of the league, I'm not surprised the police had a presence. Why some on NSC dont know that is very odd.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I dont remember that was a problem at Brighton. NSC is being very prissy. Need to get over themselves some on here. Same with the shock about the police presence. Derby is not far from Chesterfield and so given Brighton's reputation for causing trouble in that area and being top of the league, I'm not surprised the police had a presence. Why some on NSC dont know that is very odd.
I don't know about all that WCP just that from the late 60's I have never heard other than applause for a player who has had the misfortune to be stretchered off whether ours or theirs. Not whinging about the other stuff. Ps I obviously edited my post because it was going off topic.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Really not a big deal. It's football, pack mentality, seen our fans dish it out loads of times to obviously injured players. Wasn't like it was the whole stadium either, some clapped as Solly went off. An overaction and a generalisation. I was pretty disappointed by the minority of Albion fans who boo'd us off at half time against Charlton.

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London
Words fail me.

How much of a **** do you have to be to do that?

Thick northerners.

Perhaps it wasn't booing but a neanderthal cry of some kind, and they were moaning in pain?

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
I took a look at Derby's forum to see what they made of us losing today. Instead I found that one of their administrators has been off hunting for evidence that Brighton fans booed off a stretchered player, presumably because this would make Derby fans innocent. I guess he is not one to admit that fair criticism was made and that not all his team's fans make good decisions all the time. He came up with the unfortunate Byron Anthony.

I remember that challenge and the horrible noise made by the two legs meeting.
I remember the referee not reacting at first as it was a fifty fifty challenge that didn't even warrant a free kick.
I remember the ref then panicking and sending off Calde when he realised that Anthony was badly hurt.
I remember the Amex booing a terrible refereeing decision, but no booing of the player who was stretchered off.
I remember that Calde visited him in hospital and that the red card was appealed and the appeal was upheld.

I remember when Derby were also-rans. Vicente and Lua Lua tore them apart.
I remember them getting better, turning us over in the play offs, but their fans acting with a fair amount of class on here afterwards.
I remember them choking in the play off final.
I remember them choking again last year when they had by far and away the best squad in the division.

I don't remember when their team was given an automatic right to win games, or a section of their fans to act with no class when they weren't winning

Do you think the sense of entitlement being thwarted by repeated choking has turned them bitter, or do you think that they showed class after the play offs only because they won? It makes me wonder how the nice 'Boro fans would have reacted if we hadn't rolled over for them today.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here