Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Boo gate.

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
Potter said after he game that there would be games where the team deserved to be booed but that the Leeds game wasn't one of them. When the team (or at least certain players) were booed in the dire Sheffield FA cup game, he made no comments about it. Maybe after the Leeds game he thought Brighton fans would have skin thick enough to accept his honest opinion but as we're still discussing this like 10 months later, he obviously misjudged it.

Anyway, what happened was:
- Some supporters booed. Far from everyone or even the majority.
- Graham Potter made a comment about it like five minutes after the game.

Somehow people like to pretend that both of these things are a big deal and use it as a weapon against either the Brighton fans or GP, depending on what mood people are in.

Maybe, just maybe, it would be sensible for everyone just to let it go.

Agree Swanny. Please post to all other fan's forums, and all media outlets. It's not Brighton fans who won't let it go.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Totally agree with the gist of the article. Potter will get boos and criticism at Chelsea and its clear he gets a bit prickly when he gets it. He will equally get nowhere near as much leeway as he did here when things go wrong and they always do at any football club no matter how good you are. He will need to handle that better at Chelsea.

I do also find it strange why Brighton are always singled out on this. Every time I watch an Everton game they get booed off.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
What a load of bollox.

Personally, I have never booed a Brighton team, and I saw us lose to Walton and Hersham, and Leatherhead. Most Albion fans comments on the booing that day against Leeds have said it was in response to the result and/ or the impotence in front of goal, again. To batter a team for 90 minutes and miss over 20 shots is frustrating, more so when it was one of a series of games where it happened.
My way to show displeasure at the team is I don’t clap them off if the display is particularly awful( see Bournemouth 0-5)

To say I “ clearly “ want Potter to fail is nonsense, I really couldn’t care less about Chelsea, I admit, I don’t like them as a club, but I dislike both Manc clubs, dirty Leeds , Palace obviously, Orient, Cardiff and Pompey a lot more.

My overriding emotion about Potter leaving is disappointment with Bruno and Ben Roberts, not the fact they have left, but that there has been no statement from them . It makes Bruno’s video and previous comments about the club look very cynical.

My apologies if I misread the room. I thought (wrongly it seems) that you had posted an article about him getting booed, as a precursor to him getting booed at Chelsea. A "see how he likes getting booed then" type thread.

My apologies to you!

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
My apologies if I misread the room. I thought (wrongly it seems) that you had posted an article about him getting booed, as a precursor to him getting booed at Chelsea. A "see how he likes getting booed then" type thread.

My apologies to you!

Apology completely accepted.

I thought it was a strange post from you, as you are one of the more balanced posters on here.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Wait till he has a bad run at Chelsea. Look the replies to the official club tweet

[tweet]1569259208176025600[/tweet]
Can see why they are annoyed. Just too humble ! You've got have a bit of swagger to be Chelsea manager. Tuchel came in and promised the fans they would win the lot. Potters come in and said he will listen to and cuddle everyone.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Totally agree with the gist of the article. Potter will get boos and criticism at Chelsea and its clear he gets a bit prickly when he gets it. He will equally get nowhere near as much leeway as he did here when things go wrong and they always do at any football club no matter how good you are. He will need to handle that better at Chelsea.

I do also find it strange why Brighton are always singled out on this. Every time I watch an Everton game they get booed off.

I do wonder if there is a deep seated feeling among a fair few Football people that we are a jumped up club with ideas above our station.

Poogate, and the complete acceptance by many of the Palace lies, without any proof.
The acceptance that Gus was sacked while on television, now debunked by everyone.
Hughton getting the sack, and the suggestion by some that it was racist, even though those who sacked him were the same as those that employed him in the first place.
And now, the widely accepted view that Ptter was right to leave only because of the very limited booing at one game.

Just because I’m paranoid it doesn’t mean they’re not out to get us.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Thought it was a decent perspective for the non-Brighton fan on that incident. The media keeps churning it up like that TalkShite clip recently.
Yes it was. It also seemed very un-Potter-like when he reacted that way at the time. Probably piles or a toothache is my best guess! :)

It has turned out in retrospect to be an unfortunate remark thiugh.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
I do wonder if there is a deep seated feeling among a fair few Football people that we are a jumped up club with ideas above our station.

Poogate, and the complete acceptance by many of the Palace lies, without any proof.
The acceptance that Gus was sacked while on television, now debunked by everyone.
Hughton getting the sack, and the suggestion by some that it was racist, even though those who sacked him were the same as those that employed him in the first place.
And now, the widely accepted view that Ptter was right to leave only because of the very limited booing at one game.

Just because I’m paranoid it doesn’t mean they’re not out to get us.

There's a mixture of reasons in my mind. The likes of Micky Gray- in the TS click bait earlier clip - will refer to Boogate because that's about all he knows about us. In his mind, we are still League 1 and Sunderland are PL. Stuck in the past, lazy in my day pundit. Who cares what he thinks? He's wrong about everything.

Poogate, clackergate and Gus were just great tabloid fodder. The modern day "cat stuck up a tree" sports page filler. Credit to Gus as well, he deserves an Oscar for his work that night.

Hughtons sacking was much darker. There was definitely allegations thrown about that were at best misguided, at worst reverse racism against TB by those who didn't like TBs background and used it as a chance to stick the boot in. Some of those involved were a disgrace and have been proved to have been completely wrong.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Can see why they are annoyed. Just too humble ! You've got have a bit of swagger to be Chelsea manager. Tuchel came in and promised the fans they would win the lot. Potters come in and said he will listen to and cuddle everyone.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Very much this as well. Chelsea fans don't give a shit about "levels" "process" and "it is what it is" They will want someone telling the world how great they are week in, week out and sticking 5 past Bournemouth. whilst droning on Chelsea, Chelsea, Chelsea.

It'll be interesting to watch his press conferences from now on. I reckon he will have to get a bit more big time to survive.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Very much this as well. Chelsea fans don't give a shit about "levels" "process" and "it is what it is" They will want someone telling the world how great they are week in, week out and sticking 5 past Bournemouth. whilst droning on Chelsea, Chelsea, Chelsea.

It'll be interesting to watch his press conferences from now on. I reckon he will have to get a bit more big time to survive.

I imagine GP will know what booing is soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gonzo BHA

Sep 3, 2004
BN1
The whole saga around the booing was a complete storm in a teacup created by the media and fuelled by Potter's comments. I was at the game and barely heard a single boo.

Of course there is always going to be one or two people out of 30k who will voice their displeasure, but I suppose that's par for the course when there are a lot of JCL's now following the club since our recent on and off field success.

Dave the hatosaurus

Aug 22, 2021
worthing
The whole saga around the booing was a complete storm in a teacup created by the media and fuelled by Potter's comments. I was at the game and barely heard a single boo.

Of course there is always going to be one or two people out of 30k who will voice their displeasure, but I suppose that's par for the course when there are a lot of JCL's now following the club since our recent on and off field success.

Absolutely agree with your first line , would add that my take on it was that because Brighton are a team who are not renowned for booing that the mere fact that there was some and Potter commented on it highlighted it in the medias eyes even if it was a really small amount .

I would never boo my team as i think it does not achieve anything constructive . Sure will let the opponents have it especially a pantomime villain or a genuinely nasty piece of work and the ref occasionally too if i feel he has had a particularly bad game but the Albion never .

I have seen on this board a lot recently about fans who intend to boo GP on his return to the amex and while i have every sympathy with their anger i will not be joining them and one of my major reasons is that i feel the media and possibly to a lesser extent the man himself will see it as justification for his departure ( after all he did for the club , they never liked him anyway etc ) and use it as another stick to beat our club with . That being said i will certainly not be applauding him either , maybe polite disdain is the way to go .

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
15,000 left in the stadium didn’t boo, a couple of hundred folk did.

A non incident.

West Ham, Arsenal, Manu and Spuds managers/players over the last 10 years are used to mass (10,000’s at a time) booing at final whistle, booing over subs, “You don’t know what you’re doing” and attempted violent abuse of managers, directors and players.

All neatly forgotten in a day or two.

The difference, Potter (for once) thought very irrationally, letting a tiny minority get into his head and making his sensitivity/annoyance known to the media. A gaff.

Creating a narrative every lazy hack and pundit have churned out ever since.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
15,000 left in the stadium didn’t boo, a couple of hundred folk did.

A non incident.

West Ham, Arsenal, Manu and Spuds managers/players over the last 10 years are used to mass (10,000’s at a time) booing at final whistle, booing over subs, “You don’t know what you’re doing” and attempted violent abuse of managers, directors and players.

All neatly forgotten in a day or two.

The difference, Potter (for once) thought very irrationally, letting a tiny minority get into his head and making his sensitivity/annoyance known to the media. A gaff.

Creating a narrative every lazy hack and pundit have churned out ever since.

Must admit I didn't even realise it had happened until back in the car and listening to Radio Sussex.

Booing his return is an odd one. Speaking last week to an ex-player who played over 500 games in his career, over 200 for us, he says he'd expect us to turn it into a cauldron even going so far as to throw fake paper money as he walked out at the start of the match. I asked him if such a thing makes any difference. Too right he said.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here