Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bongs replacement for the next game...

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
Surely a shoe in for the Reading game if he doesn't play Sat?

It's "shoo-in", not "shoe in". Apologies for the pedantry, but I keep seeing this mistake and it seems as if it's going to be one of those many English expressions which is at risk of getting lost because people misuse it, or mistake it for something else.

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/shoo-in

Last edited:

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
How has he lost the right to start? As has been pointed out, none of the goals conceded have come from down the left side, so defensively, he did well, last night and previously.

Going forward, he has a problem, but, he's not the only one, and as been pointed out, as well, he made the pass into the area which led to the winning goal.

Why would you drop him? Who for? An unknown LB who isn't match fit, and an injured development player?

I'm sure some of our fans only see the bad and not the good.

Defensively he was good last night. However, that's not the only aspect of the game that is required of him. He plays in a formation that requires him to be able to move forward and link with other players (which he did fantastically with KLL last season, but has failed completely so far this season). Added to this is the fact that he is and always has been woeful in the air.

I would drop him because he is the weakest player in the squad at the moment. Even if Poco is not not yet match fit, the point of having depth in the squad is to have the option to drop players and promote players as part of their motivational management as well as physical conditioning. Tell Poco on weds morning that he has a place on Sat and that Bong has to re-prove himself. Both should take that as the motivation to work harder and raise both their games.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Defensively he was good last night. However, that's not the only aspect of the game that is required of him. He plays in a formation that requires him to be able to move forward and link with other players (which he did fantastically with KLL last season, but has failed completely so far this season). Added to this is the fact that he is and always has been woeful in the air.

I would drop him because he is the weakest player in the squad at the moment. Even if Poco is not not yet match fit, the point of having depth in the squad is to have the option to drop players and promote players as part of their motivational management as well as physical conditioning. Tell Poco on weds morning that he has a place on Sat and that Bong has to re-prove himself. Both should take that as the motivation to work harder and raise both their games.

Bong was getting a lot of stick from the fans last night, so his confidence isn't good. He still created the chance for the goal.
What is it going to do for his confidence, if he's told that he has to prove himself to play?

I think the fans should get off his back, just my opinion.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
He didn't play well first half, second half he was much better. Give him time, eh? Maybe we should create some motivational posters for him with miscellaneous quotes?

BwZQjTeIEAEZbaN.png

Wait, maybe that wasn't such a good one to start with . . .

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Defended okay but had a handful of poor passes. We've had bigger problems. Hopefully he can play through it and get back to his best.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Bong was getting a lot of stick from the fans last night, so his confidence isn't good. He still created the chance for the goal.
What is it going to do for his confidence, if he's told that he has to prove himself to play?

I think the fans should get off his back, just my opinion.

And if CH agrees with you, then that's fair enough... he is paid to make those decisions. However, if that's the case he should stop repeating week in week out in the program that we have "strength in depth and the players are competing for their place in the team".

If a player is too sensitive, confidence-wise, to be dropped then he is holding the rest of the squad to ransom.

drummerboy10

Apr 18, 2012
100% This.

Also, why are people calling for Bong to be permanently dropped and not the 9/10 players who were shocking on saturday? Easier to criticise when one has a bad game isn't it

One game?... Bong has been poor all season.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
And if CH agrees with you, then that's fair enough... he is paid to make those decisions. However, if that's the case he should stop repeating week in week out in the program that we have "strength in depth and the players are competing for their place in the team".

If a player is too sensitive, confidence-wise, to be dropped then he is holding the rest of the squad to ransom.

At the moment we haven't got strength in depth for that position. Pocognoli isn't match fit, and Adkugbe (why can't we have players called Smith) is injured.
Edited to add Liam Rosenior is out for a few months.
Hopefully, the clean sheet, and the assist for the assist will do his confidence a world of good.

Last edited:

Petee

Nov 22, 2010
Brighton
One game?... Bong has been poor all season.

I know, I agree. I was saying that as he was the only one who made a few noticeable errors, he is getting a lot of stick.

He hasn't been great this season but nothing worthy of the slagging off on here after last night.

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
Look - hopefully the lack of communication between Bong and Murphy has been noted and will be number 1 priority on the training pitch. If they can get it together it will open up a dimension that has been missing this season.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Just confirms my opinion that Rosenior is bloody awesome and we miss him greatly in our side.

Best left back we have and I suspect our best right back if given the opportunity to play there.

I bloody love Rosenior.

madinthehead

I have changed this
Jan 22, 2009
Oberursel, Germany
So NSC decides Baldock is crap because, even though he works hard, makes runs and space for other players, he does not score goals. After all, he is a strikers and strikers are paid to score/it is his job to score blah blah blah.
So people then say Bong is crap as he was bad going forward!? People admit he was good defensively, bit he is a defender, he is paid to defend/it is his job to defend. We kept a clean sheet.
I don't follow NSCs logic. Or is it just "oooooo look a scapegoat....get him!"

To be fair, I dont recall Baldock touching the ball, let alone setting up any opportunities last night...

:rolleyes:

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
So NSC decides Baldock is crap because, even though he works hard, makes runs and space for other players, he does not score goals. After all, he is a strikers and strikers are paid to score/it is his job to score blah blah blah.
So people then say Bong is crap as he was bad going forward!? People admit he was good defensively, bit he is a defender, he is paid to defend/it is his job to defend. We kept a clean sheet.
I don't follow NSCs logic. Or is it just "oooooo look a scapegoat....get him!"

There is no such thing as a NSC view as a collective. Perhaps it's different people engaging in the Baldock and Bong arguments ? FWIW I think Bong is improving with every game (although I wasn't there last night). I would let him keep the shirt.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Just confirms my opinion that Rosenior is bloody awesome and we miss him greatly in our side.

Best left back we have and I suspect our best right back if given the opportunity to play there.

I bloody love Rosenior.

You are possible correct about right back but definitely wrong about left back and I think LR is awesome but not at left back.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
You are possible correct about right back but definitely wrong about left back and I think LR is awesome but not at left back.

How can you say his opinion is definitely wrong? It's an opinion. You may not agree with it, but that doesn't make it wrong.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here