Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Bong being abused all game.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
He once said that red lipstick on a black woman was like jam on burnt toast.

And all homosexuals should be burnt.

It's all Burnley's fault.

Ahh. More what-aboutery

Gray called out your own fans for racially abusing a black Bradford player...in a friendly. Is that ok then ?

Blimey. The mask has slipped.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Strange that you'll never get it.

Keep pushing the 'black' thing. It certainly works on this forum.

I'll never "get" what ? Why our fullback got dogs abuse from your lot for reporting an incident of racist abuse ?

And there is no 'black thing' on this forum, there never has been. Until the likes of you got involved. Thoroughly depressing.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Strange that you'll never get it.

Keep pushing the 'black' thing. It certainly works on this forum.

I'll never "get" what ? Why our fullback got dogs abuse from your lot for reporting an incident of racist abuse ?

And there is no 'black thing' on this forum, there never has been. Until the likes of you got involved.

Thoroughly depressing.

Jan 10, 2014
He is different in quite a significant way. Your fans knew that Cole, Terry and Coyle had actually done whatever made them worthy of being booed. The investigation has stated categorically that Bong had not done what you were booing him for. He didn't make a malicious complaint.

Your lot are still not understanding that one of ours was accused a racism.

It may be a throwaway comment for most of you, but it is quite serious.

We hammered Jason Shackell that much he had a shocker and we won 4-1. It does work.

A lot of admiration for Bong because it didn't work against him.

We tried though.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

We hammered Jason Shackell that much he had a shocker and we won 4-1. It does work.

We tried though.

Ridiculous. Other than a couple of the usual dilberts, NOBODY here is treating Bongs case as as being a "throwaway comment".

Seriously. You're actually advocating your fans using a case of racist abuse as fair game to throw an opposition player off his game. Just. Read. That. Back.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
I see the love-in and admiration for Burnley has quickly come to a halt, similarly to how it did just after playing them in 2016.

"We" booed Bong because he accused one of our own as being racist.

He didn't accuse anyone of being racist. He reported what was either a) a racist comment or b) what he heard to be a racist comment. It's baffling that you consider dogs abuse (and it was just that, having been there) as justified for reporting an actionable offence.

For what it's worth I disagree with many on this thread who have criticised Burnley as a place and a generalisation of it's inhabitants (and I think you will find that to be the majority case for our fans despite what you see on this board) but you're showing a lack of understanding of this situation and verdict. Spoken like a jumped up southerner.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
He is different in quite a significant way. Your fans knew that Cole, Terry and Coyle had actually done whatever made them worthy of being booed. The investigation has stated categorically that Bong had not done what you were booing him for. He didn't make a malicious complaint.

Those who chose to boo prejudged the situation because they viewed one of the two people involved as an insider to be believed and protected and another as an outsider to be mistrusted and targeted. This was nothing to do with Burnley v Brighton, this was a group of people saying to one man: 'You are a liar or a cheat who has contempt for the honour of a fellow professional.' 'The reason for us coming to this conclusion is because the other man is 'One of our own' and you are not.' A pretty perfect example of a position being taken on the basis of prejudice.

The booing may not have been racially motivated, but a largely white crowd targeting a black man who, at worst, has felt himself to have been racially abused and reported it in good faith was pretty racially insensitive. Chris Hughton used the word 'shameful' and it's a very well chosen word. Football crowds in this country, Brighton included, have a pretty shameful past when it comes to their treatment of black professionals. We individuals may not have been personally involved in the historical wrongs, but we represent football now and need to show sensitivity and make whatever effort is necessary to right those wrongs and make today's sport undeniably inclusive.

It is difficult for respect and personal empathy to play a part when partisan loyalties are so fierce, but we are all individuals, able to assess our own motivations and responsible for the impact of our behaviour on others. In matters related to football, it is often the case that the only motivation we can find for our positions is based on loyalty to our own teams. This is not a good enough motivation to warrant the expression of simplistic views about complicated matters. The booing achieved nothing good. It's impact upon an already difficult situation was an entirely negative one.

You are spot on here, as was Chris Hughton. Booing a player for making a stand against racism is poor form.

Its like so many things though isn't it? Opinions are formed without knowledge of the full facts and corners defended without question. Sadly some decide to act this way and then others decide that the best reply is to start slagging off an entire town.

One thing that did make me smile though, the Burnley fans who keep calling Rodriguez 'Burnley, through and through' & 'one of our own'. it may just be my definition but I i would think that if someone is 'through and through' or 'one of our own' they would still be playing for the club?

lancyclaret

Jan 10, 2014
Really? Then how comes there's fans on your forum claiming Dyche got rid because he was a bad egg? There's a fair few of your fans making this point.

To be fair to your fans on that forum, they're commenting on how cringy this JR arse licking has got from a large proportion of your fans. The same users posted how Dyche got rid of JR for being disruptive in the changing room. When JR left you, he joined Southampton who'd just won promotion from the Championship. Hardly striving for bigger and better. It's not insane to suggest he was booted out by Dyche considering who JR then joined. I respect Dyche as a manger and I really doubt he'd want someone in his team who's willing to stoop to the level of holding his nose and playing the 'you smell' card like some infant child. JR is clearly a complete knob based on the Bong incident even if there were no racial comments. Well done to Dyche for getting rid, and well done to the Burnley fans for blindly believing everything JR says.

Not there Saturday, I live a long way from Burnley so don't go to many games any more. So I don't want to comment on Saturday's events without fully knowing the facts.

However, I would, respectfully, like to point out that you are wrong to congratulate Sean Dyche for "getting rid" of Rodriguez.The credit for that should go to the lovable EDDIE HOWE who was the manager when Rodriguez was sold in the summer of 2012. Dyche succeeded Howe in October 2012.:)

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
The upshot of all this is that the booing Burley fans have looked at the situation, the FA investigation etc and decided that Bong has maliciously made up the whole thing. The bloke on 606 was clearly confused by the whole 'not enough evidence' and 'not guilty' thing, one can only assume that the others were also confused by this and have chosen to ignore the other possibility that Bong had misheard Rodrigeuz and both players were telling the truth. Given the lack of evidence (because Rodriguez covered his mouth??) this would be the most logical conclusion to come to as we don't want to stop players from reporting racism if it occurs, nor do we want to label a player a racist when their is no evidence that he is one.

Probably a bit too much thinking involved for some though. "He accused our ex play of racism though, we must boo him". I don't think reason and logic is going to get very far with this (lack of) thinking. :facepalm:

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
Not there Saturday, I live a long way from Burnley so don't go to many games any more. So I don't want to comment on Saturday's events without fully knowing the facts.

However, I would, respectfully, like to point out that you are wrong to congratulate Sean Dyche for "getting rid" of Rodriguez.The credit for that should go to the lovable EDDIE HOWE who was the manager when Rodriguez was sold in the summer of 2012. Dyche succeeded Howe in October 2012.:)

Fair play. :blush:

RustyKent

Jun 2, 2014
Herne Bay
From a piece in the Daily Mirror.

Burnley fans branded "disgraceful" and "disgusting" for treatment of Brighton's Gaetan Bong following Jay Rodriguez row
Bong was booed and abused by Clarets fans in relation to his clash with former Burnley favourite Rodriguez earlier this year

Burnley fans who booed and chanted at Brighton’s Cameroon International Gaetan Bong have been accused of being “disgraceful” and “disgusting” - by a fellow Clarets’ supporter.

With Burnley all-but qualified for the Europa League next season, a tweet from a Clarets fan said: “Can’t deny it - fans disgraceful today, failing to grasp reality of where European tour meets booing a foreigner.

“At one point, the chant said Bong had smelly breath. Disgusting. Not banter, not fun, not funny.”

Brighton boss Chris Hughton said the treatment of Bong, was “shameful.”

Hughton said he was “angry and surprised” but was not considering taking the matter further, though he would discuss it with Burnley manager Sean Dyche when they had an after-match drink together.

The constant booing of Bong every time he touched the ball has re-focused attention on his claim that former Burnley favourite Jay Rodriguez racially abused him during a match last January at West Brom, where Rodriguez now plays.

An FA inquiry, using a lip-reading expert, found the claim ‘not proven,’ after Bong alleged Rodriguez said: “You’re black and you stink,” but the one-cap England player insisted he only said: “Your breath stinks,” as he pinched his nose.

At Burnley on Saturday, Bong was booed continuously, with some Burnley supporters chanting: ‘Jay Rodriguez, he’s one of our own.

Hughton has also condemned the actions of supporters (Image: REUTERS)
In reply, sections of the near-2,000 strong travelling army of Brighton fans sung: ‘You’re just a town of racists’, sparking Burnley fans to respond with homophobic chants

Hughton said: “Gaetan is an excellent professional and a top-class individual, a very disciplined and honest person.”

How armed forces veterans transformed life of bullied autistic boy who looked set to go to prison
Sponsored by The People's Project
Opt out of Adyoulike ad targeting
He said that the incident was “something that happened, not nice, but he is strong enough to deal with it... I just didn’t expect it here today.”

Burnley and Brighton's clash finished goalless (Image: REUTERS)
Brighton face a nervy finale to the season and on-loan striker Leonardo Ulloa says the Seagulls need to take a leaf out of parent club Leicester’s great escape in the season before their title win.

“We have to play like that and keep together as a group. We have three tough games left, but we have to go for the points.

“A point at Burnley is good for us, and we kept a clean sheet. It is not a time to worry. We must play for ourselves and then look at the other results afterwards.”

Kick It Out "concerned" by Bong booing
Anti-race campaigners Kick it Out say they are “concerned” about Burnley fans' booing of Gaetan Bong and urged players to continue reporting abuse, writes Adrian Kajumba.

Brighton defender Bong was jeered after accusing West Brom's former Clarets striker Jay Rodriguez of racially abusing him in January.

Seagulls boss Chris Hughton labelled the treatment of left-back Bong “shameful.”

In a statement, KIO said: “Kick It Out is concerned at reports that Gaetan Bong was booed on Saturday for raising an alleged incident of racism with The Football Association.

“Kick It Out believes all allegations of discrimination must follow a fair and transparent process for all parties involved and the organisation accepts the ‘not proven’ ruling made by The FA, due to insufficient evidence.

“However, it it is important to acknowledge that an allegation found ‘not proven’ does not mean that the complainant has lied or acted in bad faith.

“Kick It Out fully supports the decision by Gaetan Bong to report the alleged incident and encourages any player who believes they have been the target of discriminatory abuse to do the same.”

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003

We tried though.

Eh?

So because 'one of your own' was accused of racism, you think it's acceptable to boo the player who believed he was racially abused? Curious logic.

Everyone understands that Rodriguez was accused of racism. What is difficult to understand is how you and others think that justifies the actions of some Burnley supporters.

I'm completely stunned about the amount of Burnley supporters who apparently think this is acceptable. Do you think Bong was wrong to report that he believed he was racially abused?

No one's ever going to know what Rodriguez actually said, but the language he did admit to at the very least makes him come across as a complete bellend.

Why are we even having this debate? It's 2018 ffs.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Eh?

So because 'one of your own' was accused of racism, you think it's acceptable to boo the player who believed he was racially abused? Curious logic.

Everyone understands that Rodriguez was accused of racism. What is difficult to understand is how you and others think that justifies the actions of some Burnley supporters.

I'm completely stunned about the amount of Burnley supporters who apparently think this is acceptable. Do you think Bong was wrong to report that he believed he was racially abused?

No one's ever going to know what Rodriguez actually said, but the language he did admit to at the very least makes him come across as a complete bellend.

Why are we even having this debate? It's 2018 ffs.

Two people know what Rodriguez said. Him and Gaetan.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
Two people know what Rodriguez said. Him and Gaetan.

Only Rodriguez knows for sure, given it's possible that Bong misheard him. That's part of the problem - Burnley and WBA fans accusing Bong of lying, calling him a disgrace etc on Twitter, despite there being absolutely no evidence to suggest Bong made it up.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
I was, initially, of the view that a professional footballer was unlikely to do something as stupid as to racially abuse another player...I thought perhaps Bong had genuinely misheard and it was a misunderstanding.

Then I read this thread, it seems that some Burnley folk are racist and thick and it was almost certainly said after all.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
Quote from the Burnley forum:

The oddest thing about the whole Bong accusation against Jay is that his on field reaction, at the point it was supposed to have occurred, is very muted and calm.

How many football racism claims have you see where the player simply and calmly informs the referee that his opponent has said something racist. It just doesn’t add up.

It all looks as though he took offence at the you stink thing, perceived that to be racist and then it all got out of hand very quickly and he simply couldn’t be seen to back down.

Despite the ridiculousness of this individual's maracious powers of interpretation, it's actually not true.

If you're reading this, you absolute numpty, watch the background of the below clip from 2 mins onwards. Does that look like someone who's muted and calm?

[tweet]952653555034460162[/tweet]

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here