Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Bonfires

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Bonfires are usually lit when necessary (plus on and around Bonfire Night). Windows can be closed - being in the midst of a cloud of smoke will affect breathing; but a distant whiff of a bonfire? No - just close the windows! Coronavirus isn't spread by burning garden waste!

Are you being deliberately provocative or just dense? Medical advice for those who think they have Covid 19, and are self isolating, is that they should sleep with a window open to help with breathing difficulties, which are a frequent symptom of the virus. How is someone in this position supposed to follow that advice when some idiot has lit a large bonfire three doors away? Believe me, you get more than the odd whiff of smoke.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Are you being deliberately provocative or just dense? Medical advice for those who think they have Covid 19, and are self isolating, is that they should sleep with a window open to help with breathing difficulties, which are a frequent symptom of the virus. How is someone in this position supposed to follow that advice when some idiot has lit a large bonfire three doors away? Believe me, you get more than the odd whiff of smoke.

Best get on to the council to make sure they collect the rubbish then.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
good luck getting a bonfire going without some sort of accelerant .......trying to burn barrow fulls of wet garden waste = smoke city........

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Best get on to the council to make sure they collect the rubbish then.

So it's ok potentially to put someone's life at risk, in a time of unprecedented national emergency, just to burn some rubbish? Or are you suggesting that it would be the Council's fault for not collecting garden waste in the current circumstances? Words fail me.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Ive just ripped up some decking...i read someone said it was a load of crap and i should have laid a patio ...so ive lit a bonfire to get rid of it but some guy three doors down is going bananas ...i was only following the advice i saw on here :whistle:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
So we’re confined to being at home, the only bright spot is being able to sit in the garden in the sun.......until some **** decides to flood the area with acrid smoke from their garden-clean up bonfire.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
So we’re confined to being at home, the only bright spot is being able to sit in the garden in the sun.......until some **** decides to flood the area with acrid smoke from their garden-clean up bonfire.

Burn them!

Oh.???

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I can't believe that two local residents in Hove, who live a few doors away from me and are both doctors, have just lit a bloody bonfire in their garden. The stench can only be described as appalling. It beggars belief that anyone would do this at a time when people who have the virus and/or are self isolating, and often have difficulties breathing, are recommended to have their windows open for fresh air. The selfishness of some folk never ceases to amaze me but I would have expected better of two health professionals, especially at the moment. Rant over.

image.jpg

Just seen this on B & H City Council Twitter page.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
View attachment 122144

Just seen this on B & H City Council Twitter page.

Thanks for that. I hadn't seen it. I'm aiming to post my neighbours a copy tomorrow morning. Hopefully this will deter them from having any further bonfires, at least for as long as the current crisis is ongoing. I still find it bizarre that two individuals who claim to be doctors should have acted in such a selfish, inconsiderate way.

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
Lots of bonfires going on in the more rural parts of Sussex (where they are also banned, in theory); I see quite a few out on walks - but then they are usually quite some distance from houses. Large increase in fly tipping too - the closure of the tips is having these effects.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here