Jul 6, 2003
300px-Blockbusters_bob_foldedarms.jpg

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
RI..and a P, please Bob.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Suffered a bad reaction to a dodgy E apparently.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Minute's silence tomorrow?

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
That theme tune is genuinely ICONIC :clap:

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
A terrible loss to the whole Urban Myths arena....!

From Wiki:

Holness was the subject of an urban myth, claimed to have been initiated in the 1980s by broadcaster Stuart Maconie who, while writing for the New Musical Express (in a section called 'Would You Believe It?'), claimed that Holness played the saxophone solo on Gerry Rafferty's 1978 song "Baker Street". Tommy Boyd, among others, has disputed Maconie's claim to authorship of the rumour. The actual performer was Raphael Ravenscroft.
The story clearly appealed to Holness' sense of humour as he has often played along with the myth, and has also at various times jokingly claimed to be the lead guitarist on Derek and the Dominoes' "Layla" and the mysterious individual putting Elvis Presley off his stride on the famous 'laughing' version of "Are You Lonesome Tonight?".
He was recorded confirming the Baker Street story in a 1993 interview on STOIC, Student Television of Imperial College

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Sad. Reminds me of my student days watching Blockbusters with the rest of the house:

<Bob> "What 'C' am I?.."

<House> "YOU'RE A ****, BOB!"

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
He played saxomophone on the very first James Bond novel. FACT(ish)

I have to ask - how do you play a saxomophone on a NOVEL ? Do you just stand on the book ?

*** has a very real feeling that he's made himself look very silly but not sure how ***

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
In 1956 he played James Bond in a radio production of Moonraker. [1] The couple returned to the UK in 1961. His daughter, Ros, was a member of the band Toto Coelo.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Is it actually true this time? Rumours seem to get started on the internet about him dying on an almost weekly basis.

I have to ask - how do you play a saxomophone on a NOVEL ? Do you just stand on the book ?

*** has a very real feeling that he's made himself look very silly but not sure how ***

It's a mixture of half-fact and myth about Bob Holness. He never played saxomophone* on Gerry Rafferty's Baker Street. Stuart Maconie made that up in NME once. He did play the very first James Bond - on radio obviously, not in a novel.

* (C) Homer Simpson.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here