Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bob Dylan Cover Versions

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Edit - A bit disrespectful but every Dylan song I've ever heard has sounded better sung by someone else.

I have to strongly disagree with this statement, I know it is all personal taste but by way of a challenge can you find me a version of Like A Rolling Stone or Desoalation Row or Absolutely Sweet Marie or I Want You that is better?

Also, maybe it's because I was around to hear all these songs when they were fresh rather than classics but most of the songs on this thread are not a patch on the original version by Dylan. Some notable exceptions obviously but UB40 and Olivia Newton John, for example, really?

Really enjoying this thread btw and some of the covers I haven't heard before are interesting, if not better, just IMO.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
I have to strongly disagree with this statement, I know it is all personal taste but by way of a challenge can you find me a version of Like A Rolling Stone or Desoalation Row or Absolutely Sweet Marie or I Want You that is better?

Also, maybe it's because I was around to hear all these songs when they were fresh rather than classics but most of the songs on this thread are not a patch on the original version by Dylan. Some notable exceptions obviously but UB40 and Olivia Newton John, for example, really?

Really enjoying this thread btw and some of the covers I haven't heard before are interesting, if not better, just IMO.

In general I would agree. Dylan's versions are usually the best versions. Here is Sam Cooke, one of the greatest singers who ever lived. He was a fan of Dylan and was inspired to write 'A Change is Gonna Come' by Dylan's example. He sings the hell out of this cover, but for some reason, I would still take Dylan's version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CC9FUELvl6A

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006

I think it all comes down to personal preference. I guess I don't much like Dylan's voice.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I saw Dylan live once. It was appalling and the only moment of the gig which was entertaining was when a guy in front of me consumed the biggest line of Charlie I've ever seen. I was incredulous at the size, but also curious why one would want to take such a drug at a Dylan gig. Fair play to the fella though.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
I saw Dylan live once. It was appalling and the only moment of the gig which was entertaining was when a guy in front of me consumed the biggest line of Charlie I've ever seen. I was incredulous at the size, but also curious why one would want to take such a drug at a Dylan gig. Fair play to the fella though.

I saw Dylan live at Wembley Arena in '79 and it was a superb gig.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here