Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Humour] BOAT Brighton Open Air Theatre

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Fabulous comedy evening at the Brighton Open Air Theatre tonight.

Didn’t even know this place existed but it is superb venue

Saw Angela Barnes who was superb as usual and Mark Steele ( well known Palace fan) who did an excellent set …his son was the MC

lovely weather and beautiful sunset. 3A4E3108-CB2E-4D68-AFA9-27EAFD700B4A.jpeg

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill

Saw Angela Barnes who was superb as usual and Mark Steele ( well known Palace fan) who did an excellent set …his son was the MC

lovely weather and beautiful sunset.View attachment 149682

I came down from London last Friday to see Pinter's 'One man, two guvnor's' - fabulous venue, great acting (with a Brighton twist..) - My family who still live in Brighton didn't know it existed.. Make an effort NSC, well worth a night out. :thumbsup:

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Going tomorrow to see Zoe Lyons and Jen Brister (who I think is great). Can you still bring in your own food and booze?

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I came down from London last Friday to see Pinter's 'One man, two guvnor's' - fabulous venue, great acting (with a Brighton twist..) - My family who still live in Brighton didn't know it existed.. Make an effort NSC, well worth a night out. :thumbsup:

That really surprised me but then I only live five minutes' walk away. Failure of promotion by the management, no doubt, but it's a great venue. And the Dyke Road Park cafe is much improved too.

Bombardier

NSC Patron
Jul 22, 2004
Hove actually
Going tomorrow to see Zoe Lyons and Jen Brister (who I think is great). Can you still bring in your own food and booze?
Yup, bring what you like. Food, drink and it makes no odds to the people in charge although there is a bar. Turned up a while ago with pizzas and a few tins for the Mrs but the problem was we were late and got absolutely annihilated by the comedian. The moral of the story is turn up in time armed with a pub full of beer and a restaurant full of food but woe betide being late. Wonderful location when the weather is like this ����

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
It’s a lovely venue. I’ve been many times. I, among many others supported the founding of it but all the credit must go to Adrian Bunting and his close friends.

It’s at once both a sad and happy story;

In April 2013 Brighton playwright and construction manager, Adrian Bunting, was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. He died in May 2013, aged 47. In his final days Adrian threw his efforts into realising a long held ambition; the creation of a permanent open-air theatre for the city he loved. Adrian identified the perfect site, the redundant bowling green in Dyke Road Park, drew up designs and left his life savings of £18,000 to kick-start the project. Shortly before he passed away he asked four friends – Steve Turner, Claire Rafferty, James Payne and Donna Close – if they would see his dream through. Steve, Claire, James and Donna became BOAT’s founding Trustees.

Working with supporters and partners, Adrian’s friends negotiated the design and planning process, established Brighton Open Air Theatre as a charity and ensured an additional £100,000 was raised through stand-up comedy benefits, an art auction and many hugely generous individual donations. In October 2014 planning permission was granted. Construction began in January 2015.

BOAT was formally opened by Adrian’s Mother; Isobelle Bunting, on the 9th May 2015, almost two years to the day after Adrian passed away.

His obituary is an interesting read for Brightonians.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/uk/2013/may/20/adrian-bunting-obituary

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Yeah, went to see 'Julius Caesar' there a year or so ago. (Done in Reservoir Dogs style). It had been a lovely sunny day but it had clouded over and there was the odd rumble of thunder. The play yabbers on about 'foul weather' and 'storms' and everybody, cast and audience, are half-smiling to each other as we have an inkling what's coming. Sure enough, before the end of the first act the the thunder intensified, the lightening flashed, the heavens opened and we all got absolutely drenched. They called it off in the interval. It was spectacular though watching Caesar's murder in a thunderstorm!

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Sure enough, before the end of the first act the the thunder intensified, the lightening flashed, the heavens opened and we all got absolutely drenched. They called it off in the interval. It was spectacular though watching Caesar's murder in a thunderstorm!

They should have been made of sterner stuff. I saw Romeo and Juliet there a couple of years ago - it chucked it down from the first act and the cast just carried on. The audience were soaked through but it was thoroughly enjoyable.

I saw The Tempest at the Globe about 20 years - there was a terrific thunderstorm just after the play started: it couldn't have been timed better

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
They should have been made of sterner stuff. I saw Romeo and Juliet there a couple of years ago - it chucked it down from the first act and the cast just carried on. The audience were soaked through but it was thoroughly enjoyable.

I saw The Tempest at the Globe about 20 years - there was a terrific thunderstorm just after the play started: it couldn't have been timed better
Ah there you go, a more primitive era when people didn't know any better. Apparently it was called off because of the lightning rather than the rain. Health and Safety.

Igzilla

Sep 27, 2012
Worthing

lovely weather and beautiful sunset.View attachment 149682

I was sitting along the row to your right with my family. We had a thoroughly good time. We brought a small picnic and a bottle of wine. Forgot to bring cushions, though.

We love BOAT and go numerous time every year. My son does a show there every year with his Youth Theatre group. We have had times where it's chucked it down, but as long as you've checked the forecast and dressed appropriately, there's no problem.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I recently went to see A Midsummers Night Dream there a throughly entertaining evening and I agree it is a terrific venue, highly recommended.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
BOAT = Bit Off A Tractor.

If you know you know.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
I went to some of the funding gigs before it started and used to go a lot in the early years. Less so now as in all honesty prices have jumped a bit high imho (for shows that sound interesting but not essential £20+ is too steep to entice me and other friends tbf). But I must recommend it, superb little venue even when the weather isn't brilliant. Watch your footing though, I've been twice when the show was delayed by people falling in the moat!

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home

Definitely and also bring cushions! You sit on railway sleepers

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Textbook facepalm from the bloke in the Albion shirt. Was that the OP ?

Actually I think he was partially sighted disabled chap. Mark made a comment about him when he got up and left very near the end.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials

Excellent work. :clap2:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here