Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bmw Z3.......Has anyone got one?

byf

Sep 26, 2003
Bournemouth
In preperation for moving back to sussex........I thought I'd treat myself to a new car.....(second hand...but you know what I mean)

Im looking at the 1997-2003 Bmw 1.9 roadster.

Has anyone got one or had one?

Any sort of review would be appreciated.

Cheers.

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
My friend had one. Very unreliable apparently.

That's all I can offer I'm afraid.

byf

Sep 26, 2003
Bournemouth
Is your penis that small? Save the planet, get a bicycle and combine this with public transport.

:thumbsup:

:lolol:

My penis size is not my reason for wanting to buy the car....:laugh:

No way am I going to be stood at a bus stop in december!

gullshark

Dec 5, 2005
Worthing
But you'll have a rear wheel drive soft top...

the 1.9 is a shit engine, either buy one with a proper engine or not at all. The Honda S2000 and Mazda MX-5 are better bets.

byf

Sep 26, 2003
Bournemouth
But you'll have a rear wheel drive soft top...

the 1.9 is a shit engine, either buy one with a proper engine or not at all. The Honda S2000 and Mazda MX-5 are better bets.

What did it drive like?

gullshark

Dec 5, 2005
Worthing
Did what? the Z3?

It's not that comfortable unless you're driving on billiard table smooth tarmac, the version I drove was the 2.8 6 cylinder version which is a lovely engine - all the better with the roof down. I just think it would be a waste with the 1.9 sewing machine in it (just had a look, at it appears some versions of the 1.9 had only 115hp!)

byf

Sep 26, 2003
Bournemouth
Did what? the Z3?

It's not that comfortable unless you're driving on billiard table smooth tarmac, the version I drove was the 2.8 6 cylinder version which is a lovely engine - all the better with the roof down. I just think it would be a waste with the 1.9 sewing machine in it (just had a look, at it appears some versions of the 1.9 had only 115hp!)

Im test driving one a couple of hours. I believe his is 140 bhp....X reg 00-2001

Imnot looking for something rapid to be honest, as Im not a speed freak....just want something sporty and nippy as most of my driving will be from lancing to brighton.

I think Im best road testing all the small sports style cars as the mazda Mx 5....the honda s2000 and the beemer to see which one suits what im after.

Ive read a lot of reviews on the net and they all seem positive....one draw back seems to be the lack of power...but as I said...aslong as itsnippy..that should be fine...bang the top down.........cruise the downs...nice!

Jul 7, 2003
Bolton
It is a fun car to drive - very fast - but if you can I would try and get the extra hard top version as well - the car is unbelievably cold in the winter and the heaters take a while to kick in.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
I've no idea what the car is like, but I can safely predict that if you drive one people will think you are a twat. You can avoid this problem by buying an S2000.

byf

Sep 26, 2003
Bournemouth
I've no idea what the car is like, but I can safely predict that if you drive one people will think you are a twat. You can avoid this problem by buying an S2000.

I couldnt care what people will think to be honest mate...as people will judge whatever is bought and Im buying it for me ..and come may when the top is down and ive got someone next to me in there boring hatchback....I know what i'd rather be in.

The only problem is...ive looked at the S2000 and its quite pricey.....I have a budget and as much as I want something nice.....I dont think I can stretch to what the S2000's are going for, as you could just keep spending couldnt you and go for the Porche boxster and why stop there....carry on spending and go for the 911.....it could in theory never end as whatever you buy, theres always better out there....

Stumpy Tim

I had one 10 years ago and really liked it. Bit old-hat now though really. I would suggest going for the Z4. The new Mazda's are nice, but the old ones were crap. So if you're looking at a sports car from a decade ago I would go for the Z3

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
I couldnt care what people will think to be honest mate...as people will judge whatever is bought and Im buying it for me ..and come may when the top is down and ive got someone next to me in there boring hatchback....I know what i'd rather be in.

The only problem is...ive looked at the S2000 and its quite pricey.....I have a budget and as much as I want something nice.....I dont think I can stretch to what the S2000's are going for, as you could just keep spending couldnt you and go for the Porche boxster and why stop there....carry on spending and go for the 911.....it could in theory never end as whatever you buy, theres always better out there....
why not try the convertible nissan 350z, a hell of a lot of car for the money ?

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
I would not buy any sports car with a plastic back window, just so 1960s. Looked at loads of sports cars a while ago at the BMW dealer all the Z3 were steamed up inside so probably not that waterproof.

I settled on the MX5. Sounds perfect for what you want, civilised, well sorted, smooth ride over bumpy roads and hold their value relatively well.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Don't know how much you want to spend but what about a Boxter ? Quite good ones come in at well less than 10k and Mecedes SLKs even less. Both far better than a Z3.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here