Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bloom looking to sell (rumour)

Brighton TID

Jul 24, 2005
Horsham
Relax folks, we're just doing a bit of stock keeping. We'll be ready to reopen this project in January.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
:lol: are you new to the Albion or something? And do you actually believe there were 24k people there yesterday not 18/19k? Also, why is it unlikely that we will get relegated, is it the talented squad, free scoring strikers, experienced manager, huge transfer budget?

Yep. I think we can all agree crowds will fluctuate depending on form. And agreed. In this division then its no guarantee that teams will stay up.
I just think the implication that the majority of the fans at the Amex aren't loyal, hardcore, and just there for the comfy seats and the wins and can't wait to pack it in and that our core fan base is a mere 10K or even less some sort of misguided self-fulfillment and pure speculation.

PS: As for yesterday. I'm curious. If the real attendance yesterday was 18K as you seem to know, then nearly a third of season ticket holders didn't turn up. A third ? (I'm assuming that if you bought a single ticket then almost all of them will have been there). The club don't make these numbers public so its a complete guess isn't it.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Yep. I think we can all agree crowds will fluctuate depending on form. And agreed. In this division then its no guarantee that teams will stay up.
I just think the implication that the majority of the fans at the Amex aren't loyal, hardcore, and just there for the comfy seats and the wins and can't wait to pack it in and that our core fan base is a mere 10K or even less some sort of misguided self-fulfillment and pure speculation.

PS: As for yesterday. I'm curious. If the real attendance yesterday was 18K as you seem to know, then nearly a third of season ticket holders didn't turn up. A third ? (I'm assuming that if you bought a single ticket then almost all of them will have been there). The club don't make these numbers public so its a complete guess isn't it.

Nice attempt to patronise me, but you'll notice I estimated the attendance at around the 18/19k mark, at no point did I claim this as a fact :thumbsup:
I really do believe you're over estimating the loyalty that can be afforded by fans these days, there are many parent and child season ticket holders at the Amex, when renewal time comes around and that parent is facing a £6-700 bill for league one football or extending their £60 per month DD I would not be surprised to see a large down turn in sales. The attendance is falling week by week, We have season ticket holders that are staying away because of the poor football, poor service and increasing costs of everything inside the stadium. As ticket availability increases the necessity of a season ticket reduces, people can pick and choose games, it might sound fickle but if it saves money people will adopt this attitude.

Ps. I take no pleasure in seeing team in apparent disarray, so to suggest my thoughts are mis-guided and self fulfilling is pointless and churlish. I will however say, I will never let my love for the club cloud my opinion on how things are going, to bury ones in the head sand is never the solution.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005

Actual people through the turnstile yesterday was about 19,500 as reported by a steward in another thread.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
So why do you still go ?

Because I'm a Brighton fan, not necessarily the most hard core, but a Brighton fan none the less. I've always followed the Albion which is more than can be said for a lot of the crowd, this isn't to say I'm an uber fan but we all know we didn't suddenly arrive at 29k crowds without attracting new fans and drawing the interest of locals that might support *other teams*. They will be the first to go, many already have/are. I don't think we should under estimate how many of these fans were regulars for the last 3 seasons.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
19,423 in the ground yesterday, according to someone who is likely to know - 19,423 supporters went through turnstiles today.

I think over the Amex era, the Albion have averaged around 10-12% no-shows. This is higher than most Championship clubs, but we have considerably more season ticket holders than most other Championship clubs. It stands to reason that more ST holders will no-show than those who have bought a ticket for a specific match.

If yesterday was up to 20% no-shows, which a crowd of 19,423 suggests, then that will be ringing serious alarm bells within the boardroom because, even allowing for the fact that it's half-term week, that is a lot of people who didn't bother coming along. Those using the trains yesterday also reported that it all felt a but quieter than normal too.

Those using concourse catering yesterday also report that things were considerably less busy than is normally the case which further suggests that as well as those voting with their feet, those at the ground were voting with their wallets. Concerning.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
How on earth are we going to end up with 10K crowds ? If we are relegated, still unlikely, then season ticket sales (presumably kept frozen or reduced) are really going to fall by 60% ??

10-15k depending on where we sit in L1 would be my guess. Who would want to renew knowing that the team is just so poor you would simply pick your games

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
'Return on investment?! Does anyone put money into a football club looking for a return on investment?
Despite massive increases in PL revenues by hundreds of millions of pounds in 2012/2013 PL clubs lost over £300m in total and the average revenue/ wages ratio in the Championship was 106% so I think that gives the lie to anyone thinking they will get much of a return for investing in a football club!!

Don't worry, my 'return on investment' comment was purely tongue in cheek.:lol:

No one in their right mind would expect to make money from football, unless they have cynical non footballing motives - looking to asset strip a club of it's land (something Albion fans are all too familiar with) or maybe like the Glazers using the Clubs finances as a vehicle to oil the wheels in other areas of their business activities.

Fans and successful business people like Tony Bloom are in a position to make an 'emotional investment' in the club, knowing that they will not see a full return on their financial input. Success in their other business activities enable them to indulge their hobbies. Long may that continue.

However it is understandable that Tony would look for other investors and sponsors to help share that burden. Especially having narrowly missed out on the financial windfall that Prem football could have given us.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
Um this wasn't that long ago. We were in League 1, planning permission had been granted, Don't you remember?

Poyet an architect and civil engineer, you're having a bigger laugh and all this while he was managing a promotion team, the guys a superhero. Perhaps he should have concentrated on keeping Glen Murray and not buying Ryan Harley etc. Poyet had nothing to do with the design of the stadium!

matbha

Apr 13, 2014
:lol: are you new to the Albion or something? And do you actually believe there were 24k people there yesterday not 18/19k? Also, why is it unlikely that we will get relegated, is it the talented squad, free scoring strikers, experienced manager, huge transfer budget?
Season ticket prices reduced? :lol: not a chance. We have a solid fan base of 9-10k I reckon, you'll be hard pushed to find folk that want to spend £450 a year to watch league one hoof ball.

To be fair 6-7 thousand of us sat out in the rain a withdean , for not much less:rolleyes:

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
19,423 in the ground yesterday, according to someone who is likely to know - 19,423 supporters went through turnstiles today.

I think over the Amex era, the Albion have averaged around 10-12% no-shows. This is higher than most Championship clubs, but we have considerably more season ticket holders than most other Championship clubs. It stands to reason that more ST holders will no-show than those who have bought a ticket for a specific match.

If yesterday was up to 20% no-shows, which a crowd of 19,423 suggests, then that will be ringing serious alarm bells within the boardroom because, even allowing for the fact that it's half-term week, that is a lot of people who didn't bother coming along. Those using the trains yesterday also reported that it all felt a but quieter than normal too.

Those using concourse catering yesterday also report that things were considerably less busy than is normally the case which further suggests that as well as those voting with their feet, those at the ground were voting with their wallets. Concerning.

The trouble is with what's being served up on the pitch at the moment it's easy to look for excuses not to go.

brighton bluenose

Jan 6, 2006
Nicollet & 66th
Season ticket prices reduced? :lol: not a chance. We have a solid fan base of 9-10k I reckon, you'll be hard pushed to find folk that want to spend £450 a year to watch league one hoof ball.

So you think the Amex was less than two thirds full?! I sit in the LW so couldn't see the upper levels of the west but find that a tad difficult to believe.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
To be fair you can imagine the timeline in the household family budget discussion:

I need to help the club and Dick Knight out, I'm going to underwrite the stadium cost but they're sure they've got the finances sorted

Oops, sorry about that, we need to lend the club £80m, but I'll take over as Chairman so we get better seats.

This is costing a little more than we thought so it's now £100m, and the playing staff is weak, we can't risk all this money and not bring in some big names

These players are more expensive than we thought and the ongoing legal battles pushed this up to around £140m

Of course they need a new training ground, I'm sure I told you about that £160m

We've lost money again this year but only £16m so not as bad as we'd thought, £176m

I'm sure I mentioned the other loan, yes, about £200m now ....

SELL IT

OK dear, I'm on it!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here