Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Bit keen but... what positions make Europe?

Elbow750

Jun 21, 2020
Didn't Burnley nearly get relegated the season they played in Europe? Like the extra games put a lot of pressure on the squad.

Or am I imagining that?

You're right. Burnley really struggled with all the extra games and pressure on their squad. If we did qualify Tony might have to take a hit on some sales like Biss? I couldn't contemplate us being in Europe without him in our squad. But hopefully he'd be happy signing a new contract with us (will cost Tony in his wages though) and playing in Europe in the stripes :lol:

chrisg

Apr 9, 2012
Finishing 7th and entering the Mickey Mouse Conference Europa league and playing teams who finished 7th or so if their respective leagues doesn’t fill me with excitement- it starts mid July and will put massive pressure on the PL season squad.
Rotation definitely, like Spurs did, who exited very quickly and not bothered.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Not always will the top 4 get CL qualification, if PL clubs hold the titles for Champions league and Europa league, and both those clubs finish outside the top 4 in the Premier League, only the top 3 and the two clubs holding titles will qualify for CL, 4th would go into the Europa League.

This year, 5th place would qualify for Europa League, unless 5th is Chelsea, who as holders of the CL title would play in the CL with the clubs finishing in the top 4.
Winner of the FA cup qualifies for Europa league, unless they are otherwise qualified for Champions League, or Europa League, in which case their spot would go to whoever finishes 6th, unless 6th is Chelsea, in which case it would go to 7th..

Are you saying that Chelsea have automatically qualified for next seasons CL because they won last seasons CL?

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Finishing 7th and entering the Mickey Mouse Conference Europa league and playing teams who finished 7th or so if their respective leagues doesn’t fill me with excitement- it starts mid July and will put massive pressure on the PL season squad.
Rotation definitely, like Spurs did, who exited very quickly and not bothered.

Spurs would most probably still be in it if they hadn't cancelled a game in December because of covid

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Isn't there that other competition as well?

Yes but we can only have a maximum of 7 teams in Europe, so in the scenario mentioned we would have 5 teams in the CL and 2 in the Europa League, we'd forfeit our place in the Conference League. Spain had to do the same this season as Villareal won the Europa League giving them 5 teams in the Champions League.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
To be honest I'm just thrilled we're going to finish above Palace. But interested to see if we can aim for Europe

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Steady.

The only time we've finished above Palace in the last 30+ years they managed to beat us in the playoffs and get promoted.

If we do it again this year and finish seventh you just know they'll win the Cup and take the European spot.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Not always will the top 4 get CL qualification, if PL clubs hold the titles for Champions league and Europa league, and both those clubs finish outside the top 4 in the Premier League, only the top 3 and the two clubs holding titles will qualify for CL, 4th would go into the Europa League.

This year, 5th place would qualify for Europa League, unless 5th is Chelsea, who as holders of the CL title would play in the CL with the clubs finishing in the top 4.
Winner of the FA cup qualifies for Europa league, unless they are otherwise qualified for Champions League, or Europa League, in which case their spot would go to whoever finishes 6th, unless 6th is Chelsea, in which case it would go to 7th.

Winner of Caraboa cup qualifies for Europa Conference League, except that will be Liverpool or Chelsea this year, so that spot will probably go to 7th

So most likely;
top 4 Champions League
5th Europa League
6th - Europa League because the FA Cup Winner is probably in the top 5
7th - Europa Conference because the League Cup winner is probably in the top 5/6

The only unlikely but not unthinkable possible wrinkle this season is if the FA cup is won by a side outside the top 5, in which case 6th would get the Conference spot, and 7th nothing.

If somehow Chelsea were to finish 5th though, and the cups both go to top 5 teams, I think we end up with 6th and 7th as Europa League spots and 8th is Europa conference. But I am not sure.

Is the correct answer.

Important thing to remember is that whatever happens we'd have to finish at least 7th to qualify.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Yes but we can only have a maximum of 7 teams in Europe, so in the scenario mentioned we would have 5 teams in the CL and 2 in the Europa League, we'd forfeit our place in the Conference League. Spain had to do the same this season as Villareal won the Europa League giving them 5 teams in the Champions League.

I am not sure that maximum of 7 is still true for every eventuality, as far as I can tell, 9 is theoretically possible.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
I am not sure that maximum of 7 is still true for every eventuality, as far as I can tell, 9 is theoretically possible.

It's definitely a maximum of seven teams.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
This site explains all: https://www.premierleague.com/european-qualification-explained

Crucially as other posters pointed out, there can only be 7 places; if we get 5 CL places, the 7th place is Europa League and we have no Europa Conference place.

Dont the last two paragraphs from that page contradict the 7 limit?

If a Premier League club win the UEFA Champions League and another win the UEFA Europa League and neither have qualified for UEFA competitions through their league positions or by winning the FA Cup or EFL Cup, they will qualify for the UEFA Champions League and the club finishing fourth in the table will drop into the UEFA Europa League group stage.

This UEFA Europa League group stage place will be in addition to the one for the club finishing fifth and to the places in the UEFA Europa League and UEFA Europa Conference League for the FA Cup and EFL Cup winners (or for the highest-ranked clubs not qualified for UEFA competitions in the Premier League if the FA Cup and EFL Cup winners have already qualified for UEFA competitions through their league position).

To me, that says that 5 could go to CL, top 3 plus title holders, but in that case 4th would get 1 Europa League spot, in addition to the 2 spots available for finishing 5th and winning the FA Cup and the 1 Europa conference League place for League cup winners.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here