Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Bit keen but... what positions make Europe?

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Second line of the first para here - maximum of seven teams can qualify:

https://www.premierleague.com/european-qualification-explained

Thanks, I have read that page but must have skimmed that.
The same page though gives an explanation of what would happen if two PL clubs hold Uefa titles, and finish outside the top 4 as I have posted above, and that suggests that extra places would open up. It certainly seems unfair that the League cup winner could potentially miss out on European competition because the Champions League Title holders were not quite so good this season and finished outside the top 4

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Can anyone suggest a hotel in Budapest? One within walking distance of the Puskas Arena would be great.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
The maximum is 7. Is says so here in an article from the PL.

https://www.premierleague.com/european-qualification-explained

Edit - I see someone else has already posted the above

Yeah thanks, someone else has pointed that page out to me, but the last 2 paragraphs on that page set out a scenario that has 9 teams qualifying for UEFA comps, despite what it says at the top. I know the rules have changed since Liverpool got a place even though the rules at the time didn't allow for it, and Tottenham got shunted into the Europa League despite finishing 4th, so who knows what UEFA would actually do if it came to a situation where the 2 UEFA Title holders didn't win a cup and finished outside of league qualifying places..

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Can anyone suggest a hotel in Budapest? One within walking distance of the Puskas Arena would be great.

IF Smith had scored, we would have played Dukla Prague in the first round of the ECWC in 1983/4*. What a great trip that would've been.

And I could have bought a Dukla Prague away kit.

*Assuming the draw was the same as Man Ure's!

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Yeah thanks, someone else has pointed that page out to me, but the last 2 paragraphs on that page set out a scenario that has 9 teams qualifying for UEFA comps, despite what it says at the top. I know the rules have changed since Liverpool got a place even though the rules at the time didn't allow for it, and Tottenham got shunted into the Europa League despite finishing 4th, so who knows what UEFA would actually do if it came to a situation where the 2 UEFA Title holders didn't win a cup and finished outside of league qualifying places..

Yeah I've read the link further now and it does seem possible that we could have 9 teams in Europe, in the very very unlikely event that the CL winners and the Europa League winners both came from this country and failed to qualify for Europe via another method. That is the only way extra places could be created, any other way would see us having to give up our place in the Conference League as Spain had to do this year (Villareal qualified for Europe through league position but then got a CL spot through winning the Europa League so took that instead, the Conference League spot did not transfer down to the next best side to not qualify)

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Yeah I've read the link further now and it does seem possible that we could have 9 teams in Europe, in the very very unlikely event that the CL winners and the Europa League winners both came from this country and failed to qualify for Europe via another method. That is the only way extra places could be created, any other way would see us having to give up our place in the Conference League as Spain had to do this year (Villareal qualified for Europe through league position but then got a CL spot so took that instead, the Conference League spot did not transfer down to the next best side to not qualify)

It's quite clear though that the maximum number of English teams allowed to play in UEFA competitions is seven. So some clubs would miss out despite the fact they'd normally qualify.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
It's quite clear though that the maximum number is seven. So some clubs would miss out despite the fact they'd normally qualify.

But as [MENTION=23343]Baldseagull[/MENTION] says the bottom paragraph clearly states there would be an extra EL place for the side finishing 4, this would be in addition to the normal ones but only applies if the CL and EL winners failed to qualify through normal methods. Granted the article ends up contradicting itself, but the scenario where the additional place would be awarded is almost certain to never happen.

If a Premier League club win the UEFA Champions League and another win the UEFA Europa League and neither have qualified for UEFA competitions through their league positions or by winning the FA Cup or EFL Cup, they will qualify for the UEFA Champions League and the club finishing fourth in the table will drop into the UEFA Europa League group stage.

This UEFA Europa League group stage place will be in addition to the one for the club finishing fifth and to the places in the UEFA Europa League and UEFA Europa Conference League for the FA Cup and EFL Cup winners (or for the highest-ranked clubs not qualified for UEFA competitions in the Premier League if the FA Cup and EFL Cup winners have already qualified for UEFA competitions through their league position).

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Yeah I've read the link further now and it does seem possible that we could have 9 teams in Europe, in the very very unlikely event that the CL winners and the Europa League winners both came from this country and failed to qualify for Europe via another method. That is the only way extra places could be created, any other way would see us having to give up our place in the Conference League as Spain had to do this year (Villareal qualified for Europe through league position but then got a CL spot through winning the Europa League so took that instead, the Conference League spot did not transfer down to the next best side to not qualify)

There is a more likely scenario that is not clear what would happen, If the FA cup and League cup are won by teams outside the top 5 places, and the holders of one of the UEFA titles is outside of any other qualification route, does the 5th placed team lose their Europa spot, or the FA cup winner lose their Europa spot, or the League cup winner lose their Europa conference spot, or do we have 8 teams in UEFA comps?

GREASED WEASEL

Dec 10, 2017
IF Smith had scored, we would have played Dukla Prague in the first round of the ECWC in 1983/4*. What a great trip that would've been.

And I could have bought a Dukla Prague away kit.

and there's more

Man Utd went on to play Barcelona & Juventus!

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
and there's more

Man Utd went on to play Barcelona & Juventus!

Yes, just looked it up.

If we went back in time and removed the invisible string that was obviously tying Gordon Smith's legs together in the last minute of extra time, our route to winning the 1984 European Cup Winners Cup would have been to beat Dukla Prague, Spartak Varna (Bulgaria, in case you are wondering), Barcelona and Juventus - and then Porto in the final in Basel (1-0, Robinson 90+10).

GREASED WEASEL

Dec 10, 2017
Yes, just looked it up.

If we went back in time and removed the invisible string that was obviously tying Gordon Smith's legs together in the last minute of extra time, our route to winning the 1984 European Cup Winners Cup would have been to beat Dukla Prague, Spartak Varna (Bulgaria, in case you are wondering), Barcelona and Juventus - and then Porto in the final in Basel (1-0, Robinson 90+10).

We were robbed!

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
One game at a time and all that, but what positions qualify for Europe places this season?

Champions League top 4 but what about the rest please?

I think 16th is our target at the moment. So not a relevant question!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here