[Albion] Bissouma Outrageous

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales
Our own Seagulls Player extended highlights didn't even bother to show it, shame as it was pure class from Bissuoma.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Ha ha good spot. The usual anti-Stephens nonsense by the various experts on here is tiresome so it's good to expose their prejudice. Those who understand the game can see the value that he brings to the side. Back to the original subject it was one of Bissouma's better games and showed his potential. If he can align better decision making alongside his obvious natural talent then he will have a decent future.

Sent from my 5039D_EEA using Tapatalk

I'm not taking a position for or against any players but I always think pass completion rate stats are unreliable. I could have a decent pass completion rate if I only ever knocked it 5 yards backwards, (not saying Stephens does for the sake of clarity!).

With some positions, stats are useful, save percentage for example, but for others I think you need to trust your eyes rather than what opta say.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Our own Seagulls Player extended highlights didn't even bother to show it, shame as it was pure class from Bissuoma.

What!

Surely part of what that free highlights package is there for is to build and expand brand Brighton. You want it to be a fair reflection of the game, but you don't want it to leave out our best bits either

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
I'm not taking a position for or against any players but I always think pass completion rate stats are unreliable. I could have a decent pass completion rate if I only ever knocked it 5 yards backwards, (not saying Stephens does for the sake of clarity!).

With some positions, stats are useful, save percentage for example, but for others I think you need to trust your eyes rather than what opta say.

Especially when we're comparing almost 50 passes to 9. FFS.

samtheseagull

Sep 15, 2010
For me Stephens has to come back in for the Chelsea game. Pretty sure Potter will also see it that way. The chelsea counter attacking against Arsenal was scary at times, not sure we cant have a sitting midfielder for that game. Tough choice who to drop tho. Quite funny how a thread about praising an Albion player on here quickly turns to Dale bashing.

samtheseagull

Sep 15, 2010

Yes thats a vaild point. Potter himself said all the midfielders offer something different. Not sure how anyone can even compare Biss and Stepehns. Completely different midfielders that both offer different things to the team.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
For me Stephens has to come back in for the Chelsea game. Pretty sure Potter will also see it that way. The chelsea counter attacking against Arsenal was scary at times, not sure we cant have a sitting midfielder for that game. Tough choice who to drop tho. Quite funny how a thread about praising an Albion player on here quickly turns to Dale bashing.

I’m not sure it is so clear cut. DS is often crucial to our game because of his ability to create space and break up the opposition’s play. However Bissouma did all of this on Saturday in his most disciplined performance since joining the club. You could see by both his and Potter’s reactions when he came off that it was job done. We now have two quality candidates for the defensive midfield position.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo

I'm torn on this. My head says we absolutely need Stephens back for the Chelsea game but there's also a part of me that thinks we need to see Bissouma against Chelsea. For me he's always been an excellent player when we are on top and against weaker opposition. Against the best teams when we're up against it I've found him to be a weaker link due to his positional play and decision making. However, he's shown much better positional sense and discipline the last couple of games he's played. He's earning the opportunity to play more and there's going to come a time when we'll have to play him against the best teams so why not now when his confidence is high, he's in form and Stephens isn't?

If he can perform against Chelsea like he did against Palace and Bournemouth then we're going to have a real player on our hands rather than just flashes of potential.

samtheseagull

Sep 15, 2010
I’m not sure it is so clear cut. DS is often crucial to our game because of his ability to create space and break up the opposition’s play. However Bissouma did all of this on Saturday in his most disciplined performance since joining the club. You could see by both his and Potter’s reactions when he came off that it was job done. We now have two quality candidates for the defensive midfield position.

Not for me, first half Bournemouth actually looked quite dangerous attacking our box(and they were pretty awful). We didn't add much cover for the defence. I love Bissouma but when he drives forward on one of his mazy runs it left us exposed at the back as Propper was not always covering. Great options for Potter to have tho, all the midfidlers are so different.

samtheseagull

Sep 15, 2010
I'm torn on this. My head says we absolutely need Stephens back for the Chelsea game but there's also a part of me that thinks we need to see Bissouma against Chelsea. For me he's always been an excellent player when we are on top and against weaker opposition. Against the best teams when we're up against it I've found him to be a weaker link due to his positional play and decision making. However, he's shown much better positional sense and discipline the last couple of games he's played. He's earning the opportunity to play more and there's going to come a time when we'll have to play him against the best teams so why not now when his confidence is high, he's in form and Stephens isn't?

If he can perform against Chelsea like he did against Palace and Bournemouth then we're going to have a real player on our hands rather than just flashes of potential.

Maybe he will go with Biss, Stephens and one other? Would bissouma work in a more attacking role like the one trossard, Mooy played against Bournemouth? Could be interesting to see him there with that amount of space.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Maybe he will go with Biss, Stephens and one other? Would bissouma work in a more attacking role like the one trossard, Mooy played against Bournemouth? Could be interesting to see him there with that amount of space.

It's possible. Mooy played on both boxing day and the 28th so he could be due a rest but it'd be a big move to drop him. Stephens and Propper both only played one game so I'd guess they're both fairly likely to start. But the trio of Bissouma, Mooy and Propper did do really well against Bournemouth. Admittedly Bournemouth were piss poor but we do need to eventually see if that trio can perform as well against the best teams.

Frankly, it's a conundrum that I'm happy to let Potter sort out.*

* He'll probably end up playing a two man midfield of Alzate and Gross...:smile:

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
It's possible. Mooy played on both boxing day and the 28th so he could be due a rest but it'd be a big move to drop him. Stephens and Propper both only played one game so I'd guess they're both fairly likely to start. But the trio of Bissouma, Mooy and Propper did do really well against Bournemouth. Admittedly Bournemouth were piss poor but we do need to eventually see if that trio can perform as well against the best teams.

* He'll probably end up playing a two man midfield of Alzate and Gross...:smile:

We must play Mooy. I get what you're saying about the number of games, but we've got nothing apart from cup for a week and a half after.

Same team in my view, maybe with pre-planned changes on the hour for those like Mooy who have played all the way through.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away

To me this is it.

I think Bissouma's career hasn't really taken off because he has been viewed as an attacking midfielder to play in front of Stephens.

I think he is best as a predominantly defensive central midfielder. I mean just look at those leggy tackles he seems to make. There's nothing to say he can't stride forward when the opportunity arises, (just like our defenders can). It just means either Propper on the right of him, or Mooy on the left would have to drop to provide cover.

I think we should pick either Stephens or Bissouma as the lone defensive midfielder. At the moment Bissouma is ahead for me, but it will depend on the opposition.

samtheseagull

Sep 15, 2010

I really cant see him not playing Mooy. Like you say its his headache

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
It was a lovely bit of skill. I would personally now start Biss ahead of Dale, but I’ve always felt Dale is a bit of a weak link (hot topic here but I still stand by that).

Of course MOTD gloss over it like they did with Mooys goal. If Aguero or Salah had done that bit of skill we’d never hear the end of it.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
Was he unavailable today at West Ham through injury or just not selected in the 18 man squad?

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
Was he unavailable today at West Ham through injury or just not selected in the 18 man squad?

He’s crap, so probably the latter.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports