Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Birmingham Sack Rooney (02/01/2024)

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Oh dear - going from Fantasy Celeb. Manager madness to a safe pair of hands that have had some success in the past, but not much lately as football has moved on from his strengths.

"When St Andrews is rocking it really is rocking" - not for a while, I don't expect.
Safe pair of hands seems like the right decision to make.
I'd add no one really saw Hughton as much more than a safe pair of hands when appointed.

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
The white dinosaur treadmill continues unabated - Allardyce, Mowbray, Pulis, Phil Brown, Hodgson, Warnock (retired but never say never)....zzzzzzzzzzz
Incidentally Mowbray is 60, a tad younger than some you mention. If you are done at that age there’s a few HR policies and pension plans that will need to be rewritten in this country!

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
Not a fair post. Mowbray has always done alright wherever he has gone.

He is the best that Brum could have got for themselves
If I were a Birmingham fan this appointment would excite me as much a turkey might get just before Christmas though (if it knew what was coming :wink:)

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
If I were a Birmingham fan this appointment would excite me as much a turkey might get just before Christmas though (if it knew what was coming :wink:)
The Birmingham fans I know are very pleased at this appointment, in a similar way to how they were very not pleased when Rooney was appointed! They tend to be a pragmatic, realistic bunch on the whole, the ‘Hollywood’ appointment was always seen by them as a bad fit for the club.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
The Birmingham fans I know are very pleased at this appointment, in a similar way to how they were very not pleased when Rooney was appointed! They tend to be a pragmatic, realistic bunch on the whole, the ‘Hollywood’ appointment was always seen by them as a bad fit for the club.
Being near the relegation zone does help to concentrate the mind re whether you want another Hollywood appointment or someone who just knows what they are doing, but isn't that exciting. It's a but like Palace and Hodgson

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Tony Mowbray was doing a decent job at Sunderland, and had them playing great football, before being very harshly sacked.

Hope he does well.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
"Tone was the standout candidate in our search for a new manager," Blues co-owner and chairman Wagner said. "His knowledge of and passion for the game shone through.

"He shares our ambition and will bring stability at an important time for our great club. We received extremely positive feedback from everyone we spoke to about Tone."

"He is the right leader at the right time for our fantastic football club," chief executive Garry Cook added. "He knows what it takes to be successful at this level.

"Tony has rightfully earned a reputation as a manager who delivers results, likes to play attractive football, and gives young players a chance. This is a tremendously exciting time and appointment for all Blues fans."

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
Fascinating stuff thank you, great to get some actual insight into the situation rather than titbits and generalisations. Personally I wish them well, never had any issue with the club or their fans and I particularly enjoyed their League Cup win over Arsenal.

It's nice to hear about the way Bellingham handled his departure, there's something there that a lot of players could learn from.

If those allegations are true it does explain why Garry Monk has been out of work for so long, even without the alleged dodgy dealings not playing Bellingham is a sackable offense in itself.
Garry Monk at last has a new job - the sleeping giants that are Cambridge United!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here