Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Birmingham City retire #22 shirt

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne
Yup. Ok, if you have someone like Paolo Maldini, a one club man born in the city of his club and making 1000 appearances, I could understand it as well, but it really needs to be exceptional stuff like that or it just gets silly.

So Dunk then?

Invicta

NSC Patron
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
Absolutely! And I'm surprised we didn't. A long-serving club captain, a total inspiration, who lead the club to its greatest success in 40ish years, on his retirement from playing.

Not a bloody kid who has hardly had a game and has been moved on. #tinpot

I personally love seeing a young player moving up the ranks and taking a meaningful shirt like #2 at Brighton. If you kept retiring shirts we'd be watching players in the 300 numbers by now.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Mental isn't it. If he goes on to have a 20 year career at the top of European football and lifts the World Cup for England then fair enough but he's a kid who played some Champ football so far (very well but still).

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I personally love seeing a young player moving up the ranks and taking a meaningful shirt like #2 at Brighton. If you kept retiring shirts we'd be watching players in the 300 numbers by now.

No we wouldn't esp not the 'legacy' numbers.

It occurred to me after writing I wouldn't be adverse to retiring '14', hindsight suggests I only put that in because it is 14 and, in football terms, an irrelevant number much like 25.

If IF IF over the next 5-7years the Albion go large and Dunk sees out his career through unprecedented success, how would you feel about Johnny Hoofball holding up #5 at the start of the following season?

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Completely agree and disagree with the posters that say we should retire number 25 or number 2 for example. What a load of old balls. Love those players but retiring a shirt unless in exceptional, tragic circumstances is totally ridiculous.

To be fair even in tragic circumstances I think it's wrong, the shirt and the memory should live on. If a tragic circumstance maybe leave it unallocated for a season but then the number becomes iconic, Keegan wearing 7 at Anfield, I always think that it's a big ask for a player to take that on but then they create their own legacy in that shirt. If I had my way you'd just have numbers 1 - 25 or whatever it is and you pick from that, the only exception being Harry Winks who should have been given No 40.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
I am the only person on NSC that doesn't have a problem with this Americanization.
I would even welcome it.

Sure, not for some 17 year old wunderkid, that's just freakin stooooopid.

But I wouldn't lose my shite about an oversized '25' shirt hanging from the rafters of the West Stand, or a '14' for that matter.

1b0ef7d6c3ee29dcc74348e5df7ca984.jpg

jamie (not that one)

NSC Patron
May 3, 2012
Valencia
I am the only person on NSC that doesn't have a problem with this Americanization.
I would even welcome it.

Sure, not for some 17 year old wunderkid, that's just freakin stooooopid.

But I wouldn't lose my shite about an oversized '25' shirt hanging from the rafters of the West Stand, or a '14' for that matter.

I don't have an issue with it either and Italian clubs have been doing it for years. But yeah, for a 17 year old it's a bit ridiculous.

jamie (not that one)

NSC Patron
May 3, 2012
Valencia
No we wouldn't esp not the 'legacy' numbers.

It occurred to me after writing I wouldn't be adverse to retiring '14', hindsight suggests I only put that in because it is 14 and, in football terms, an irrelevant number much like 25.

If IF IF over the next 5-7years the Albion go large and Dunk sees out his career through unprecedented success, how would you feel about Johnny Hoofball holding up #5 at the start of the following season?

We are signing up and coming Wolfsburg starlet, Johnny Hoofball?

Out of curiosity, why 14?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
2 = Bruno
14 = Calderon
25 = Zamora

But surely if you do them then 8 = Ward etc etc?

Yeah that's what I was walking away from.
If Calde were #2 I wouldn't be championing him as 'he was a thoroughly decent chap' isn't really a retireable reason, so by that logic neither is #14.

AnotherArch

Northern Exile
Apr 2, 2009
Stockport & M62
So what would we have done with the number 4 shirt if what happened in 1965 happened today?
Barry Rees died the day after a game and he had been making a great impression, but he had only played comparatively few games and was on loan.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Tinpot.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Retiring a shirt acceptable if .... a truly exceptional player .... and ... at the club 15+ years ....and .... an exceptional relationship with the fanbase. Baresi is a good example. It would be fair for Barca to do it for Messi when he retires. Can't think of loads of other examples

or

An unspeakable tragedy involving the death of a current, respected and long serving player

There are no other excuses at all

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here