Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Billy Sharp - tweaked his ankle a little bit. (but with God's grace, might live)

SirDouglasLoft

Jul 4, 2008
Not read through the whole thread but have I got this right...

It's ok for their left back (Spurr?) to clatter Lua Lua every time and for Naylor to nearly break Barnes' leg, but Dunk's unfortunately injuring Sharp, with an honest attempt to go for the ball, results in him getting death threats and being called a **** on his twitter?

Sounds fair enough to me! ???

Diar

Apr 12, 2011
That's ok, but what people have been saying is disgusting.
Unacceptable. I'm on my iPhone so can't post a screenshot but definitely not right for a 19 year old to come under that amount of abuse.

I havent read any of it, so I trust what youre saying. It's football, and things happen. Just so totally devastating for us and some people over-react. I'd never wish any physical harm on any player, but he will have to live with the result of his actions, I'm afraid.
Only he will know if it was pre-meditated and we cant keep going down that route, but the tackle was horrendous, no matter what anyone thinks about his intentions.
I'm just hanging on to the slight chance that the reports that the injury may not be season-ending. Cant find anything out.
It must have been shattering for Bills team mates to see him carried off in the first game, knowing that it looked very bad. I, cetainly, couldnt have concentrated with that thought at the back of my mind.

Diar

Apr 12, 2011
Get a grip, you bloody drama queen.
Injuries happen - they'll be back. If yesterday was the worst day of 40 years of supporting your club, it must have been a pretty dull 40 years.

Think what you like... I just dont care.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
They're angry and pretty devastated. Things will settle down in time... but Dunk will never be forgiven, I'm afraid.

What a stupid comment. Dunk's tackle was nowhere near as bad as the Naylor one. We had to put our foot in a bit more in the second half to stop your tactics. In all honesty, I was disappointed with O'Driscoll. I thought his team were better than that but they clearly targetted LuaLua from the off.

Ironically, looking at the championship forums, most neutrals say that Naylor's tackle was the worst of the match.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Having seen it on FLS I thought Dunk was a bit lucky, BUT the ref was two yards away and had a better view than all of us. It was a bad challenge, but the lad is not malevolent.

I hope for Donny's sake (and the lad himself) that Sharp makes a quick recovery.

Agree totally. The tv guy went ott for the foul on barnes but hardly raised his voice with the dunk challenge. On second viewing the dunk one looked worse though.

And if the ref is into apologising he might wish to look at the booking of lua lua again as the tv showed him innocent of diving

c0lz

North East Stand.
Jan 26, 2010
Patcham/Brighton
the commenter reporting the match says it all,
on dunks tackle on Sharpe reports as ..clumsily done
on naylor tackle on Barnes reports as ..horrible challange awful challenge,a lunging challenge, was high and not in control

saying that i hope Sharpe makes a full recovery

Last edited:

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Agree entirely this is the worst day since we got relegated to the Conference, fook who if anybody is or may or may not be at fault. The position we find ourselves in is desperate.
The circumstances are now irrelevant, what's done is done and now we have to pick ourselves up , 'dust ouselves down' and get on with it. We have faced worse adversities than this and we will find a way of that I'm sure.
Thanks to all the decent BHA supporters who have shown their sympathies btw, seems the 'love in' can continue. ;)

I don't think any fans wish injury on a player and I like Donny as a club, always has been a good relationship between our fans. I haven't looked at Twitter but if the abuse people are giving Dunk there is true, then they really need to get a life. How pathetic and moronic can you be and as with the other poster saying Dunk will never be forgiven. He had a right to put in the challenge and it was no worst than a booking.

Anyway, hope both Sharp and Hayter recover quickly, your injury list reduces and you have a good season (except when we play you away).

Diar

Apr 12, 2011
What a stupid comment. Dunk's tackle was nowhere near as bad as the Naylor one. We had to put our foot in a bit more in the second half to stop your tactics. In all honesty, I was disappointed with O'Driscoll. I thought his team were better than that but they clearly targetted LuaLua from the off.

Ironically, looking at the championship forums, most neutrals say that Naylor's tackle was the worst of the match.

Look, I'm not talking ablout which was worse... just saying that players dont get forgiven for causing serious injury like that.
Call it a stupid comment if you want, but its a fact.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
I havent read any of it, so I trust what youre saying. It's football, and things happen. Just so totally devastating for us and some people over-react. I'd never wish any physical harm on any player, but he will have to live with the result of his actions, I'm afraid.
Only he will know if it was pre-meditated and we cant keep going down that route, but the tackle was horrendous, no matter what anyone thinks about his intentions.
I'm just hanging on to the slight chance that the reports that the injury may not be season-ending. Cant find anything out.
It must have been shattering for Bills team mates to see him carried off in the first game, knowing that it looked very bad. I, cetainly, couldnt have concentrated with that thought at the back of my mind.

Seriously, mate, you would think that it was crossed between Schumacher's assault on Battiston and Keane's tackle on Haaland from what you are saying. I don't know if you are watching the wrong tackle on the highlights or what but it was nowhere near as bad as you are making out. Gutted for you guys that Sharp might be out for a while but get a grip as the tackle was a pretty regulation one and after the way your team tried to take LuaLua out of the game in the first half and Naylor's tackle on Barnes, you are in no position to complain.

Diar

Apr 12, 2011
I don't think any fans wish injury on a player and I like Donny as a club, always has been a good relationship between our fans. I haven't looked at Twitter but if the abuse people are giving Dunk there is true, then they really need to get a life. How pathetic and moronic can you be and as with the other poster saying Dunk will never be forgiven. He had a right to put in the challenge and it was no worst than a booking.

Anyway, hope both Sharp and Hayter recover quickly, your injury list reduces and you have a good season (except when we play you away).

How can you compare my postings with those that seem to have been posted on twitter? Im not saying I agree with what will happen, just that it does tend to happen. What's pathetic and moronic about that?

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Look, I'm not talking ablout which was worse... just saying that players dont get forgiven for causing serious injury like that.
Call it a stupid comment if you want, but its a fact.

Are you a child? Of course it is a stupid comment. Dunk's challenge was less bad than Naylor's and Naylor was lucky that Barnes just about got out of the way. We have had a lot of players get serious injuries over the years and I have managed to forgive the player who did it. You have said yourself that you don't know how bad the injury is yet anyway.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
How can you compare my postings with those that seem to have been posted on twitter? Im not saying I agree with what will happen, just that it does tend to happen. What's pathetic and moronic about that?

I think saying "Dunk will never be forgiven" is pathetic to be honest. Obviously, it is not quite the same as wishing death or serious injury on him but still not a clever thing to say.

Diar

Apr 12, 2011
Seriously, mate, you would think that it was crossed between Schumacher's assault on Battiston and Keane's tackle on Haaland from what you are saying. I don't know if you are watching the wrong tackle on the highlights or what but it was nowhere near as bad as you are making out. Gutted for you guys that Sharp might be out for a while but get a grip as the tackle was a pretty regulation one and after the way your team tried to take LuaLua out of the game in the first half and Naylor's tackle on Barnes, you are in no position to complain.

Who's complaining? Please read what I say and not what you think I say.
In the annals of vicious tackles we can all remember the bad ones and rank them in order. My point was that, wether pre-meditated or not, tackles that seriously injure a player in a particular club are not forgotten by supporters of that club.
Naylors will be forgotten because no harm came of it. Dunks wont be because of its devastating consequences, no matter which was worst, or how pre meditated it was.
Not saying its right... just how it is. Ask Barnsley fans if they ever forgave Morgan for the tackle that put their player in hospital with a fracture skull. Did he mean it or not? Who knows? Was it ever forgiven? No chance.

Diar

Apr 12, 2011
Are you a child? Of course it is a stupid comment. Dunk's challenge was less bad than Naylor's and Naylor was lucky that Barnes just about got out of the way. We have had a lot of players get serious injuries over the years and I have managed to forgive the player who did it. You have said yourself that you don't know how bad the injury is yet anyway.

So have I, FFS!!!! Im saying that there are many fans out there who dont forgive such things... its a bloody fact!!!!
Dont agree with it, but it WILL happen. If you think I'm stupid, then you're naive!!

Seaber

Oct 20, 2010
Wales
It's fair enough to be angry at a Dunk because his tackle resulted in an injury to Sharp, I get that, I was livid at whoever it was who gave LuaLua the broken ankle. The name escapes me for the moment.

However, several things I've seen on the Donny forum have gone above and beyond this ire. For one, encouraging fellow fans to be highly abusive to a nineteen year old over Twitter and at the away fixture. They've hardly given him a chance to apologise, or know the extent of the injury. Some people on their forum have even suggested that it was GBH or ABH, and that they should sue. I'm sure these people are in the minority, but what the f***.

Secondly, the fans saying that in the second half we went out of our way to injury Sharp to get him off the pitch. Not only was Sharp not the most effective of their players by far, it's the idea that they are accusing Poyet of telling his players to go out their and hurt people.

I can understand a bit of bad feeling, but these accusations are sickening.

Sorry Donny fans, but Rovers DID set out their stall early, and got stuck in to break OUR concentration.
So - no sympathy for your complaints here - you dished it out but couldn't take it back. And no - your dishing was NOT "more acceptable than ours" so don't even! :wrong:

I hate to resort to "well you started it", but you damn-well did - and you got the 3 early yellow cards to prove it!

If you played football fairly in the first place, you would have probably got beat earlier - but the bottom line is that you still did not prosper, we have the 3 points

Diar

Apr 12, 2011
I think saying "Dunk will never be forgiven" is pathetic to be honest. Obviously, it is not quite the same as wishing death or serious injury on him but still not a clever thing to say.

Oh Christ! Can I put this any differently? Dont think so.
Are you thinking that what I am saying I think will happen, is an incitement for people to do it? Is that where you're possibly coming from?
Look, I condemn anything like that... I'm not a child, I'm not pathetic (unless you ask the wife) and I'm not stupid... I'm a decent, loyal football fan who is simply making an observation that players who cripple another teams players dont tend to be treated well by supporters of that team when they next meet. Are you really saying you disagree?

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
So have I, FFS!!!! Im saying that there are many fans out there who dont forgive such things... its a bloody fact!!!!
Dont agree with it, but it WILL happen. If you think I'm stupid, then you're naive!!

In all honesty, I don't remember hearing any boos at Monkhouse, the Hartlepool player who injured LuaLua, when we were at home last year and I think it is unlikely Dunk will get much abuse at the away game at Doncaster later in the year. If there is abuse, then to be honest it is pathetic and I stand by that. Irrelevant of how Sharp is, it really was not that bad a tackle.

Out of interest, do you think your players targetted LuaLua. To me it seemed a definite tactic which surprised me as I didn't think your manager or team were like that.

bennibenj

Mar 6, 2011
Sompting
Bloody hell, firstly, I hope Billy Sharpe makes a full recovery.

Injuries happen in football and of course there is sometimes a bias for your own club, but Doncaster were kicking LuaLua off the park in the first half, Barnes is a very lucky chap to have got out the way and now there are tears because we were more physical in the second half!!!! Get a grip, its football!!!!

Would be really surprised if anyone on either side went out to intentionally injure someone. I do feel sorry for Mr Sharp and also Doncaster, however not all 9 players that they have out injured were done in yesterdays match.

Best wishes to the 2 injured players though.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Oh Christ! Can I put this any differently? Dont think so.
Are you thinking that what I am saying I think will happen, is an incitement for people to do it? Is that where you're possibly coming from?
Look, I condemn anything like that... I'm not a child, I'm not pathetic (unless you ask the wife) and I'm not stupid... I'm a decent, loyal football fan who is simply making an observation that players who cripple another teams players dont tend to be treated well by supporters of that team when they next meet. Are you really saying you disagree?

See my answer above re Monkhouse for a response. Also, how has he crippled Sharp? We don't even know the extent of his injury yet and sadly, as he is a great player at this level, Sharp seems to be a bit injury prone.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here