Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Billy Gilmour

Chripper

Sep 6, 2022
Hello all.

This is my maiden post.

Before I begin... sensational performance against Arsenal yesterday. You out Arsenaled Arsenal. Kudos.

Not many teams can do that. Not just talking about in the EPL. I'm talking about teams of Earth.

Firstly, I'm not a Brighton fan. I'm a Manchester United and Scotland fan. (Scotland first, actually, as I'm Scottish)

I'm not sure what your policy is with regards to fans of rival clubs. If rival fans registering is, in any way, is frowned upon, I'll respectfully take my leave. :)

Talking of... The Brentford board is a funny one. On the register sheet, they give you options of what team you support. So you'd think that they encourage "outsiders". Wrong.

The admin told me, in no uncertain terms, they don't tolerate non-Brentford fans signing up.

They probably aren't used to fans of other clubs taking an interest in them.

Classic small club mentality.

Besides, there was a wee bit of a creepy "Deliverance" vibe in that place.

Before I begin on the gist of my post. Brighton have been a breath of fresh air in the EPL. Stylish, from top to bottom. And your brand of football is top four material. No question.

If you actually did finish above Manchester United, I wouldn't have complaints. United have been fractured this season.

I enjoy watching Brighton more than Manchester United.

Oh. For the record. You deserved the recent victory against Manchester United. The only disservice was the scoreline. Brighton should have won by at least three. Our midfield was lampooned.

I wanted to wait till Billy Gilmour got his feet under the table and delivered a couple of prime performance before I came out of hiding and gave you a dissertation on him.

If anyone has any trepidation over him because of his Norwich stint, don't.

The truth is, there he was, a 20 year old boy, who arrived on loan from the European Cup champions. Fresh from absolutely dominanting England's midfield in the Euros.

He joined Norwich City and the fans expected prime Zinedine Zidane and they expected him to keep them in the EPL singlehanded.

Sadly, the Norwich fans forgot that Gilmour had zero seasonal experience. Also, within their squad, they had no one of note.

They had a Championship standard team.

Gimour was a kid. He needed someone to learn from and someone to mentor him. He had no one. Usually, the senior players are better than the younger ones, but it wasn't the case at Norwich.

The older players probably learned more from Gilmour than the other way round. In fact, I'm sure of it.

I saw all of his matches at Norwich. He was perpetually two or three steps in front of his team-mates. The numbers and stats will prove that. He was just made the scapegoat.

If they had owned him, I'm positive players like Normann and McLean would've taken much more blame than Gilmour.

But they didn't, he was going back to Chelsea, so it was fair game to give him abuse and leave the other players alone.

Don't believe what you hear, though, I would say that the majority of Norwich fans rated him, but just saw him as "the right player at the wrong time".

As is the way of the Internet, the vocal troglodytic minority drown out the reasonable minded majority.

From a purely Scotland point of view, I'm glad that he received so much abuse. It thickened his skin and put hairs on his chest (Metaphorical hairs... which are now literal hairs on his fae)

The biggest compliment that I can give him is that it didn't affect his Scotland performances.

Besides, and this key, they expected an anchorman, for him to put out fires and be world class with his defensive positioning.

Or they expected him to be a box-to-box midfielder, someone who will carry the ball forward and send raking balls forward and score scorchers onto the top corner.

He's none of that:

He's a prototypical deep-lying playmaker.

The work of a DLP can go unseen by the fans, but not by their team-mates or manager. This is why he was so unappreciated by the Norwich fans.

His main attributes are setting the tempo of the match from build up to progression, all the way to creation.

He's great at both helping create space between the lines, and then breaking lines, recycling play, beating an opposition’s press and seeking spaces closer to goal.

He does the unglamorous and unsexy sexy things well, like, recycling the ball, knitting transitions together with simple backwards or sideways passes, but he has also has the passing range to switch play with darting passes.

He's great under pressure, he'll accept the ball even with a man on him.

His counter press is on a world class level. Always has been. His quickness of thought, knowing where everyone is, at all times, allied with his one time passing ability, assures him that he very rarely gets caught in possession.
His spacial awareness is also world class. His technical ability is top class His passing range is brilliant. His ball retention skills are brilliant.

He's the kind of a midfielder who keeps things ticking over and sets the tempo.

Like a metronome.

He's a naturally confident lad, which is why his performances didn't drop when the Norwich scapegoat. Given the platform, and if the manager shows trust in him, he'll bloom.

I'd say that there's a £100m player in there. And let's be honest, if Declan Rice goes for £80m-£100m then Billy Gilmour will easily cost that. The only thing that Rice beats Gilmour with is defensive positioning and physically. Everything else, Gilmour wins.

But they're two different players.

Anyway.

Hopefully, Gilmour gets a few more matches under his belt this season, leading up to the Norway and Georgia matches.

And I hope he breaks into the starting XI and becomes a permanent starter next season and ultimately fulfills his massive potential.

Best of luck for the remainder of the season. :)

TL;DR: "Gilmour iz gude" :p

Last edited:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Thanks for your thoughts, away fans are always welcome on here until/unless they become twattish trolls :thumbsup:

I am delighted Gilmour is now getting his chance and I‘m sure he will get plenty more game time until the end of the season. Very impressed with him on the little I’ve seen, he’s had to be very patient. Must confess I did wonder if RDZ didn’t rate him but in fairness getting into the team ahead of Caicedo and Alexis is always going to be tough.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
He has shown why we signed him recently after some average performances in the cups. Another who I think will flourish with a run in the side. May get more opportunities next season if we get to Europe. Alzate & Moder are probably coming back who are about on a par with him for me. We need at least one of those to really kick on next season…

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
He has shown why we signed him recently after some average performances in the cups. Another who I think will flourish with a run in the side. May get more opportunities next season if we get to Europe. Alzate & Moder are probably coming back who are about on a par with him for me. We need at least one of those to really kick on next season…
Not convinced they are on a par with him, he seems to have very quick feet, a good footballing brain, a bit of Scottish bite and likes a forward defence splitting pass. I think he’ll turn out better than either of them :shrug:

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Gilmour will be a great option as a deep lying playmaker and De Zerbi will only improve him.

However, I’d prefer to see him in the double pivot alongside a highly mobile, athletic and strong defensive midfielder who can read the game to a world class level. In short, if he has not got Caicedo next to him, we’re going to have to sign a similar player.

But, I think we have a number of players suitable for the deep lying playmaker role. Gilmour could well move himself to No.1 option when Mac leaves next month.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Not convinced they are on a par with him, he seems to have very quick feet, a good footballing brain, a bit of Scottish bite and likes a forward defence splitting pass. I think he’ll turn out better than either of them :shrug:
Not so long ago Moder was one of our best. He’s shown he has more to him than Gilmour.
Alzate shouldn’t be in the conversation. He’s some way behind.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
He’s taken a while to settle but when his chance came he has grasped it I am really impressed with BG

Originunknown

BINFEST'ING
Aug 30, 2011
SUSSEX
Lengthy but interesting as far as I could bring myself to read. We're all pleased Billy has had some minutes, certainly necessitated by our unfair fixture pile-up and injuries.

He could have a bigger part to play next season depending on departures and arrivals.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Welcome and great first contribution. I think we are starting to see just how good wee Billy is, but it was hard for him to break into a central midfield that included Caicedo, MacAlistair, Gross and Lallana. I think we all have great hopes for him. (And, in Brighton, we can handle multiple sentences in paragraphs and it means you don't have to scroll so much).

See :wink:

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
TL; DR

Waste enough of my life reading NSC as it is. Even scrolling through took about 30 seconds of my life I’ll never get back.

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
Didn't realise Manchester was in Scotland?

Apart from that, thanks for posting. Billy is still a young player learning the game, and a couple of seasons playing week-in week-out he'll be a great player.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Not so long ago Moder was one of our best. He’s shown he has more to him than Gilmour.
Alzate shouldn’t be in the conversation. He’s some way behind.
Not for me. Think Alzate will surprise a few next season especially under RDZ.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
I'm willing Billy to succeed. Must be hard for him on the fringes, but he'll definitely gets more opps next season.

Brok

😐
Dec 26, 2011
Hello all.

This is my maiden post.

Before I begin... sensational performance against Arsenal yesterday. You out Arsenaled Arsenal. Kudos.

Not many teams can do that. Not just talking about in the EPL. I'm talking about teams of Earth.

Firstly, I'm not a Brighton fan. I'm a Manchester United and Scotland fan. (Scotland first, actually, as I'm Scottish)

I'm not sure what your policy is with regards to fans of rival clubs. If rival fans registering is, in any way, is frowned upon, I'll respectfully take my leave. :)

Talking of... The Brentford board is a funny one. On the register sheet, they give you options of what team you support. So you'd think that they encourage "outsiders". Wrong.

The admin told me, in no uncertain terms, they don't tolerate non-Brentford fans signing up.

They probably aren't used to fans of other clubs taking an interest in them.

Classic small club mentality.

Besides, there was a wee bit of a creepy "Deliverance" vibe in that place.

Before I begin on the gist of my post. Brighton have been a breath of fresh air in the EPL. Stylish, from top to bottom. And your brand of football is top four material. No question.

If you actually did finish above Manchester United, I wouldn't have complaints. United have been fractured this season.

I enjoy watching Brighton more than Manchester United.

Oh. For the record. You deserved the recent victory against Manchester United. The only disservice was the scoreline. Brighton should have won by at least three. Our midfield was lampooned.

I wanted to wait till Billy Gilmour got his feet under the table and delivered a couple of prime performance before I came out of hiding and gave you a dissertation on him.

If anyone has any trepidation over him because of his Norwich stint, don't.

The truth is, there he was, a 20 year old boy, who arrived on loan from the European Cup champions. Fresh from absolutely dominanting England's midfield in the Euros.

He joined Norwich City and the fans expected prime Zinedine Zidane and they expected him to keep them in the EPL singlehanded.

Sadly, the Norwich fans forgot that Gilmour had zero seasonal experience. Also, within their squad, they had no one of note.

They had a Championship standard team.

Gimour was a kid. He needed someone to learn from and someone to mentor him. He had no one. Usually, the senior players are better than the younger ones, but it wasn't the case at Norwich.

The older players probably learned more from Gilmour than the other way round. In fact, I'm sure of it.

I saw all of his matches at Norwich. He was perpetually two or three steps in front of his team-mates. The numbers and stats will prove that. He was just made the scapegoat.

If they had owned him, I'm positive players like Normann and McLean would've taken much more blame than Gilmour.

But they didn't, he was going back to Chelsea, so it was fair game to give him abuse and leave the other players alone.

Don't believe what you hear, though, I would say that the majority of Norwich fans rated him, but just saw him as "the right player at the wrong time".

As is the way of the Internet, the vocal troglodytic minority drown out the reasonable minded majority.

From a purely Scotland point of view, I'm glad that he received so much abuse. It thickened his skin and put hairs on his chest (Metaphorical hairs... which are now literal hairs on his fae)

The biggest compliment that I can give him is that it didn't affect his Scotland performances.

Besides, and this key, they expected an anchorman, for him to put out fires and be world class with his defensive positioning.

Or they expected him to be a box-to-box midfielder, someone who will carry the ball forward and send raking balls forward and score scorchers onto the top corner.

He's none of that:

He's a prototypical deep-lying playmaker.

The work of a DLP can go unseen by the fans, but not by their team-mates or manager. This is why he was so unappreciated by the Norwich fans.

His main attributes are setting the tempo of the match from build up to progression, all the way to creation.

He's great at both helping create space between the lines, and then breaking lines, recycling play, beating an opposition’s press and seeking spaces closer to goal.

He does the unglamorous and unsexy sexy things well, like, recycling the ball, knitting transitions together with simple backwards or sideways passes, but he has also has the passing range to switch play with darting passes.

He's great under pressure, he'll accept the ball even with a man on him.

His counter press is on a world class level. Always has been. His quickness of thought, knowing where everyone is, at all times, allied with his one time passing ability, assures him that he very rarely gets caught in possession.
His spacial awareness is also world class. His technical ability is top class His passing range is brilliant. His ball retention skills are brilliant.

He's the kind of a midfielder who keeps things ticking over and sets the tempo.

Like a metronome.

He's a naturally confident lad, which is why his performances didn't drop when the Norwich scapegoat. Given the platform, and if the manager shows trust in him, he'll bloom.

I'd say that there's a £100m player in there. And let's be honest, if Declan Rice goes for £80m-£100m then Billy Gilmour will easily cost that. The only thing that Rice beats Gilmour with is defensive positioning and physically. Everything else, Gilmour wins.

But they're two different players.

Anyway.

Hopefully, Gilmour gets a few more matches under his belt this season, leading up to the Norway and Georgia matches.

And I hope he breaks into the starting XI and becomes a permanent starter next season and ultimately fulfills his massive potential.

Best of luck for the remainder of the season. :)

TL;DR: "Gilmour iz gude" :p

Hi Billy :wave:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here