Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Biggest financial gamble on a player by the club?

Don Quixote

Nov 4, 2008
I remember thinking 300k for Glenn was an insane amount of money. Shows how far we've come in such a short amount of time, I suppose. Or the madness of football in the past ten years or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Farrington was another bad one. I have a vague recollection that was also £100k.

£60k according to Tim Carder's book. Not sure that was a massive gamble - he had a reasonable pedigree. It didn't work out because he was permanently injured but that sort of fee wasn't excessive for a Tier 2 club.

One who hasn't been mentioned is Geoff Pitcher. Don't know how much he paid but we were in a bidding war with several clubs for him and he did cost a fair whack (when we were skint). I don't know what the final fee was but whatever it was, it was too much

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Shane Duffy seems like an absolute bargain to me

Dunno thou seems a lot when you look at it.

IMG_0041.JPG

Iovan The Sweeper

May 16, 2016
The £300k on Murray needs to be weighed up against the money that came in around the same time: we sold Alex Revell to Southend for £150k, and Dean Hammond to Colchester for £250k, so a small profit made...

...then again we did blow £50k on Jonny "Popstar" Dixon, so it wasn't all sensible transfer deals.

Iovan The Sweeper

May 16, 2016
£60k according to Tim Carder's book. Not sure that was a massive gamble - he had a reasonable pedigree. It didn't work out because he was permanently injured but that sort of fee wasn't excessive for a Tier 2 club.

One who hasn't been mentioned is Geoff Pitcher. Don't know how much he paid but we were in a bidding war with several clubs for him and he did cost a fair whack (when we were skint). I don't know what the final fee was but whatever it was, it was too much

True - Pitcher was £55k, in a season where we didn't spend a penny on anyone else. Got a very good free transfer that year though: Simon Morgan from Fulham. Great signing.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I seem to remember £115k each, which at the time were record fees paid for a non league player

We got good value for them I think. Codnor was great when he could be arsed, and Bissett was a quality centreback.

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
We got good value for them I think. Codnor was great when he could be arsed, and Bissett was a quality centreback.

Nicky Bissett still sits with the away fans watching the Albion, at random Northern outposts.

Top man.

Codner, of course, also regularly watches the Albion - he's an agent acting for a few of our first team players.

Seagulltonian

C'mon the Albion!
Oct 2, 2003
Still Somewhere in Sussex!
A few transfers that have raised eyebrows:

6. Shane Duffy (£4.46 m still seems a lot to me for a defender.)

I thought with all the figures being quoted for signing Duffy, a player who seemed to be scoring own-goals for fun, we were making a very big mistake going after him!

But, wow! I think one of the best bits of business this club has done in any transfer window!
They say a good team is built from the back-forward, with defence, and the central-pairing has been an absolute rock this season. And with Duffy and Dunk being the same sort of age, a partnership that can go on well into the future!
Hopefully no more breaks in this partnership for the rest of the season!

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Reading this thread I've come to the conclusion that we've never really gambled a massive transfer fee on a risky player.

Arguably, as someone said above, the biggest gamble is not selling Stephens in the summer, but it looks like its working out

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
People forgetting that the Murray fee was the first dip in the pocket of TB.

I'd have to say Peake as that was probably the last piece of legitimate footballing expenditure by the old regime prior to Foray484 coming into being.

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing

A gamble nonetheless, which paid off !! Breaking the transfer record for a non league player is a risk but for two is a massive gamble !

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/brig...37/plus/0?saison_id=2016&pos=&detailpos=&w_s=

This is the amount Albion paid, not how much he was sold for. From past records this includes any agent's fees etc. It seems about right.

There is nothing to suggest anything on that site is actually an accurate figure. They are not going to be privy to fees paid to agents etc. At best the figures on the site are guess work based on what was reported in the media at the time of the transfer. So I am not surprised you of all people will be quoting it as gospel.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
he also played in a friendly whilst on trial against Lewes. He looked like he'd literally never played football before or he was a fan who'd won a competition and was allowed to play for a laugh

....and then we signed him
Didn't Mark McGhee basically discard him after that friendly? And then amazingly Dick Knight forked out a massive signing on fee for him.

His agent did very well out of that

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
A few transfers that have raised eyebrows:

1) Bobby Smith I (signing on fee unknown)
2) John Napier (£25K record at the time)
3) Ken Beamish (financial begging bowl)
4) Gary Williams (first £75K transfer by a Div 3 club)
5) Mark Lawrenson (first £100K transfer by a Div 3 club) (maybe the first £100K transfer for a 19 yo? )
6. Shane Duffy (£4.46 m still seems a lot to me for a defender.)
Financial begging bowl (aka Saward's buy a player fund-raising campaign) got us Bert Murray.

johnjim

Sep 2, 2008
bexhill
Does anyone remember Micky Thomas ex MU playing for us, he cost a fortune at the time, but literally some times just didn't turn up.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here