Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Biggest Club Game In The World?

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
fergie reckons it's liverpool-man utd,what do you think?

big game yes,but celtic-rangers takes some beating

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I would say Fergie's pretty accurate. In terms of viewing figures worldwide it's a toss-up between Liverpool v Man U or Barca v Real Madrid. Certainly in global terms I can't think of any other pairing that would come remotely close. Rangers v Celtic in comparison is like Shoreham v Southwick.

D

Deleted member 18477

the reason why man utd v liverpool is no longer as big is because we now have other big clubs like chelsea, arsenal and man city challenging for the title in england.

for me it's barca v real madrid.

rangers v celtic is big but not the biggest!

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I can't believe he thinks it's bigger than Garrison Gunners vs Woolpack Wanderers. There is just no other fixture in town when they square up to each other.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Fergie in talking out of his backside shocker. What about Barcelona v Real Madrid? That's a far bigger fixture
It isn't really. It might be slightly bigger, but that is very subjective.

I wouldn't want to pick a biggest fixture from this lot. Loads of others get honourable mentions but I'd say the biggest derbies have to characterised by persistently massive crowds, usually include one or both as title contenders, and generate interest well beyond their own shores:

Celtic v Rangers
Man U v Liverpool
Barca v Real Madrid
River Plate v Boca Juniors
Fla-Flu Rio derby
Milan derby
Corinthians v Palmeiras

The Istanbul derbies are tasty, as is the Red Star/Partisan Belgrade one, not to mention the Rome and North London affairs but I doubt any of those could claim to be the biggest.

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
Biggest as measured by what???????????

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
Real Madrid vs Barcelona

is not a Derby though. A derby has to be a game betweeen two clubs withuin the same connurbation, be that a village, a town or a city for local bragging rights.

Real v Barcelona is a tribal game going back to the fascists forming a centralised Spanish state, centred on Madrid, that suppressed the Catalan identity.

Chris001

Mar 30, 2011
I would say Fergie's pretty accurate. In terms of viewing figures worldwide it's a toss-up between Liverpool v Man U or Barca v Real Madrid. Certainly in global terms I can't think of any other pairing that would come remotely close. Rangers v Celtic in comparison is like Shoreham v Southwick.

Biggest game! Depends what you mean by that? Viewing figures then possibly Liverpool v Man Utd. Most passionate, then certainly the old firm derby is in with a big shout.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
is not a Derby though. A derby has to be a game betweeen two clubs withuin the same connurbation, be that a village, a town or a city for local bragging rights.
Even if that is true, and it is debateable, that's not what we're talking about. The title says "biggest club game".

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I must be alone in having never had the remotest interest EVER in a Celtic vs Rangers game then

Real vs Barca

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
How could it possibly be Celtic v Rangers? Barca v Real, Liverpool v Man Utd etc must get viewing audiences of hundreds of millions worldwide. I highly doubt Celtic v Rangers has ever gone over a 10th of the viewership of one of these games.
Oh and it's Bray Wanderers v Drogheda Utd.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here