Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Biggest catchment area - anyone know?

curly

Jul 5, 2003
gosport
sorry but if you count newbury as part of readings catchment area you must be joking, it's dead, i uworked ther for a while

i live near portsmouth and admit pompey have alot of fans but travel down the road to chichester and brighton are the dominant team (apart from man u i suppose) but there are very few pompey fans even though fratton park is 20 minutes away, where as brighton is 50 miles away, though i was impressed when i went to my parents in northiam another 50 miles away from brighton in the other direction they were mainly brighton fans (for a small village) so a 100 mile catchment area is quite good

curly

Jul 5, 2003
gosport
ps when i worked at newbury me mates were at reading though a good night out if you you like students, was full of our asian friends and prostitutes,

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
BrightonBird said:
I think we'll be quite high being the only club in sussex in the 4 divisions, and the nearest club 2 hours away.

How do you figure that Palace is two hours from Brighton? Or Portsmouth for that matter?

berkshire seagull

Jul 5, 2003
reading
Well like wilts says its all to complicating as basingstoke is in hampshire??? and he reckons there are a lot of reading.

Reading have shite loads of clubs surrounding them and place like basingstoke are easy access to reading and in no mans land.

We are fine as we have a huge area,but the whole thing is far to complicating for my likeing grrrrrr.
The only threat to us is rearly london:lolol:

The Office of National Statistics have an Urban Area called "Reading/Wokingham", with a population of 336,000. It includes all/part of Reading, Wokingham, West Berkshire, Windsor & Maidenhead and Bracknell Forest, and has one league football club. The Urban Area is about the same size as Coventry/Bedworth (which also includes Nuneaton, Rugby and parts of Warwick District - but not the separate Urban Area called Warwick/Leamington). The population of Reading/Wokingham is smaller than the 438,000 in Brighton/Littlehampton/Worthing.

Basingstoke is counted as a separate Urban Area (population 81,000).

perth seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Wilts, isn't the population of Sussex (East, West and Brighton & Hove) actually closer to two million rather than one million?

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
CrabtreeBHA said:
we still have a large catchment area even though we have only 180degree radius.
There are plenty of fish in the sea. How about converting them?:lolol:

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
VxkVHOxYpWWcqWYGxBh640rUX-eMHwGf8gdTIhL8t7w.jpg

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Isn't that impossible to work out? Depending on how you look at it, Arsenal either have a huge catchment area (London) or a very small one (Tottenham isn't far away).

How do people reach "catchment area" conclusions? Norwich probably have miles to the nearest club, but only a few farmers live there!
Did you count that on one of their hands ???

Last edited:

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Manchester United have the whole GALAXY as their catchment area, because EVERYBODY loves them.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

That's been around for years, I love it.

I think Sussex has a population of 1.6m. Disregarding the fact that people love big clubs elsewhere, because that applies to other contenders too, shirley the 1.6m is ours. Do folk in Bognor, Chichester, Crowborough or Rye have another nearby club they naturally support in significant numbers?

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Do we get many fans from Kent and Hampshire now?
I would say so regarding Kent -on the way from Hastings to Charing Cross for both semi finals, I was amazed at how many got on the train at T/Wells and Tonbridge. As to our catchment area, I recall reading that Brighton to Worthing is the 11th biggest conurbation in the UK with a population of 500,000. Add 100,00 for Eastbourne and a similar figure for the whole of mid Sussex, then at the very least 700.000. And then there is still more within relatively close proximity (Newhaven and Seaford for example) and Hastings/ Bexhill has a combined population of 130,000.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
We do have a lot of people in the catchment area, it's quite concentrated in the strip along the coast, there are some decent sized, but not massive non league sides in those towns.

I think there is still a rich seam of new fans to be mined. Just the normal will apply. Sensible tickets prices, decent advertising and a visible public presence

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
That's been around for years, I love it.

I think Sussex has a population of 1.6m. Disregarding the fact that people love big clubs elsewhere, because that applies to other contenders too, shirley the 1.6m is ours. Do folk in Bognor, Chichester, Crowborough or Rye have another nearby club they naturally support in significant numbers?
Perhaps Portsmouth draw to an extent from the Chichester area, but that would be the only area of Sussex where we would have competition.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here